How Tall is Your Boat

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by tacklejacked, Apr 21, 2010.

1. tacklejacked

tacklejacked Capt./ Ho if I get to drive

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    As the pennies are being saved for a new bigger ride in the next year or so, I need to add the appropriate storage. I have always dry stored my boat in my garage. The problem is my biggest garage door right now is 10'. So an addition is necassary before the boat.

My question is easy. How tall is the tallest point on your boat while its on the trailer. This is directed at those with 24-26 offshore aluminum boats, or 21-22 foot 1/2 or 3/4 hardtop style boats. My current boat options are Duckworth, Northriver, Weldcraft, Thunder Jet and Nw Jet, and a couple more.

Thanks in advance.:food-smiley-014:..Just boat type and Height would be great.

2. outtadablu

outtadablu Gettin' Ready to go KILL some fishes

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    26' Osprey "Outtadablu"
    Greg - Mine's a 26' Osprey and I have a tall radar arch mounted on top, with all that said, when on the trailer the tallest point on my boat is 13'2" off the ground.

3. The Peddler

The Peddler I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    "Permanent Waves"
    For a North River Off Shore Pilot House style, you're going to need a 14-ft door. This will be required for radar clearance, rocket launchers and all-around/anchor light. We looked at building a "boat port" for Green Wasabi's 24-ft O/S, and this is what we figured.

4. BugeaterInWa

BugeaterInWa Fear the Corn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    Just curious... Im assuming since ya live in Seabeck that you would keep the Hewes for the beach launching options?

I have no interest in buying it, just curious.

Matt S.

5. FLASHER

FLASHER Don't Fight the "Flasher"

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Raider 24'
    24 Raider Pilothouse. I agree with peddler... assume a 14' door for all types of pilothouse boats. My distance off ground is around 13' with my radar on top.

Flasher

6. Willapa

Willapa Member

Name:
    Stu
    Boat:
    24' North River Seahawk O/S
    I have a 24' North River Offshore that I've measure to be 13 ft. at the highest point (anchor light) while on the trailer.

7. trackerputnam

trackerputnam Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    26' Striper "Just Keep Fishing"
    26' Striper with radar. 13' tall.

8. The Jerry Dean

The Jerry Dean Newbie

Name:
    Warren
    Boat:
    24' North River O/S
    Yep, confirmation.

9. pura vida

pura vida Pura Vida II

Name:
    Gene Miller
    Boat:
    Pura Vida II, 500 mile range
    Greg, The top of my radar dome is 13 feet 5 inches. Mkae it bigger than you need as it may be used for RV's one day. Mine boat garage has a 14 foot high X 14 foot wide opening.

10. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    My last three boats were not aluminum as you requested, but they were 23-25' and they all needed a 14' high door....

14' is a safe size as that is the ODOT standard for most "normal" over passes. Anything else is considered a low pass....

11. tacklejacked

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Thanks guys. 14 ft seems to be about right. Its kinda hard to add once you build..so build it bigger.

Matt. I would love to keep the Hewes for local use, but if I want the new ride sooner than later it would probably have to go. That is the reason Im still eyeing a 21-22ft partial hard top style. I could still launch with ease on the Canal and drag it to Eastern Wa for summer camping trips on Roosevelt. The 24-26ft idea is still in the back of my head though because I spend about 30-40 days a year fishing from Sekiu to Lapush, and a nice off shore boat would be a dream to have for those days......

Hell I just need two fuckin boats...:frehya2:

12. bigdood

bigdood I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    Nauti Dawg
    What year Searunner you got? I just missed out on a deal on one.

13. Guemite

Guemite Captain

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    2301 Striper "At Last"
    13 feet with a 10" radar tower..

14. BugeaterInWa

BugeaterInWa Fear the Corn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    Im thinking that you and I like to fish some of the same areas. I figure for up here the best overall boat for MY (family included) needs would be a 20' with a rigid soft top.

Why? well I could still comfortably launch ANYWHERE, beach, etc. Could have a 60 gallon gas tank on a 20' so plenty of fuel. 150 Yamaha on the back side and it would be good to go. Cheaper to trailer than a bigger boat and easier. Easier to garage...

Im kinda in the same boat as you. Keep thinking about that Pilot House... with TWINS... then I think about the gas, trailering, storage...

I keep going back to a 20' rigid soft top, off shore bracket, 50-60 gal of fuel, thick bottom... Just gotta pick a builder, I like my Boulton and at this point I would probably build another Boulton.

I feel your pain, good luck in your quest.

15. Jailer1

Jailer1 Sea Raider

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    24ft North River o/s Seahawk The Pelagic Expresss
    Last year when I bought a new garage for my boat, that came with a house I had the same problem. My North River o/s. measured out at around 13ft. with the light. So I had to get an rv garage with a 14ft. door. fits perfectly. Most full size rv doors that I looked at had 14ft tall doors. Good luck!

16. tacklejacked

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:

Its a 2002. Its a great boat, still looks new and has all kinds of Mod's...When the time comes to sell it will show up here first....I dont need some craigslist freak pounding on my door.

17. tacklejacked

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I hear ya...The other thing is the funny looks I get from people when I show up at the C closure for hali.....and the nasty comments in radio land from frieght captains when Im out at swiftsure....just sayin...

But do agree the 20-22ft range is the best all around option...and is probably what Ill end up with, for now.

18. Tower Todd

Tower Todd Number #2

Name:
    Todd S.
    Boat:
    274' Long Range
    Build the 14' Door and never worry. That gives you a whole bunch of flexibility for the future.

TT

19. lugger

lugger Newbie

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    Black Pearl
    mine with hard top with radar and gps antennas ect above radar is 13.6 ft

When I bulid a grarage or storage it will have 14ft tall doors and 12 ft wide as 14 is the limit you will find on road so the tallest moterhome or what ever goes down the road will fit . and the extra wide door is nice

Friend bulit a shop with 4 of those doors and its sweeeeeet and he rents 2 spaces to friends with coaches .