How to avoid getting seasick?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by flyhigh123, May 7, 2014.

1. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Bangarang

Name:
    flyhigh123
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Ok, i love to fish. I fish almost every weekend. Lately, i've been taking my boat out to the salt and fishing local waters...

One problem i have is that I get seasick. When i used to do overnights, a few times in the summer, i would wear the seasick patch and that would help.

However, i'm looking to start fishing the local so cal waters on my small alum boat a lot more, and i don't want to drug up every time i go out.

Out of the last 3 trips, i yaked once, seasick once, and one time i was fine.

The more I go out, does my body adjust and get better? Or is this how its going to be forever...

Andy12345, 125mph and scarygary55 like this.
  2. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    You can try Scopace. It's similar to the patch, but in pill form and shorter acting. Levsin SL is another short acting pill that may help. They all have the potential to make you tired, dry mouth etc. Ginger capsules can work for the nausea.
    If you're prone, that's that.... I work with a lot of folks that do multi day trips that feel sick before we hit the Coronados, but still go. LOL

3. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    www.steven RX .com will make you scopace .04 mg, their in costa mesa.

denis and Bigb123 like this.
  4. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    I yak almost every time I get on a boat. I like fishing so much I just put up with it.
    I've tried all the drugs and don't like any of them. Dry heaving on drugs is a lot less fun as blowing full on chunks.

Try not drinking coffee before or during a trip. I just learned this one last year and it seems to have helped. I can hold on to my stomach for at least 3 more hours now than when I started with a coffee.

Drive the boat, this usually helps me. Take the boat off auto pilot and you'll forget about being sick just trying to stay on course.

Cut yourself. You'll worry more about bleeding out than being sick.*

Lays potato chips. Tons of salt for some reason helps me.

Lots of wind in my face (not while puking). Fresh cold air helps.

Keep going, just go fishing and don't think about getting sick. Make sure you get good sleep before a trip.

Don't put stuff you use the most in low places. When I dip my head in to the bilge or in to a hatch inside the boat I'll go instant green. Don't do that.

Don't change your underwear. I catch more fish by not changing my drawers for days.

*Just Kidding

5. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    in my experience, the more you go (regularly), the less you'll feel it.

x2 on skipping coffee.

6. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft

I am one of those assholes who have never had any kind of motion sickness.........but my poor wife who almost always goes out with me is not so lucky, Like Jason. Driving the Boat has worked better than anything else and I think it forces you to keep in contact with the horizon line........add this with a touch of Medical M & she is good to go!

7. Juny

Juny Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jorge Bee
    Boat:
    15' Gregor
    I will try some of that last portion next time I'm out there.

Sucking on a Lemon has worked for me in the past.

8. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    its interesting, from my experience, I get seasick whenever I sleep towards the front of the boat, and usually only get sick at night on the way out, while traveling to the fishing grounds. A lot of times I'll end up throwing up once in the middle of the night. Ill feel fine the first couple hours, then go downstairs, fall asleep by like 12 1, then out of nowhere while im sleeping Ill wake up feelin nautious like maybe 2 am or so, and I try to fight it for like an hour before I feel it coming up and run up to the deck to throw up. But after I throw up, Ill go back to sleep without any issues. Then when I wake up at like 4 or 5, or whenever the boat reaches the grounds, I'll have a cup of coffee, and this will bring back my nautiousness. However, as long as Im eating all day, I wont get sick again. So a lot of times ill just be constantly eating, like every half hour-hour, breakfast burrito, chips, more chips, crackers, candy, lunch, whatever i can find. Then by like 11-12, even if I stop eating, It wont come back to haunt me again, UNLESS its super wavy out.

I tried the seasick patch last season. It helped me a lot, but It didnt help my friend at all. I gave him 2 patches too, and he still couldnt get out of his bunk all day last season on a day and a half trip. Sucked for him.

jim slawson likes this.
  9. Git er Dun

Git er Dun Newbie

Name:
    Jim Fry
    Boat:
    Git er Dun
    Soda crackers and ginger ale, it works for my girlfriend and she'd tried everything on the shelf plus a presciption from the doctor and still got sick. So it's crackers and ginger ale with rough water and everything is great.

slapazz likes this.
  10. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    I don't get sea sick but my fiance does and we found somehting that works really well for her. Take the meds the night before right before you go to bed...full dose. When you wake up in the morning that you're fishing take another dose. This allows it to be at full concentration in your blood well before you're on the water. Doing this is what finally kept her from getting sick. You see a lot of people taking them like 15 minutes before they get on the boat and they're already sick before the meds have a chance to do their job.

Paul Ward, djii, Tuna Hawk and 9 others like this.
  11. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Bangarang

Name:
    flyhigh123
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    thanks for the tips... i'm trying to stay off any medication for the inshore trips... dont want to be on the patch every week...

i'll try the ginger ale and crackers and bring some lemons with me...

some days im ok, some days im not...

this last sunday, the swells got to me...

12. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    sea sickness is about 3-10% in your inner ear and about 97-90 % pyscological....over and over a hot bite has cured even those who are puking bile ...
    the more you worry about it the sicker you will get.My son has a friend that got sick on a trip on a large boat on about a flat calm a day as you can expect...the reason for two weeks before they went all he could talk about is am I gonna get sick....so delete this thread don't respond to anyone about it and quit worrying about it

ScaleyOne, fly liner and Lone Shark like this.
  13. OIF VET

OIF VET Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    nope
    Don't drink the night before is I think a big one. Take Bonnie the night before and then like an hour before you go out. Let it get to full strength in your system. I know you don't want to take meds but it works . If you still don't want to take meds as soon as you feel green throw up. Many people feel better when they throw up so just get it over with. Also like stated above avoid putting your head down fast and looking in compartments. When you throw up just throw up in the middle of your trolling spread it attracts the yellers.

Olddog8, slapazz and InRodWeTrust like this.
  14. Idatuna

Idatuna Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Bog Jumper
    Plenty of sleep before you get on the boat. and your wife's diazepam for the ride out. yes, totally sexist advice.

ScaleyOne and 7raptor like this.
  15. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    7UP, Saltines, Eyes on the horizon & fresh air. And being as well hydrated as possible. Phsycology is also like 90% IMO. Get yourself distracted.

ScaleyOne, Willdoggy and slapazz like this.
  16. Rehabfishin

Rehabfishin Member

Name:
    BC
    Boat:
    Urmom
    Try Quease Ease, developed initially for post op sickness. And is supposed to work even if you already seasick. Can't paste the link!!!
    They sell it at West Marine. Read the reviews
    Good luck

ScaleyOne likes this.
  17. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    People get sick for a lot of reasons because of things they do before going, if this only happens once in a while then that is you... however people who get sick more times than not have a problem with their inner ear. they will not out grow it, get over it or any of the other suggestions you have read above.

If your sick and want instant relief, that is easy... just get out of the boat... this is not an option for me, I don't like the cold water.

sea sickness is caused by a mixed signal to the brain from the inner ear and what your eyes are seeing, your brain thinks that you are being poisoned and this is why you puke, you will not stop puking because your brain continues to think you are being poisoned. I never got sea sick, ever, and never took anything, then I got a real bad ear infection and ever since then i will get sick every time I am on the water. I have tried every over the counter and every home remedy I have ever heard and none of it did shit. I used Sturgeron forte, started taking it the day before and wouldn't eat anything for dinner the night before going and not eating until I got back... it was only marginally effective. Then I discovered Kwells... same ingredients as scopace but only half as much, and you don't need a prescription to get it... have to buy it on line, it is made by Bayer and is sold in AU. go to epharmacy.com . This stuff is the shit, I can take it a half hour before going and it is all good. if you are sick you can take it, let it melt in your mouth, and it will still work.

I would go and get sick every time and would not come in until everyone else was ready to call it a day, on my boat so I could come in if I wanted to. My friends thought I was nuts, knowing i would get sick and go anyway, then being sick and staying out... I just said, man up pussy and fish. Kwells made fishing fun again, every time.

ScaleyOne and 757-guy like this.
  18. Arima-bob

Arima-bob pescadore n jäger

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    Man, I get sea sick in a bath tub! I have found the best luck with the cheap store brand (usually wal-mart) motion sickness pills. I take one before I go to bed, and another about an hour before the boat leaves, and one more about 4-6 hours into the trip. This works for me, and this is what I have people that go my boat do. No issues yet (except when nothing is taken).

19. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    I agree with everything Jason said and the don't show up hungover advice.
    When I was a kid, I'd be the only person on the boat sick, and I'd be violently ill.
    Now, I haven't been sick in many years over more than 100 trips. Knock on wood because being seasick is the worst. Btw imo anyone who makes fun of someone who is seasick is a pos.
    I don't take any meds anymore, so I think you can "grow out of it" to some extent. Individual mileage may vary,

One thing I used to do when I got sick was to tense up and "fight" the roll of the boat.
    Now I take the mindset that I'm surfing or skateboarding and relax and "ride" it.

I still get queasy at times if it's dark out and/or I'm enclosed in the cabin.
    I try to minimize those situations and also don't go when it's rough.
    Even when I don't barf rough isn't fun. I'll go in a couple days when it smooths out.

20. jigstrike

jigstrike SCUBA Spearing Daddy

Name:
    Tom McKinney
    Boat:
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    There is a lot of research out there to show that ginger works well. Load up before you go out.

And the electric wrist bands work very well too even after you are sick.

Trinidad1972 likes this.