How often do you remake your braid loop on your reel?

Dexter Outdoors

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none

As we use loop to loop connections for our wind-on leaders,

how often do you remake your loop on the reel?

With repeated use, does the braid become weakened?

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private

As we use loop to loop connections for our wind-on leaders,

how often do you remake your loop on the reel?

With repeated use, does the braid become weakened?

Hi Rich,

Yes, spectra weakens with abrasion. I make new inline hollow spectra loops every year in the off-season for reels that are used regularly. More often if there is any chance it rubbed against other line or the boat hull. I inspect it very closely.... I will also change-out the last 50-100 yards of hollow spectra if there is any chance it is damaged. I run it reel to reel to visually inspect and through my fingers to determine if anything feels unusual.

Better safe than sorry...

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I’ve gone to no loops for 80 lb and up. I like an inline splice.
I just leave about an 18” tag end on my leader.

I’m pretty handy making the splice. One guy saw me putting on a new leader, leaning against the bait tank. He said he had trouble doing that at the kitchen table!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

migelito

May 12, 2010
So Cal.
Name
Mike
Boat
Indy
Usually before every long trip cut off a few yards and put a new loop in it If that reel has seen any fishing time. After a few descent fish lots of circles means lots of line twist. It only takes a few minutes to make a new loop.

Reactions: RichG
Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
I would say often. One night after dinner at Hurricane Banks after everyone was in the galley. I was fly ling a 5lbs skipjack and I got bit by who knows what. It dumped my entire Avet 50 SDS 3 speed with 130lbs spectra. It was dark to do the backup rig so I put the pressure and broke it off. Where did it break under such high pressure? The loop the loop. LOL

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Pre made big fish top shot. Fisher taking rigging very technical for drag. Hollow-hollow inline splice. Tag end off reel and off the top shot. For the hollow inline splice seamless connection with 1 leg. Less drag less line twist rather then 4 legs. Loose a few feet of spectra off the reel, each time

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    I have a loop to loop at the start of a trip. If lucky and lots of use -- being unskilled -- I will instpect the braid and if OK wil cut off leader and put on new leader loop. If braid is chaffed, I will make a six-turn surgeons and a two turn surgeons with the tab as interim briad loop. Tension tested at Fred Hall and got line test rating plus. I am careful to wet the braid and digitally smooth the knot.
    Knot perfect, but functional...and it is a pretty small and flat knot as it goes thru the rod guides.
    Have had no failures....fingers crossed.
    PS
    I do 4-loop to loop throughs, leader to main line

Last edited:
    Reactions: tbev and RichG
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I would say often. One night after dinner at Hurricane Banks after everyone was in the galley. I was fly ling a 5lbs skipjack and I got bit by who knows what. It dumped my entire Avet 50 SDS 3 speed with 130lbs spectra. It was dark to do the backup rig so I put the pressure and broke it off. Where did it break under such high pressure? The loop the loop. LOL

Just curious. How many turns or wraps do you use when you loop the wind on to the main line?

Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
    Pinedale WY USA
    Name
    Dave Harper
    Boat
    17 Crestliner
    I tied the loops (a Bimini) with a section of Dacron slid over the braid before you tie the loop. That was the instruction I was given (I was actually putting a loop on the end of the braid I was using as backing on a 14/15 wt fly reel I was rigging up for Panama). The piece of Dacron Gives it a shock absorber to the braid, and makes the diameter and the surface area quite a bit larger than the super thin braid.

I can tie an FG knot OK, but not on a bobbing boat in the middle of a tuna bite!!!

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Pre made big fish top shot. Fisher taking rigging very technical for drag. Hollow-hollow inline splice. Tag end off reel and off the top shot. For the hollow inline splice seamless connection with 1 leg. Less drag less line twist rather then 4 legs. Loose a few feet of spectra off the reel, each time

Another option. Or don't pre make. And just insert the fluoro/mono straight into the hollow off the reel. 2 sato crimps and each half side of the crimp is pinched 180 then the opposite side 180 angle. So the crimp looks like a torpedo end. 360% traction. That is super sano

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    Skipjack 24
    You guys that are just splicing leader into your mainline, what are you doing for a serve? I would think a handful of hitches over the splice would be fine, but I dunno.. How far into the HC are you going ?
    @Steve K

Reactions: RichG
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I find that about 3’ is sufficient. I’m a fan of the Sato Crimp System and use Tac Glue. Half hitches, serving, and use of Gary Teraoka’s Nail/Nub are all good methods.

Thank you to Mark for all his work on this presentation. With a little practice, you can become pretty good at it. I don’t pre-make the knots on the straws, myself. The “nub” is the nail knots tied on the leader material that goes inside the hollow spectra.

Biggest key to success here is to use a hollow that properly grips your leader material. I use 80 lb hollow, either Jerry Brown or Tuf-Line, for diameters of .9-1.05 mm leader.

Last edited:
    Reactions: tbev
    Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    You guys that are just splicing leader into your mainline, what are you doing for a serve? I would think a handful of hitches over the splice would be fine, but I dunno.. How far into the HC are you going ?
    @Steve K

I do about 3' but might try 12" this year and this is my favorite way to serve HC. Caught 50 BF last year, many 160#+ and one at 285# with no failure. I do two 1/2 hitches and one Rizuto finish. Don't spend more then $20 for the bobbing tool.

Can't beat a 2-100% knot and I usually try to serve directly to the main line not using loop to loop(cat's paw).

How to Make a Wind-On Topshot | Using Hollow-Core Braid to Connect Main Line to Leader for Tuna - YouTube

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Personally... have not lost a fish to the FG. The weakest link is the hook connection or being chewed off. Still I like that connection Tom has. Just do not need to change a winning connection that is so quick and easy to do.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Personally... have not lost a fish to the FG. The weakest link is the hook connection or being chewed off. Still I like that connection Tom has. Just do not need to change a winning connection that is so quick and easy to do.
    Yes, that video that Tom showed us is interesting. Two 100% methods in one wind on. I wonder if they conflict with one another.

Another good point about this "serve" is that you can put tension on while you are serving. Can't do that with a regular PR.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Yes, that video that Tom showed us is interesting. Two 100% methods in one wind on. I wonder if they conflict with on another.

Another good point about this "serve" is that you can put tension on while you are serving. Can't do that with a regular PR.
    Was thinking that same point Cub. Put the insert under compression.

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    The Original question was how often do you remake your loop.

Well - in theory you dont. If the spectra creating the loop has no damage the loop doesnt get damaged.

I have many many fish on the same loop. In fact usually get sharked or wahoo short bit that makes me redo my loop.

If you use picks and fishing hooks to undo your windon or topshot you want to change the loop could get damaged.

I go through 2x putting on my windon or topshot.

Reactions: RichG and Bill W
    Upvote 0