How much does a fella pay to his host on a private boat?

blowncar

Sep 8, 2013
Ocean Shores Washington/Mexico waters
Name
james
Boat
52' Hatteras C Lobos Del Mar
It seems like a lot of guys on here invite strangers on their boat, because they can’t afford to run them by themselves. If need to invite people on your boat to offset the price of the trip, you need to think about selling your boat.
Seems like a lot guys on here don't even own a boat and/or think they are qualified to give out financial advice to those who do. Boat owners on BD range from 2k boats to million + dollar boats.

If you are lucky enough that someone will take you along for your "fair" share of the trip cost; they are being more than generous. If taking out a few fishing friends a few times a month helps the owner afford additional trips what's the problem? I don't know anyone that buys a boat with the intent of only being able to afford it by getting others to chip in.

For shits and giggles I looked up what a full day cattle boat with 39 close friends charges , $200 seems to be going rate. Add food/drink, fish cleaning and tips and it's about 3 bills. If 3-5 guys were sharing expenses on a big sportfisher they'd probably save a buck or two.

Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
here is the run down for my parker 2320. Boat cost $150K plus about 2K per year for insurance, Boat US and maintenance, 10K for high end fishing gear and 4K for binos . Actual direct cost per trip for ice, gas, bait, bucket of fried chicken, no cleaning from the guys usually runs around $600 going off shore. My friends usually chip in around $175-$200 MAX.

Every catch is a community fish on my boat and yes 50 big BF this year on my boat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
wow this thread is getting beat to death.. with all the stories good ,bad and or informative...
LOL

Upvote 0