HOW TO APPLY FLEX COAT optimal time & consistency

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by geebee, Apr 13, 2018.

1. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    Hi, what is the optimal time you've found to work the Flexcoat around the guides?

Do you let it set up a few minutes or start applying right away?

At what point does it become too thick to work?

I'm mixing between 70-80 degrees ambient temp.
    My dryer is 9 RPM.
    I'm using the supplies paint brushes.

It's runny for about the first 4-5 guides, then gets thick and hard to apply for last 4 guides.

However, I can see how the thick consistency could be desired because it lays down a thick coating.

It's just that window doesn't last very long - should I have to mix two batches to do 9 guides or am I missing something?

2. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    One thing I missed on this rod (my initial coating of the threads) is pouring the mixed Flex Coat out on aluminum foil, I guess that would have increased my optimal working time. But my using it from the plastic mixing cup was to paint a fast thin primer coat (it just got thick unexpectedly fast)...

3. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    I have used a ton of Flexcoat. You just need to learn to work more quickly. You should have no problem doing 9 guides from a single batch. Once the Flexcoat is mixed start applying it immediately. You should be able to do a single guide in 10 or 12 seconds and the complete rod should not take more than 2 minutes. I have tried all of the tricks of pouring it out on aluminum foil, the bottom of a coke can etc but I get excellent results straight from the plastic mixing cup. Apply it quickly, hit each wrap very briefly with a propane torch as you rotate the rod then let it set for 30 or 45 seconds with the guides pointing up. All of the excess epoxy will sag to the bottom of the wrap and make a quick pass with your brush to remove the excess. Put the rod on your dryer and after a few minutes check for any bubbles that may have formed late. I have dryers from 3 rpm to 12 rpm and they all give the same final result. I have done hundreds of rods this way with excellent results. Other people have their own special tricks but this is what works for me.

geebee likes this.
  4. rodblder

rodblder I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none at this time
    I just redid 2 rods, one 8', one 9', mixed one cup of flexcoat in the small mixing cups, did all the guides on both rods before it started to thicken. I'm in my mancave, temp in the mid-hi 60's....You'll get faster with practice......

JTrelikes and geebee like this.
  5. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    I've never seen Flex coat setup fast enough to not get 10 or more guides coated,even when it's a 100* degrees out in the garage.And i'm in no hurry to coat them.I mix thoroughly,let it sit for a few minutes,mix again and coat guides.

geebee likes this.
  6. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    Everybody applies finish differently, so you'll need to take all this advice and figure out for yourself what works for you.

I apply by hand to a rod I'm rotating by hand with a brush and I've found 15 minutes to be a "normal" working time before the chemical hardening makes the finish too viscus for my liking. I generally do 4 or 5 coats on a rod and apply thin coats of finish to every thread layer, because I hate bubbles and the more the finish thickens the harder it is for the bubbles to escape (even with flaming).

There's no law that says you have to mix enough finish to complete the project from one batch. I usually mix two small batches (2 ml of each) to do a rod. I'm very experienced and know how much I can use in the time before it starts thickening.

I mix it in the cup and apply from the cup too, bubbles and all, because the bubbles burst easily as long as the finish is fresh when flamed. OH, you don't need much heat either.

7. rodblder

rodblder I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none at this time
    You also might not had an exact 50/50 mixture of the resin and hardener.

plj46 and geebee like this.
  8. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    These are especially useful tips to me, I have a problem with very small bubbles and buildup inside the top where it is hard to get at (it sort of looks like the Milky Way in there, been hitting it with a hair dryer) - I can't hardly wait to start my second rod now to use your new tricks ... thank you.

The experience on everyone's workflows, especially time windows, are helping me figure out my approach - much easier than trying to figure it out on my own.

9. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    if it's too hot mix the flex coat , put it in the fridge{covered}, and cool it down. 80's is too hot and making it kick off faster. start with the small guides first , it takes less time to coat them , and less set up time for the finish. if the finish starts to setup , you can use a hair drier to get it flowing , but it will be hard to do.

10. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    if it sets up that quick your mix is off (not 50/50) or you are slower than slow......

11. jg125

jg125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    2004 Proline 33 WA
    I never rush when applying finish if it starts to become unworkable I mix another batch.

12. SALTYDAWG

SALTYDAWG Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sold it
  13. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    I think flex coat is the slowest setting up. Ton a ton of rods and never had it setup doing 2 at a time. I use a heat gun with 18rpm motors. I can get it pretty hot and it won't drip off going that fast. I mix the shit out of it and the bubbles come out easy when it's hot. I use heat 3-4 times when it's in the dryer.
    Lots of ways to do it, just keep at it until you find one that works for you.

Saltydawg (Bill) does some great videos on here by the way

Cubeye likes this.
  14. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Mr. Saltydawg uses a 200 RPM motors with a clutch and wide brushes at least in this SaltyDawg rod building video putting finish on a rod.

(We are apple & oranges apart in approach with my 8RMP and tiny brush and no clutch ... that's why I didn't post it earlier).

In review, Mr. Saltydawg does discuss his approach to getting the finish on the guides in depth ... could use some extreme close ups of his detail working, imho, but great info, professional rod building tips & tricks overall.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  15. JTrelikes

JTrelikes I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat:
    Bubba Jean 28
    Wish decades of experience could be put into a paragraph or two of text.

16. SALTYDAWG

SALTYDAWG Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sold it
    Right???

17. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    The problem with experience is there's only one way to get it.

SALTYDAWG, JTrelikes, cmepen and 2 others like this.