How much...Too much?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Steve K, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I posted up on the SoCal Sport Boat trip planning forum about fishing an overnight on Thursday, only one response so I'll as here about tackle. I get that a smaller outfit for 25-30 lb and some smaller hooks is suggested for the school sized Yellowfin and Bluefin, so I've got that covered. Is one outfit enough for that? I have two: for 20-25 a Daiwa SL20SH backed with 50 lb solid spectra on a Calstar Grafighter 800L and a Penn Fathom 15LD2, also backed with 50 lb solid. That sits on a G Loomis Pelagic Series rod rated 25-40 with a sweet spot at 30.

Are these local fish anything like those frustrating foamers we saw last year in June? Or is it more birds and sonar marks? Add an Accurate BX2 600N topshotted with 50-60 lb fluorocarbon for the bigger Bluefin, need another outfit set up for YoYo iron and Flatfalls? What about something to throw Poppers or is that "just so last year" :)

Hoping to make it down in time to get on the Liberty and fish the trip with Taro. Don't really want to bring the whole quiver, but I see they picked up six nice ones trolling the Yummy Flyer on a recent trip.

What to do, what to do?

2. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Hi Steve,
    Just got off a tough 3 day on the AA. I would recommend:
    1x 25-30# bait outfit
    1x 60# Flat fall outfit
    1x Jig rod for Colt Sniper and the like
    There is such a mix of bird life, foamers and the like out there right now that it is super frustrating. Typical all show and no go. One day they are foaming and the next all meter marks. In other words "Fishing just sucks right now.." But that is what I would take if I were going out right now. Hope it helps..

bdubs73 likes this.
  3. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Steve,

Definitely take a heavier 50-60# outfit. There may be less than a 10% chance that you'll need it, but there will be a 100% chance of you kicking yourself for not bringing it if you do need it.

Brad

ps--bring a backup reel for the 25# outfit for the same reason

4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Seems like they bit the flat fall good today, 5 bites for the Grande, 1 landed at #190, not sure about the other 4, just that at the time of the report they were still hanging, but on the "wrong gear".

Id have at minimum the following:

1) Something that has at least 80lb spectra and an 80-100lb fluoro for the big flatfall
    2) Solid 60lb rig for fishing a sinker rig
    3) 40-50lb rig for a long soak plunker style, also can fish the smaller flat fall
    4) 25lb bait
    5) Jig stick

ZZZZZ and Shon like this.
  5. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Hey Steve. I have fished a ton of the shorter trips and I have found that I'm happiest just using either 3 or 4 versatile set ups. Your 20-25 set up is on the money I use virtually the same except mine is an ML. I can fish 30 on it, but I'd normally go straight to a 40# set up that can fish 50# flouro as well. I use that one for heavier bait. The third would be the 60# you have (which would be fine with very heavy flouro and flat fall as well) or the rubber band sinker bait set up. Forth? Well, I can't leave the dock without a jigstick. Old habits...you know.

Olddog8 likes this.
  6. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    It was the first afternoon of our Catchy Tackle 8 day last year in June last year, on the Angler that we first encountered the foamers and I mean holy crap! One was boated on a helium balloon and a Sardine, another on a Popper. We then fished south for small Yellowfin and decent sized Yellowtail for easy limits. One day goofing off at Cedros trying to make a few drifts for C Bass and Halibut, then back up to the Bluefin area. As if the non-biting tuna wasn't enough of an aggravation we were in the middle of the private fleet as well and needless to say, not everybody was up for playing well together. Boat managed four more 60-75 lbs. One more on the balloon rig, and one each on a Point Wilson Dart, a Tady 4/0 single hook blue/chrome and one on a FlatFall.

7. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    So, how big are these Yellowfin that have been showing up out there in one day range?

8. 500BBC

500BBC Newbie

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    19' Schiada, Neighborhood Menace
    Go light and you know the big boys will go off.
    BG and I fished football YFT on a 1.5 day years ago. He got off and got on the Apollo but not before he handed me his 12t for service.
    They stopped on the once in a lifetime magic Big Eye kelp the next day and plugged the boat with 100# fish...except for BG. LOL

Taro and Anibal are the shit, as is the Liberty.

Steve K likes this.
  9. joshua cunningham

joshua cunningham Fresh One!!

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Excel, Polaris Supreme

10. joshua cunningham

joshua cunningham Fresh One!!

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Excel, Polaris Supreme
    The yellowfin we found on the excel were all schoolies 20-24 lbs

11. 998R

998R Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    Outrage
    Yft 25-50lbs

I would bring atleast 3 rigs. ( your green rods or reels)

20lb, 30lb & 50lb

Good luck on your trip

12. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Steve, I did a 2.5 day a week ago. Bring 3 rigs; one for 20/25, 30/40 and a 50/60 rig (these will cover most probabilities). Lots of fish out there, tons of bait too so no biters is the result. You know it is slow fishing when folks are mentioning the number of bites!

- Jeff Burroughs

13. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    I have the three "basic rigs" assembled, reels on rods. 10-15' fluorocarbon topshots, 40 and 50 lb, on Fathom 30LD2 and Accurate BX2 600N. 30' mono topshot on Fathom 15LD2.

Two other reels in the top of the bag are a Fathom 40NLD2 and a Penn 30S. 100 yard topshot of 50 lb mono for the Calstar 850H, and 15' fluorocarbon topshot of 100 lb Seaguar Premier for a Seeker 6463XXH.

Packed a couple of trays yesterday morning. Smorgasbord of jigs, YoYo and surface iron, FlatFalls, etc. And a tray of hooks and weights. Pretty much ready.

Thanks for all of your replies, appreciate it. Now, if the Fish will cooperate.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  14. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Well, that's certainly a notch or two better than the 10-14 pounders i saw on the Ridge last Spring on an 8 day and a 6 day last September.

15. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Taking into consideration there are 140-300lb BFT 20 miles out, I would for sure be bringing a 80-100lb sett up. Maybe 2, One for jig and the other for, Race ready flouro fly line. If I saw a single fish boil in the chum over 140lbs or the captain is metering big fish, I would go grab my 80-100lb sett up. I want to land what I hook. And if I saw a Jumbo boil and I did not have a 80-100lb sett up, I would be bummed if all I had were my Peepee outfits

It's fishing you never know and the Cows are in the area. Some of the greatest story's and accomplishments can come when you least expect it and when the odds are against you. That's one reason why we fish :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    SouthBayKiller and Steve K like this.
  16. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Thanks, Brad. That Penn 30S has been set up for 100 lb, drag is killer with great freespool. With the 100 lb topshot of Seaguar Premier I'm fishing it with that Seeker, a Black Steel 6463XXH. Will tie on whichever FlatFall the crew suggests for the morning grey bite, then a ringed circle hook for bait. Flyline or sinker, wouldn't it be great to hang one on the gear you should be fishing.

ZZZZZ likes this.