3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Simply put? Anybody might know what the circa is on these GUSA's
Labeled 85 Mega mag prototype 40. I've gots its brother as well labeled the same but with 20-40 IMO it out matches the modern day Mega's but that's just me. Pics below (am I wrong at guessing 25yrs+. I don't know. I do know the company went through changes over time)

IMG_5606.JPG

IMG_5599.JPG

IMG_5607.JPG

Last edited:

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    How long have you had it? I'd guess that because it's a GUSA, it has to be at least early 2000s. I have a prototype UC that was probably 2005-ish, maybe a bit later, and I know at that time the GUSA mega/monster/mag names were pretty well established. Those could be pre-Roy Hastings era. I cannot remember when he took over, but those models were definitely in existence and production when he took over.

Reactions: SMYLEE

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    I have a mag 80 from the 90s. As I recall. I still use it always. They were custom made at bob sands but did not have dates on them.

Reactions: SMYLEE

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
    May 29, 2005
    Sd/Oc
    Name
    danny
    Boat
    Hall pass
    Pre-Arizona was the time to get 'em for sure! Some colorful threads on here around the time that migration happened! QC and integrity went out the door, apparently.

i know exactly what u mean brutha! I have to agree with you 100%. If you guys love UC stuff then you would have been a fan of gusa 100%.
    I ordered a set of 8.5 footers right before the az factory shut down. It was ok but the coating was jacked. There were white blisters all over. I don’t blame her one bit either! I still have a set of the originals and that green 80monster.........!

Reactions: Mtnfshr and SMYLEE

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Thank you all for the info I've had them for years. Always loved them. Caught everything that swims with them. (Besides WSB 😡) Then decided to find out what they were. The writing is going vertical starting 2-4" from the butt of the rod. I've always loved how light and STRONG they were and never cared to have more then these 2 so it was to my surprise when I removed the haplyon. This whole time I thought they were relatively new. Since all I really fish besides these is old glass. Apparently I am a fan of GUSA!! To bad the new Megas aren't anything like these. And The clear coats gorgeous on these no bubbles nada. Beside the guide wraps fading. there still practically brand new.

Reactions: 45king

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    How long have you had it? I'd guess that because it's a GUSA, it has to be at least early 2000s. I have a prototype UC that was probably 2005-ish, maybe a bit later, and I know at that time the GUSA mega/monster/mag names were pretty well established. Those could be pre-Roy Hastings era. I cannot remember when he took over, but those models were definitely in existence and production when he took over.
    They are definelty older then 2005 I got them in 07.. They were passed over to me from a family member who used to take us out to fish bass in the kelp as kids/teens. Then he moved to Ohio and I remained the only one in the group fishing. They stayed wracked for a LONG time, as I got carried away with life and my beloved sabre's. But as of last 2 years I had at least one of them on the boat. Plus My wife loves them because they are light. But Because of my obsession and love of glass. I was always fine with telling myself they might be old American made phenix's while leaving them behind. But wow GUSA... you'd never see me with a UC rod in my hands but now I can't say that anymore! Can't believe it's taken 14 years to find out!

Reactions: TOTW and 45king

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    They are definelty older then 2005 I got them in 07.. They were passed over to me from a family member who used to take us out to fish bass in the kelp as kids/teens. Then he moved to Ohio and I remained the only one in the group fishing. They stayed wracked for a LONG time, as I got carried away with life and my beloved sabre's. But as of last 2 years I had at least one of them on the boat. Plus My wife loves them because they are light. But Because of my obsession and love of glass. I was always fine with telling myself they might be old American made phenix's while leaving them behind. But wow GUSA... you'd never see me with a UC rod in my hands but now I can't say that anymore! Can't believe it's taken 14 years to find out!

Cool deal! I should have noted, too, that the United Rod that I was referring to above was a new line that GUSA had come out with before going to Arizona. The years all blend together, so who knows when I started to pick these up! I have a United 85 Mega in a burgundy finish that was a prototype. Still fish it--along with a few GUSAs. The gem among those is my 85 Monster.

Reactions: SMYLEE and 45king