Dexter Outdoors

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
I have solid spectra line on my reels, and I am asking on how to add additional spectra to the reels? I have lost some to tangles and line abrasion over the years., so I feel the need to add more spectra---same lb. strength.
I realize this topic may have been addressed before, but with this new BD format, I don't know how to access it.

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    My suggestion is to use a reliable knot, then top off the line, then -- if the new line is likely to come into routine play -- take your reel into your favoriate shop and have them reverse the line.
    If you buy the top-off length of line at the shop, they may include the line-flip as a service.
    Tight lines,

Reactions: Hotroddin
    Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I have solid spectra line on my reels, and I am asking on how to add additional spectra to the reels? I have lost some to tangles and line abrasion over the years., so I feel the need to add more spectra---same lb. strength.
    I realize this topic may have been addressed before, but with this new BD format, I don't know how to access it.
    So it depends on how much spectra you want to add. I always want that connection to be buried in the spool, so I do a reel to reel removal or line stripper, then add the new spectra first. Then uni to uni, then the rest of the spectra. That way you'll probably never see that knot again.

Upvote 0

Tymeflyme

Almost A Member
    Feb 14, 2012
    Albuquerque
    Name
    Vince
    Boat
    Isabel
    I just added some solid Dept Hunter line like time on the water explained but I doubled both ends into Hollow Ace about 5’. I can’t say it’s the best method till I try it on them big Bluefin next month😎

Reactions: maguro51
    Upvote 0

KXKH

Feb 28, 2018
    NorCal
    Name
    Boat
    19' Hobie
    Solid into hollow then solid again. I like to leave the tag end on the hollow long enough on both ends to serve onto the solid then back up to the hollow and finish with a rizutto knot. PR Bobbin with solid to solid works too, I've done it with no failure to date.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Solid to solid. Back to back uni.
    So it depends on how much spectra you want to add. I always want that connection to be buried in the spool, so I do a reel to reel removal or line stripper, then add the new spectra first. Then uni to uni, then the rest of the spectra. That way you'll probably never see that knot again.

Done proper. Solid to solid in all diameters. Back to back uni dab of glue

Disclaimer. Done proper

2 different diameters back to back uni. Require a different amount of wraps per diameter. To stack with no imperfections

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    You could also change all of it to hollow spectra and in the future easily splice whenever needed with no knots of any kind. It would be smoother line that is easier on the fingers too. Food for thought...

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    Why jack off the dog to feed the cat? If your line is in question from years of use. Yank it and trash it. Start new and go fish!
    I change a portion of my spectra most years. It’s usually only a short amount at the top and the next 400+ yards are near perfect.
    Most of my reels are spooled with hollow so I just splice on new line. Solid to solid I use a hollow sleeve, as was already mentioned.

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    Strongest easiest way to do it is a bimini to bimini.

Make sure you do 40 turns on the bimini in braid.

• Haha
    Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

egarratt

Aug 11, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Eddie G
    Boat
    None
    I spend at a minimum $1000.00 before any trip that is more than say 4 days. Usually get reels serviced, hooks, maybe a new rod/reel, spectra, on and on.

Why would i skimp on a $100 spectra. Replace the damn stuff every now and then and be sure that if you hook something substantial it's one last thing to worry about and pull hard.

Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
    Pinedale WY USA
    Name
    Dave Harper
    Boat
    17 Crestliner
    Solid to solid. Back to back uni.

Done proper. Solid to solid in all diameters. Back to back uni dab of glue

Disclaimer. Done proper

2 different diameters back to back uni. Require a different amount of wraps per diameter. To stack with no imperfections
    Uni to Uni with braid is not a strong knot at all (tested by Sportfishing Magazine a few years back). They actually found no knots were good, except the hollow splice, and recommended respooling with fresh line if you have lost too much.....

Reactions: Juanba
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Uni to Uni with braid is not a strong knot at all (tested by Sportfishing Magazine a few years back). They actually found no knots were good, except the hollow splice, and recommended respooling with fresh line if you have lost too much.....

I tie solid to solid very different then anyone else, I have ever seen

But I don't doubt the results. Ideally, I would go hollow to hollow inline spectra to spectra splice, for high diameters. Or to get super high performance. Hollow to top shot sato crimp inline splice

But living ocean front jungle, uni to uni, proper. We don't have the same scene technical scene

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
    Apr 5, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    The X
    Why jack off the dog to feed the cat?
    What in the ever loving fvck....?????? Adding that to my repertoire for sure.....lol.

In all seriousness, I agree with many of the above. Get new line. The words "over the years" are what I'm referring to. Money and time spent on each trip is not worth my worry about line. Not sure what weight or reel we're talking about, but I like to fish with confidence in my gear. In no way do I want to be pulling hard and be worried about some uni-uni or other connection buried in my reel. Next time...spool with hollow....problem solved.

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    I’m sorry but I don’t believe people are changing out their spectra every year. That’s one of the benefits of using spectra, to not have to change it out every trip or year. With 25-30 spectra-backed reels it would cost the value of a long range trip to change it completely out. The majority of the line on your reels has probably never been off the reels. Why change out new line? The connections are relatively easy. Find what you’re comfortable with and fish with confidence.

Reactions: ZZZZZ and Bill W
    Upvote 0