MightyMach

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 17, 2007
Corona
Name
Jeff
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX "Given Inn," 17' Duckhungint boat, "Camo-Toe"
29 Phoenix slipped at Seaworld in Mission Bay.
Good Windlass--I will use 8 plait rode.
I figured at least 30' of chain, possibly 45.
Current anchor is a Fortress, might look into a Delta style later.

I see San Clemente in my future...not sure where else.

Thanks!

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
1 have 30 to 40 foot chain and 300' of rode.. I am also in Seaworld Marina.

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
I have 60 foot of chain and 700 feet of rode. I like being able to drop the pic in 60 fathoms

starbright55

Dec 4, 2011
San Diego
Name
TH
Boat
17' Avon Searider
25' boat

I think I'm a 16 lb bruce, 45' of 3/8" chain, 300' of line

Heavier chain can help you go a little bit shorter on chain.

Reactions: sbsurfer

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
Jun 5, 2012
La Mesa
Name
Jeff
Boat
Sea Pro 170DC & S/V Lunar Dawn a Casade 36' Sloop
If you really want to up your anchoring knowledge you should checkout what the sailboat cruising folks are doing. These people live on their boats all over the place and generally have their systems and knowledge locked down.

Other general thoughts from my sailing experiences.....

The fortress is basically a mud anchor and there isn't that much mud in our areas other than the bays (SD, Newport, etc..). The Bruce/Claw is definitely a good overall choice for our neck of the woods. For my sailboat I went with a 15kg Rocna which has done well in the various island anchorages of Socal. Though I have yet to get out to San Clemente unfortunately.
In our area a good place to start with on rode is a boat length of chain and if you really want to up it you go to two boats lengths plus at least a couple hundred feet of the 1/2" 8 plait. For my 36' 18000lb sailboat I have 90' of 5/16" G4/ht chain and 200' of the 1/2" plait. That basically gave me a comfortable 7-1 in 40' depth. If I thought that wasn't going to work then the plan was to be heading to port or well away from the shit. I found the cheapest option for the chain was a bucket from Defender. It was something like $300 with the shipping...that was about 6 years ago though. West Marine is mot likely a rip-off for chain. If you are trying to stay local check with the crane rigging places for chain. They can order anything chain related and are familiar with most of it.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
There is nothing magic about boat lengths - the more chain, the better, at least if it doesn't create a weight problem for you. Three reasons: 1) Better holding power -- the extra chain provides extra catinary, keeping the pull on the anchor nearly horizontal; 2) the rope part is subject to chaffing and failure; 3) the rope to chain connection is a failure point.

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
Corona
Name
Jeff
Boat
1 have 30 to 40 foot chain and 300' of rode.. I am also in Seaworld Marina.
I think we're damn near neighbors, actually. I've been paying for an empty slip down there for some time. Been moved around a bit...I am now paying for 142. Hope to be back by July 4, if not Father's day. It's been a LOOONNNNGGGGGGG repower and rewire project ;)

Reactions: gecsr1

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
Corona
Name
Jeff
Boat
Bruce anchor, twice the length of boat in chain, as much rode as the anchor locker will hold.

I get it... if 600 feet is good, 625 feet is better. Unfortunately, I don't know how much rode will fit in the locker until it's in the locker. Maybe it'll take 500, maybe it takes 250. I was hoping for a "usable minimum" to get an idea of where I need to start.

Thanks everyone for their input!

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat
Still Looking
The minimum rule of thumb is at least one boat length of chain, but that is just a minimum.
The danforth/fortress anchors have done well on the west coast, we have been in Pyramid cove in 50 knot winds with no problem on a Hi-strength Danforth with all chain on a 44 Pacifica. I typically go up one size for the anchor, especially with the fortress to prevent it from sailing when you drop it.
But let’s say you are only going to be able to squeeze about 250’ total in that anchor locker. I would go at least 60’ chain and 200’ of rope. Make sure to put a stopper on the bitter end of the rope so you don’t stand there and watch all of it dump into the ocean.
You want to have proper shackles wired tied with monel. If you use a swivel make sure to have shackles on both ends, at the anchor to swivel and the swivel to chain.
Also make sure you have matched the chain link size and type to your windlass gypsy - they are specific and not every setup works.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
I think we're damn near neighbors, actually. I've been paying for an empty slip down there for some time. Been moved around a bit...I am now paying for 142. Hope to be back by July 4, if not Father's day. It's been a LOOONNNNGGGGGGG repower and rewire project ;)
Hi, Yes we are both on the 100 Dock , I am in 163 been there around 12 years
looking forward to meeting you

Gary

[email protected]

May 6, 2004
Newport
Name
Dave
Boat
28 Farallon HOOKED
If you’re going to anchor up at SCI expect to lose anchor,chain and a good length of rode as well. The 9 and runway areas are brutal ! 22 lb Bruce and 30 ft of chain always held. Sometimes too well !! This was on a Farallon 28.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
I get it... if 600 feet is good, 625 feet is better. Unfortunately, I don't know how much rode will fit in the locker until it's in the locker. Maybe it'll take 500, maybe it takes 250. I was hoping for a "usable minimum" to get an idea of where I need to start.

Thanks everyone for their input!
There is no practical minimum, other than to say what you need is a function of four things: 1) depth at which you want to anchor, 2) conditions -- with no wind and no current, you can anchor as long as your rode (= chain and rope combined) > depth; but add wind and current, you need a multiple of rode to current -- 3 to 1 is typcial, 7 to 1 is storm (and if 7-1 won't hold, probably 10 to 1 won't either), 3) how much catenary you have -- force pulling down on the rode to keep it as horizontal as possible -- if you pull on a good anchor, way a bruce, straight sideways, it will just bury itself deeper. It may still drag, but it will do so from 30' under the ocean floor. In this regard, it is important to understand that the weight of a bunch of chain will resist that upward pull because it is heavy. Conversely, rope will form a straight line from your bow to the chain -- zero catanary, and 4) size of anchor. On my boat, which displaces 100,000 pounds, in storm conditions, we rely on a 110 pound bruce anchor with an all chain rode. I will deploy it to a 5 to one scope in typical conditions. That sticks me to the bottom. I have been in 40 knots gusting to 50 through the night without moving.

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
Corona
Name
Jeff
Boat
There is no practical minimum, other than to say what you need is a function of four things: 1) depth at which you want to anchor, 2) conditions -- with no wind and no current, you can anchor as long as your rode (= chain and rope combined) > depth; but add wind and current, you need a multiple of rode to current -- 3 to 1 is typcial, 7 to 1 is storm (and if 7-1 won't hold, probably 10 to 1 won't either), 3) how much catenary you have -- force pulling down on the rode to keep it as horizontal as possible -- if you pull on a good anchor, way a bruce, straight sideways, it will just bury itself deeper. It may still drag, but it will do so from 30' under the ocean floor. In this regard, it is important to understand that the weight of a bunch of chain will resist that upward pull because it is heavy. Conversely, rope will form a straight line from your bow to the chain -- zero catanary, and 4) size of anchor. On my boat, which displaces 100,000 pounds, in storm conditions, we rely on a 110 pound bruce anchor with an all chain rode. I will deploy it to a 5 to one scope in typical conditions. That sticks me to the bottom. I have been in 40 knots gusting to 50 through the night without moving.

Awesome reply, thank you!

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
Corona
Name
Jeff
Boat
If you’re going to anchor up at SCI expect to lose anchor,chain and a good length of rode as well. The 9 and runway areas are brutal ! 22 lb Bruce and 30 ft of chain always held. Sometimes too well !! This was on a Farallon 28.

How deep are you anchoring over there?

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
rule of thumb.... 3 to 1 scope on reg anchoring i.5 time the length of the boat for chain. , 7 to 1 for storm conditions. 100' chain. on my whaler 500'' of rope , 100' of 1/4'/5/16" chain. on the radovcich 500' of chain.

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
We run a min of 500’ of rope on all small boats wanting to fish Clemente besides the bass skiffs. We run 75’ of chain to 1000’ with a Bruce 33lb claw.