Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
I have a Penn 9/0 I want to load up with Cortland hollow core 130# dacron line for trolling. How many yards will it hold? Thanks, Tex.

PENN

Service Team
Advertiser
Jan 26, 2012
Philadelphia, PA, USA
www.pennfishing.com
Name
PENN
Boat
PENN
I have a Penn 9/0 I want to load up with Cortland hollow core 130# dacron line for trolling. How many yards will it hold? Thanks, Tex.
Hi Tex. Thanks for the question. The PENN 9/0 or Senator 115 will hold 1200 yards of #130 braided line. Although each type of braid varys as far as diameter, the Cortland's capacity should be fairly close. I would start with 850-1000 yards and see how much room you have left. We appreciate your support.

offshore6

Where's the tuna?
Aug 20, 2006
Indialantic, Florida
Name
Eric
Boat
Boat Ho
I think that you are going to find that Cortalnd Dacron line is very similar in diameter to monofilament. If that is truely the case, you are not going to get much more than 300 yards on there. Dacron is not in the same family as the spectra braided line. The response from Penn applies to "spectra" braid.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
I hear what you are saying. I was hoping to get more than that on it. The Cortland dacron is hollow so it lays flatter on the reel that mono, but it is some pretty good sized stuff.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I hear what you are saying. I was hoping to get more than that on it. The Cortland dacron is hollow so it lays flatter on the reel that mono, but it is some pretty good sized stuff.

I think a bit of clarification is needed:
For most folks these days, "braid" means one of the "superlines", such as Dyneema, Spectra, or other "Gel-spun Poly" lines.
However, a small percentage of anglers do still use traditional "Dacron" braided line, and as a previous poster noted, its diameter will be pretty close to monofilament, and you will most likely get in the 300-400 yard range, depending on installation method and personal fill-up level preference.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
okee doke. Thanks. I also have a 12/0 and a brand new never been used 14/0 I bought about 7 years ago that I could put the dacron on, but I think I'll keep the Cortland in my stockpile of lines and purchase some PP or JB to put on the 9/0.