How many scoops for a day of tuna fishing

saltpheen

Aug 17, 2017
Placerville
Name
Seagambler
Boat
20 north river sea hawk Grady white 282 sailfish
Was wondering how many scoops of bait you guys would bring out for a day of tuna fishing with 4 people on a boat

saltpheen

Aug 17, 2017
Placerville
Name
Seagambler
Boat
Obviously as much as you can was seeing what people would feel comfortable leaving the barge with

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
It all depends on your capacity and the health of the bait--other stuff factors into that like water temp, etc. For example, if you have a four scoop capacity, and the bait is in great shape with 69 degree water, jug that thing! If the bait sucks and the water is warm, maybe just go with a couple scoops...

saltpheen

Aug 17, 2017
Placerville
Name
Seagambler
Boat
I got a 50 gallon tank on the transom and was planning on adding a 90 to the deck would I was just more wondering if 2 scoops a day would be adequate

Reactions: woodfish330

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Buying 4 scoops and putting it in a 2 scoop tank makes no sense at all. So you should approach your thought with these suggestions.

"As much as you can...." means. ...As much as you can fit for the size tank you have.... without over crowding. Over crowding weakens the bait.... killing it. Scales come off.... not enough dissolved oxygen, the problems run on and on.

What type of bait tank.....shape.... fill and drain configuration all are key parts of that decision. Don't want to make it complicated. ... but it's expensive to "kill it" (your "live" bait) before your first stop. Happy to give you an educated suggestion..... but need more details.:confused:

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
All day bait for 4.....are you gonna chum? Live? Dead? 2 Scoops in the 90 gal works unless the weather is rough. Plus in my experience every bait receiver gives a.little different amount. What's cool about 2 separate tanks..... 2 different types of baits. Macks and sardines. ...etc.

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
I got a 50 gallon tank on the transom and was planning on adding a 90 to the deck would I was just more wondering if 2 scoops a day would be adequate
Two scoops is better than one but not as good as three assuming your set up can keep them alive.

I like chumming a lot and not having to worry about capacity, but if you are thoughtful (chum a couple of sticks here n there and chunk up the slow lethargic bait instead of tossing it overboard) 2 scoops can get the job done, no problem.

I found you have to chum pretty hard initially to get the YF to come up. Make sure you are on a decent school (lots of marks) before you dump a bunch of bait. After they come up, a couple of sticks here and there along with a steady chunk will usually keep them with the boat.

Yellowtail Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
First get a bigger boat with a bigger bait tank

Then buy more bait, repeat as needed

winnawinna17

the only thing worse than getting old... is not...
Apr 17, 2018
Los Angeles, California
Name
Tim
Boat
dreaming
🚨Where you going tuna fishing in the middle of January in Cali?🚨

2 scoops seems to be enough for a 4 man voyage to San Clemente Island.
maybe an extra scoop of live squid in the other bait tank

One mans theory goes... you only need 8 bait for 8 fish if you are lucky...:frehya2: