How to avoid getting seasick?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by flyhigh123, May 7, 2014.

1. fishinguy1234

fishinguy1234 fishinguy1234

Name:
    fishinguy1234
    Boat:
    No
    I've been fishing 45 years, seen it all, heard it all, doesn't seem to be any human aid, to me fishing is a Spiritual thing, Pray PRAY PRAY !!!

2. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Knot Yet
    I'm very prone to the sickness, I even get sea sick when I freedive. I haven't thrown up in years and taking meds early helps. Sleeping in the centerline of the boat also helps, the side to side motion is less intense and that's what gets me most. I use the patch and usually still feel low level sick, so I finish it off with pills. I'm gonna give ginger a try now that I hear it helps some people.

3. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Extreme cases of sea sickness - those who get sea sick even in calm seas - are very difficult to manage, but most people have a degree of motion that they're able to tolerate. I've found that you can significantly lower your chances of getting sick simply by not going out when it's rough. In calm days the vast majority of people will not get sick.

I've also found that dramamine and other similar medicine will increase your tolerance for rough seas, but only by a level or two. Thus, a person who can tolerate 2 to 3 feet seas, might be able to tolerate 3 to 4 feet seas with the help of medicine. But the same person will still get sick in 5 to 6 feet seas. As stated by others take the medicine the night before AND the day of, so that the effects have set in before you get on the boat.

Once you are sick there is little you can do besides getting off the boat or hoping the seas calm down, so avoiding it in the first place is the way to go. Don't go out when it's rough, get bigger boats, and, when on a party boat for the night, get there early so you can get the best sleeping locations near the center of the boat. That's about all you can do.

4. pukahd

pukahd Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    Nice post. I get sick 100% of the time on any over nite boat only on the way out. Once arriving to the spot and on the way home I have never gotten sick. I always just stick my finger down my throat and purge everything in my gut. Works well but it sucks.

On my own boat, as long as im driving im good if its rough.

Also, I do a lot of freediving and everytime "in the water" ONLY when the visibility is bad, I get sea sick. I do the same thing but funny as it seems I cant seem to throw up while in the water. I always have to climb back in the boat, pull off my wet suit top and purge. Im sure its because my eyes get focussed on the particles a inch from my mask which throws off my equilibrium.

Funny incident when purging after a bad viz dive....out goes my meal and my buddy popped up from his dive right in my "purge chum slick" filled with fruit and he said...wow theres a ton of bait right next to the boat and proceeded to swim through the slick !!!

Brian

5. maurice escobedo

maurice escobedo Counselor

Name:
    Esteban
    Boat:
    24' Wellcraft air slot
    Keep your focus on the horizon. That's what was taught to me. And as was said earlier, if you're pron you're pron.

6. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    Compounded scopace in nasal spray. Stevens RX for you SoCal folks. 2 shots in ONE nostril. Works awesome. I hate the Scopalamine patch. It feels like way over-medicated for me.

Compounded Scopace tablets work great. But, if a person doesn't let me know they're feeling sick until I see them puke, it's pretty tough to get them to recover by taking another Scopace capsule. They often puke it up in 10-30 minutes.

The nasal spray goes to work RIGHT AWAY. Doesn't matter if the person pukes right after, it's already in the system. Love the stuff!

I remind people, drink and snack. Snack and drink. I don't give two shots if they think they are thirsty or not, hungry or not. Snack and drink. Sip of that's all. But keep the stomach working. Keep the mouth chewing. Being tired and weak make one more prone to seasickness. Eating and drinking help fight those issues. I tell my guests to let me know if they start feeling tired. Short of them being hungover (which is not allowed aboard my boat) and having no sleep the night before, tired is a sure sign they are beginning to get sick. If they fess up when they start getting tired, a Scopace capsule or the nasal spray has ALWAYS fixed them up.

7. ChuyG

ChuyG Member

Name:
    Jesus
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    First let me say that the only thing I'm an expert in is chuming over the rail! I'm a pharmacist and have tried every legal medication to prevent sea sickness and still get sick 9 out of 10 times. This time I decided to try something a bit different.

One of the remedies I've read about is sucking on a lemon at the first sign of MS. So I took some sliced lemons on the boat, then took it one step further....Atomic Warheads! It worked! I don't know how, but I didn't chum the water! I hope it works next time, too!

8. RequiemSCfisher

RequiemSCfisher Newbie

Name:
    Spencer Fort
    Boat:
    notakayak
    any suggestions on substitute for coffee? i can't get out early without my morning caffeine. But it does seem to always make me feel alot worse.

9. MRC70

MRC70 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MRC
    Boat:
    not yet
    I always drink hot lemon ginger tea. It doesnt have caffeine but is good for settling your stomach. Or, if you need a jolt try grapefruit ginger yerba mate. Comes cold in a can. The brand is Guayaki and it's delicious and good for stomach.

10. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    It is always good to have at least one designated chumer on board.

11. Eli Choe

Eli Choe Newbie

Name:
    Lineman173
    Boat:
    Everyone has there own way to fight sea sickness the only way to fight sea sickness is by experimenting until you find a way it works for you. I usually get actual ginger and eat some with my meal and chewing on some ginger gum helps me out. The more your on a boat is the only way to fight it.

12. gettingbentwithbo

gettingbentwithbo Get Bent!

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    14' Starcraft SF SS
    I personally just start drinking as soon as I get on the boat. Trick my mind into thinking im drunk and not sea sick.

MRC70 likes this.
  13. erndog

erndog PESCADOR

Name:
    Ernesto
    Boat:
    Triumph "La Lolita"
    One thing that helped me out was a bag of sour patch kids I had left in a backpack weeks before.
    Saved my life.

14. jim isbell

jim isbell Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    I know a commercial fishing guy, he goes out every year for about four months, and he tells me that every single--damn year, he is sick the first day or so. He just takes it, real bad the first day, better by the next. In the old days, when people crossed the ocean, no, they did not ALL get used to it--some died. One thing I know for a fact, it is not psychological. For forty years, I have used Scopolamine and it has worked, but now, it isn't made in the tablets anymore--other than a compounding pharmacy and good luck finding a Doc to write you a script for it--good luck. Point is, I'm in the same boat, the patch is BS cause they only give you a few, it is expensive and is good for three days, but I only need a few hours. What am I doing? Trying Ginger now, I'll let you know how it goes. For me, to answer your question, and I know it can be different for different people, but for me, you bet. For life.

15. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    I kept bugging our Family Doctor, till She Finally gave
    in ,and gave Me one, like her More then ever Now.

16. jim isbell

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    A nice guy on this site has offered to help me via where he works. But I can tell even that Doctor really isn't comfortable and I don't think I want to push it anymore. I have read that these days, Scopolamine is used as a date rape drug--you can't abuse it with the patch, but you can the tabs. I can understand why ANY doctor just says no, once again an example of the criminal element taking something from you and I, sort of ruining it for everyone.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    jer dog likes this.
  17. backlash54

backlash54 Newbie

Name:
    Bruce Schultz
    Boat:
    Redfin
    THIS WORKS:
    My wife when undergoing chemotherapy, was prescribed a drug called Zofran for her nausea. It worked, and I got the idea that this would be the perfect seasick medicine. It is. At the time, it cost $25 a pill but now that it's in generic form, the cost is only a couple dollars.
    ONDANSETRON is the generic form.
    While on a Coast Guard boat anchored in a shallow bay, I became sick to my stomach after eating a big meal and watching TV on the tossing boat. Took a pill and made it through the night.
    While coming in from offshore on a sportfishing boat, we were taking 6-foot beam seas with minimal intervals and no one could walk. I popped a pill and was fine for the ride in while everyone else suffered.
    While fishing offshore on a miserably hot day, with stinky bait and no wind, I became a bit nauseous. One pill did the trick.
    During an overnight tuna trip in the roughest seas I've ever fished in, a friend started feeling bad. I gave him a pill and he was fine for the rest of the trip.
    During a recent trip to the Baja, my sister fought a tuna for 40 minutes before landing it. She started getting sick midway through the fight and I popped a pill in her mouth and within minutes she was fine.
    This is a commonly prescribed drug, and doctors regularly write scrips for it. My urologist recently prescribed a whole bottle of these when I had a kidney stone attack a few months ago, so I now have a nice supply.
    The side effects list has a few things, but I've never noticed anything bad from taking them.

18. jim isbell

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    Thanks Bruce, I will look into that one; I think I have the worst Doctor out there in terms of writing me a script for anything, but at least if this one is not controversial, and is made, I might find someone who would write it for me. Thanks again

19. jim isbell

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    Bruce, I just read the packaging insert information for the drug, it sounds like it really should work very, very well. On a funny side, it says to "be careful if you do anything that requires being alert". I guess for guys fishing offshore, we should be OK

20. jim isbell

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    That's all great advise, but to my knowledge, the only pharma that made Scopace tablets no longer makes em, and you need to go to a compounding pharmacy to get em made. AND, after 20 plus doctors I've called, not a one will write the script.