How often do YOU replace your line?

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Barracuda1, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Omarkayak

Omarkayak Member

Name:
    Bills
    Boat:
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    For straight mono: Whenever I break off a big fish for no apparent reason. Or annually, if I remember to do it. So, basically, not very often.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

2. sgwill122

sgwill122 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore

I wish I had this problem.

3. Barracuda1

Barracuda1 Master of None

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
    That's a great tip Matt. Thanks.

BugeaterInWa and gabe0308 like this.
  4. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Like most, my Dad has decades old mono on his reels. However, they are from a different time when "if it doesn't break why fix it".

Mono has memory though, I used to hate those damn loops, so I only use top shot now, and try and replace every 2 years or so. I believe mono is more susceptible to UV damage as well. Just go braid with mono top-shot...

5. H20buffalo112

H20buffalo112 El Bombero

Name:
    Sergio
    Boat:
    SANCHA Bonita
    Try this test on new mono, take a piece of mono about 5 or 6 feet and tie an overhand knot, grab the two ends and pull really hard. New mono should not break.
    Now take your older mono that’s a season old and do THE TEST if it breaks change it out. Saves you time and money.

6. Hunter Dan

Hunter Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    MUGWUMP
    There is no one answer, other than to say if you have any doubt about what is on your reel, change it! Types of line, strength , type of use, amount of use......all variables that end up with different results. Note all the comments about stripping an amount of line off the reel; quite often I refill a reel when the cranking ratio starts go be affected and my inches per crank goes down. White powdery residue on your fingers after checking the line strength? That is the mono literally breaking down and disintegrating.

I am in an interesting pickle and going to have to change my ways of refilling reels. I don't work at a tackle shop with a line winder anymore! The venerable winder we had at Ed's went tits up and died an unrepairable death during our liquidation sale too, so there went my plans for owning that. I gots me a feeling I am really, really going to miss the convenience of grabbing rods, taking them to work and professionally dealing with them........on the clock! :-)

BobbyAgate likes this.
  7. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    One thing to consider that hasn't been mentioned is the likelihood that you cut a few feet off here and there due to nicks and the line you lose when you re-tie. After a while, you might have taken quite a bit off. Even though the remaining line on the reel is in good shape, the amount you have on the reel has been reduced.

Hooked a ginormous king last summer out of Neah Bay that spooled me. We tried to chase it before it got to the very end and in the process, the barbless hook slipped out.

It's not just the condition of the line, but the quantity that is left on the reel that also matters.

BobbyAgate likes this.
  8. richardp

richardp I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    There fixed it for you :)

Actually had the same experiece this last summer with a fish my son hooked, same deal hooked a big one on a spool that was a little light....At first i thought a seal had taken it but watching the pole, line etc it was clear it was just a damn nice fish with maybe a drag that was a little too loose (which i like to do sometimes for the kids) Definately a tyee+ and my son and i just looked at each other in disbelief after the line snapped......

Odin7 likes this.
  9. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    NICE!

Actually, my first thought was that I had hooked one of the porpoises that was in the bait around the boat until I saw the fish at the surface.

Like others have said, mono is pretty inexpensive. My reaction when that fish came unbuttoned? Priceless.