HOW MUCH FLUOROCARBON?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by fyermn, Nov 30, 2012.

1. fyermn

fyermn Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    LONG RANGE fishing
    I have a 15 day trip on the Excel in May 2013. My question is how much fluorocarbon, in yards, should I plan on taking? Also, what pound should the fluorocarbon be, or mix of? I know that it is suppose to last forever, but I don't want to buy WAY MORE that what is usually used on a 15 day trip. The line on my reels is #130 hollow spectra, and my plan is to insert the fluorocarbon into the spectra and then serve it, but that may change to making wind-ons for loop to loop connections, as I investigate and read more about it.

I have ALWAYS appreciated the responses from the members of this board, and I am looking forward to what you have to tell me.

2. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Minimum 2 30 yard coils 100#, 2 30 yard coils 130#, 2 30 yard coils 150# if you run straight fluro. You can cut the first coil in thirds and make full leaders, the second use mono for 30' with a 2' to 3' fluro attachment.(still works well) Sharks are bad, just use the mono.

!00# use in daytime on sardine flyline bait, 130# bobber balloon and grey light sardine flyline, 150# night, large bait, jig exc...

I usually run one leader up the 130# spectra, make up a few others with hollow for a in line splice tag end of the 130# hollow. You do not have to make up all the leaders at once, just have the leader material in your stateroom. Tons of down time even during the day...

3. phantom1

phantom1 Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    N/A
    I would chk out the Fishing Tutorials by Members there s a great video on how to make topshots/windons. Also on a 15 day if all goes as plan you'll need mainly 100 & 130. I would buy those 100 yard coils. You'll need all of it if you don't have any. I would have top shots made in advance from 50 LB up but only 4 or 5 of each between 50-80 Lb about 10 of the 100 and 130 of each. I would have about the same number made in mono. If you need 30 or 40 lb if you don't make a couple of each it's easy to just do an over hand knot or direct tie on.

4. fishboy93

fishboy93 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Who’s hiring?
    Its all apples and oranges but i like 10ft of the yozuri pink.

5. Antares

Antares The popcorn police

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    29'
    My experience is limited but i am taking 75+ yards of 150 130 100 80 on my 14 day. They will all be made in to wind on leaders about 25 ' in length. If i run out i will buy more on the boat and if i have lots extra dont care.

6. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    i like the crimps,double crimps. but i have worked out the bugs and have confidence in my technique. there is definitely a tchnique to using the crimp system and you have to have the right tools and the right size crimps.gooooooooooing

7. yft1979

yft1979 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Garrett
    Boat:
    -
    I take 2 spools of 100lb and 2 spools of 130 fluoro. I use the pink yo zuri lately. They are 30 meter spools. I also bring some spools of 100,130,150,200 blue izor. Bring a top shot jig and a bowstring server and make all the topshots you need on the 4 days travel south. Will be plenty of people on the boat to assist you I'm sure.
    G

8. phantom1

phantom1 Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    N/A
    To say you would get a few opinions on how to make them is an understatement! But it would be a great learning experiences.

9. Jig Stick

Jig Stick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Cabo 216...Sold
    Bring more material (fluoro and mono) than you think you need for a few reasons: The sharks that time of year could be a problem and, therefore, could cause you to go through a bunch of leaders; the trip down will allow you the time to make a bunch of wind-ons just to past the time; and, you will, most likely, not go on just one of these trips as the addiction bug frequently sinks in when the 150lb+ YFT come pouring over the rail.

10. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Dan, maybe one of the Excel guys, like Dave, will jump in here, but I'm pretty sure they sell fluoro on the boat. So, you could hold it down to the minimum and reload on the boat if needed. I like Bill's reply, and believe me, he's been there, done that. ;)

"Minimum 2 30 yard coils 100#, 2 30 yard coils 130#, 2 30 yard coils 150# if you run straight fluro. You can cut the first coil in thirds and make full leaders, the second use mono for 30' with a 2' to 3' fluro attachment.(still works well) Sharks are bad, just use the mono.

!00# use in daytime on sardine flyline bait, 130# bobber balloon and grey light sardine flyline, 150# night, large bait, jig exc...

I usually run one leader up the 130# spectra, make up a few others with hollow for a in line splice tag end of the 130# hollow. You do not have to make up all the leaders at once, just have the leader material in your stateroom. Tons of down time even during the day..."

11. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    It is better to take more than enough. You do not want to get into a position where you re not changing out your top shots, because you do not want to run out. Qi always keep an eye out for the sales,especially this time of year.goooooing

12. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    Lets not forget that the HB and the buffer zone can show a lot of sharks in April and May... if your trip does, you can go through a huge amount of topshot material...

Now, some trips don't see a lot of sharks during that time period... you just need to be prepared..

Tight lines,

Jeff

13. talltales

talltales Member

Name:
    ron
    Boat:
    2359 Trophy
    How are the sharks in January.

14. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    R
    it is unpredictable........but there are always some around....just lots more sometimes....I have been there when it is almost unfishable........