How often do you change your Braid fishing line?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by RichG, Apr 19, 2017.

1. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Since there has been several discussion on Braid fishing line, types, strands, and brands, I always wondered how long it will last? I know some people wash their brain annually and even reverse it on their reels. While other only rinse it off. I know some just strip off the top 100 yard and splice fresh braid on. So without any nicks, or damage, how long will it really last. Especially for those who may fish less than 30 days a year? And do you strip the entire reel and spend the $ on new braid or just splice?

2. maurice escobedo

maurice escobedo Counselor

Name:
    Esteban
    Boat:
    24' Wellcraft air slot
    Great question. I'm new to fishing with braid so I'm eager to hear the input

hardrider5 and RichG like this.
  3. Bigeasy

Bigeasy yeah, yeah!

Name:
    Eric W.
    Boat:
    Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
    :appl:Good Question!

RichG likes this.
  4. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    I've taken mine off and washed it. But I've never replaced it. Some I've had on over 10 years.

Josa1, eric harner and jiggyn like this.
  5. PaDDy Killer'

PaDDy Killer' Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
    I am no expert but for me it depends on the condition of the spectra, not the age. Once my spectra starts to fade and I have a few years out of it I will flip it on the spool. The spectra spooled on the bottom is like new condition once its on top. This works for me, I have reels with power pro on them over ten years as my heavy stuff is not used and abused like my 40lb gear and under.

Bigeasy likes this.
  6. Bigeasy

Bigeasy yeah, yeah!

Name:
    Eric W.
    Boat:
    Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
    :food-smiley-014:
    That's smart!

7. matrixx611

matrixx611 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    none
    For me I just power wash and dry it off. Have some reels for about 10 yrs and no issue

8. finishright

finishright Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike Morris
    Boat:
    prowler kayak
    take an extra spool and drill a bunch of 5/16 holes in it wind braid on it and set in toilet tank for a few day take it out and set on the self to air dry not in the sun works for me

caveman likes this.
  9. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Damn spellcheck.

10. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    No nicks or damage no worries. Even faded power pro is fine. I don't use much power pro but on the few reels that have it I prefer when it fades some. If it's really taken a beating, feels weak, breaks easily, is frayed, then strip off the top 100-200 yards and splice on new stuff. Clean it, dry it, don't let it mildew.

11. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    well most would say out of sight out of mind...LOL... never.... I use solid, if you use hollow they say you need to wash it once a year or it will start to smell bad...
    when I replace my top shots I will run off 5 / 10 yards or so and inspect and cut that off and retie my top shot....

12. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I have a couple of old dinosaur reels that I keep just for moving braid around among my newer reels as I feel like it. Like several have mentioned, solid braid that is freshwater-rinsed as you are cleaning your reels after a trip doesn't seem to age at all. A lot of mine is approaching a decade and still as good as new. When I get cut off a couple of times and I feel that I don't have the total length that I want any more on that reel, I move the braid to a smaller spool and re-spool with new. I'm sure that splicing in a new length works fine for some people, but I am not comfortable with the idea of connecting braid together and then playing tug-of-war with a mean fish that I just spent many hundreds of dollars to go look for. There are way more things that I blow money on that I can economize about if I really need to . . .fishing line is not one of them.

FishAcquisition, Fishdood and repo805 like this.
  13. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks Bill

14. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    I have some spectra that is over 12 years old. Spectra is relatively inert. I believe spectra can last over 10 years if cared for properly. Abrasion kills it. I use hollow spectra exclusively from 60 lbs. to 200 lbs. It is really smooth to the touch. I run the line through my fingers and it is easy to feel a rough spot. I remove the bad piece and inline splice a new piece.

If there are many bad spots due to boat rubbing/fish/other lines/tangles etc., I will replace a larger section. I also change the last 30'-60' after a large fish if it was a tough battle. So the short answer is "it depends".

In summary, change it when you feel it should be changed...

- Jeff Burroughs

Josa1, norcaltunaclub, jiggyn and 2 others like this.
  15. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I confess that I worry about this some. I don't think I have ever changed any of the spectra on any of my cow reels. I have my reels serviced every year, and that includes having the line removed, washed, checked, and re-spooled. My obsessive question when I get the reels back is "how does the spectra look?" The answer is always "like new."

The one thing I do is replace the top 50-100 yards.

I have only had my spectra break (as opposed to being cut) once on a cow reel. But...

1. That was on a reel I bought used with the spectra already on it
    2. We were at Clarion, and the birds kept getting caught in the line (it was a kite reel)

On that occasion, the reel also "failed," as it wouldn't go into low gear. I had the fish...seemed like a good one...about 40 yards from the boat when the spectra just popped. I can't swear to the quality of the line when I bought it, or if the line was badly damaged with birds getting trapped in it. In any case, I don't have that reel anymore, and all the reels I do have I bought new and professionally spooled. Since then I do what I can to make sure the spectra is in good condition, as I have already said. Some has been in use for 8 years now. As best I can tell, my spectra is in great shape, and doesn't need changing.

But even so, I suppose I will always have that tiny, nagging doubt. Problem is, if I re-spooled the reels, the line wouldn't be any better (as far as I or the guy who services my reels can tell) than the line that's already on the reels.

It's a great question; I'm sorry I don't have a better answer. The philosophical approach I follow is if I can't see or feel a flaw, and if the line looks good and feels good, it is good. And if I feel any flaw or abrasion, I cut out that spot and splice on more. I think that's the best you can do. Pay attention, and don't hesitate to cut out anything at all that feels iffy.

RichG likes this.
  16. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    In the monofilament stage of my fishing, on albacore trips, I would change my line every night on my 15# outfit and 25# gets changed every trip. I attributed success in getting bit to fresh line and line strength. Whole different ball game now. Where mono stretches and degrades, PE lines do not. Superbraids are ultraviolet resistant and water repellent, which dacron and monofilament was not.

As long as I do not see or feel damage to the line... if it is not broke, don't fix it. Until proven wrong I think I will leave that line on the reel. Fits my KISS mentality.

Josa1 and RichG like this.
  17. DH10

DH10 Member

Name:
    Dave Harper
    Boat:
    17 Crestliner
    As noted, braid will not deteriorate or rot, but needs to be replaced based on how worn/nicked up it is.
    There are no truly strong connections for tying braid to braid (talking solid braid, not hollow splicing). Better off replacing the whole thing if the section of line in good condition is starting to get short.....

18. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Hmm, I have some braid to inspect, possibly to replace. Very hard to inspect 100 yards of braid, but I'm gonna do it. Best way for me is to let it out behind my boat on an uncrowded fishing day on one of the lakes up here in the Sierras. I've done that before and it rinses out the salt, provides me with an opportunity to inspect the spool for corrosion and with the boat moving 4-5 mph, it packs on pretty tight.

One time, when mine was the only boat on the lake, I had 500 yards in the water and a boat came around the corner, just launched and hauling ass for the back end of the lake. I had to wave him off as he was rapidly coming up my six. Crazy

RichG likes this.
  19. fighingrjo

fighingrjo paid my taxes

Name:
    ryan
    Boat:
    I don't change the braid unless it is damaged. I've got an original boss 870 (bought new) that has had the same power pro on it since i originally bought it. The moss green might be considered sage green for the top 100 yards or so.

20. caveman

caveman Member

Name:
    charles boyd
    Boat:
    20 ft. jetcraft,ciocc
    I've always used hollow JB. It was the the most recommended to me when I first started to switch from mono, and stuck with it as it worked. I wash it every trip with the Swifty line spools in the toilet, let it dry, and the flip it before respooling. As I wind it back on I look for nicks etc. and splice as needed. Perhaps luck, but never had a Spectra failure. Some of it is at least 10 years old. I don't think the Swifty line winders/washer spools are made any more, but Mike Morris' homemade version as mentioned above would work great and be much cheaper! The other reason I do mine each trip is to inspect the reel, put a coat of wax on the spool, etc. The wife says I'm neurotic about maintenance, I call it cheap insurance.

Josa1 and bob1825 like this.