How much usable Fuel in Gas Tank

Discussion in 'Parker Boats - The Tradition Continues' started by Fishingguy, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    I have a 07 2320 with a 150 gallon fuel tank….

I have never ran it all the way dry but i am curious out of the 150 gallons, how much is usable? 135 gallons? 140 gallons?

Is there an "x" amount where the pump can not suck?

or is all 150 gallons usable?

jasper hickman likes this.
  2. ratboy

ratboy Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    katie sea
    I'd say 149.99

3. jasper hickman

jasper hickman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jasper
    Boat:
    26' sea master, RED BEARD
    I as well have wondered at what point the fuel would lose it prime. I.E fall off plane with an 1/16th of fuel left? Assuming your pickup is in the back of your tank. I have also wondered how accurate my gauge is at the very bottom of the tank. Ive even considered carrying around a few spare fuel jugs and run the tank empty, but I would also worry about picking up some crap off the bottom of the tank.

Not that I would like to be anywhere near the out of fuel point but it would be nice to know if I ever had to "push it" for any reason

4. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    Depends a lot on the tank design, but most tanks do not draw from the very bottom in order to avoid the curd that settles out. The other limitation is slosh -- even if you pickup is on the bottom, as the boat rolls and pitches, the fuel in the tank will roll from one side / end to the other and if the pickup isn't continuously submerged, it will suck in air and, especially with diesels but also with gas engines, will shut down the engine.

5. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    I had one boat(cant remember which)that as long as you keep a good speed you could get almost all,problem was when you pulled it back going in the harbor it went tits up.Had to just make it to the fuel dock on one engine once.Tom

6. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Isn't the rule 1/3 there, 1/3 back and 1/3 oh shit?

pukahd, FHisherman and Bigpondonly like this.
  7. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    how would there be any "crud" at the bottom of a tank that as soon as it is half fulll is getting violently sloshed around on the ocean?

get some likes this.
  8. Rusty Rod

Rusty Rod Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26 Mackinaw
    Most boats have an unusable portion of fuel left in the tank. Really depends on the design of the tank. To figure it out, I've run a boat to a very low level, parked in a slip and pumped it dry with a transfer pump. Then used the other tank to run over to the fuel dock and fuel it up.

9. OILAGER

OILAGER Hecho en Estados Unidos

Name:
    Wayne
    Boat:
    Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
    I have 2 tanks, one 56 gal. the other 92 gal. I can the 56 down to 4 gals. left in the tank if I'm putting in the harbor but it'll stall as soon as I get off angle while getting on the trailer. Interesting that the low fuel warning bar will start flashing with around 15 gals. left in the smaller tank. I've never gauged the larger tank because when it starts starving for fuel I'm usually running at speed and will switch to the smaller tank.

10. Fishingguy

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Thanks for the tip.

Very aware of the the unusable portion but imnot sure i would go through pumping out as you did lol. Thanks for your help!

11. Fishingguy

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    interesting

12. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Yup, but if you can only use 140 gallons that changes the numbers a bit.

Only real way to know is to run it dry, switch to portable tank so you can motor back to fuel dock. Then fill her up.

If you do this, it would be a good idea to time it when you are due to change filters.

13. bajabills

bajabills I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    blackman fishmachine
    I'm not sure if you have access to the tank sender.
    But if you do, you can remove it.(be extra careful with gasoline,i.e. Sparks, etc., use a sealed flashlight "waterproof type " because of sparks) look at the bottom contour of the tank and if it is sloping to the stern , when the boat is level and if the pickup is at the lowest point of the tank which should be the stern, you should be Abel to nearly use it all . Except for a couple gallons.
    If it's a "belly" tank ,maybe 5 gallons. you can use a mirror to help see the pickup. And how much off the bottom it is. And calculate the area of the bottom of the tank and the height of theBottom of the pickup tube. Length X width X height, then divide by 231= gallons on the bottom of the tank. Bouncing in open ocean changes your optimum.
    When I set a fuel tank, I try to figure the vent at the highest level. And venting 2 sides of the tank tied together to one gunnel vent. That allows for max fuel in the tank. Then, I adjust the tilt of the tank and install it so max fuel is at the stern, where the pickup is. Flowscan is the best investment , for max range.
    Know the dimensions of the tank, where the bulk volume is , then you compare it with actual usage.
    You may know these things already. I wrote down the tank dimensions with a marker on the tank, then segmented the levels into gallons in a diagram. It helps me know the truth and performance of the boat. And the estimated weight of the tank + fuel if needed. By putting a tape measure in the tank I can estimate how much was used and how much is left. Manually, and compare it to electronic read outs. If you need such info, but it's there if so.

Or you could call Parker and have them fax a fuel tank plan to you. And ask them this question. They should absolutely know it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  14. stangclassic66

stangclassic66 USCG Master

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25’ Parker
    30% out, 30% in, 10-12% fishing, 25% reserve for when you're engine is gonna need it for sloppy seas.

The goal is to never need that 20-25%. Nobody likes a captain that runs out of fuel.

Billy, you may want to consider a 29-30gallon above deck fuel tank and plumb in a 3 way selector switch.

Run out to the grounds using the above deck tank and move it to the bow when it's empty and finish your trip on the main tank.

15. TEAMFISH

TEAMFISH JUST ADD WATER

Name:
    DAVE
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack Fisherman
    My Skippy has 105 gallon tank. I intentionally set my sender to read empty with 4" of fuel left in the tank. Haven't figured out exactly how much fuel that is but it's a little piece of mind

16. cmgtstan

cmgtstan Newbie

Name:
    Stanley
    Boat:
    Valco BR16 Bay Runner
    I own a 2000 Parker 2520. When replacing the tank, i pumped it out through the Racor filter. I was able to remove every last drop. Was not even necessary to put a rag in to get the residual. The pick up tube was on the bottom but cut at an angle to not allow sealing off against the bottom.

Fishingguy likes this.
  17. Hard Core

Hard Core Fishing Lunatic

Name:
    Barnesy
    Boat:
    Parker "Hard Core", Alumaweld Pro Elite "Hard Core Deuce"; Blackfin FB "Dhamar II"
    In my Parker 2510XLD with 200 gal tank, I pumped it dry last year when repowering and it took 196.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

18. Fishingguy

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Great to know!

Is there any damage to the pump if i run her all the down just to see?

19. aquasport18

aquasport18 aquasport18

Name:
    the brusier
    Boat:
    21 ft stealh vip cc.
    I always run quickkleen all the time in my tank 3 yrs no carb problems filter problems or fuel tank problems . swear by the stuff kept my yamahga running strong and clean .b

20. Hard Core

Hard Core Fishing Lunatic

Name:
    Barnesy
    Boat:
    Parker "Hard Core", Alumaweld Pro Elite "Hard Core Deuce"; Blackfin FB "Dhamar II"
    I just used a separate fuel pump from that cheap store harbor freight and pumped it into my girlfriend's car just in case it wasn't so good. Actually before that I pulled the fuel sensor and u can get a good look in there and mine was perfectly clean after 9 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk