HOW MANY POUNDS OF DRAG PRESSURE WHEN SPOOLING BRAID

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by geebee, Jan 16, 2019.

1. stonefly

stonefly Member

Name:
    randy welsh
    Boat:
    16' mirrocraft
    so just to be clear,
    it's your contention that in the course of casting and retrieving wet braid on and off of my reel the moisture somehow does not wick entirely through to the arbor?

2. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I think it really depends on how much line is put out during these casts and retrieves. If it's only about 100 feet, then no problem. It will take a long time for salt to reach the arbor. If you soak a bait 200 yards out, then salt will reach the arbor more quickly. Washing off the reel will only allow the salt to penetrate deeper into the spool. Keep in mind that the arbor is not the only problem. Salt will eat through the sides of the spool also.

Some people claim that they never clean their line and they have not had any problems. Even after five plus years or so, but how do they know if they never take their line off their reels?

Applying a coat of car wax or Boeshield on the empty spool before installing the line helps with the problem, but is not bullet proof.

If you question the aggressive nature of Salt, take a look at some of the Boat Reels that are anodized aluminum. And that's on the outside of the reel.

I, personally, remove all my line and wash the it after each season. It's lots of work, but for me, it's worth it. Others disagree.

3. David Brewer

David Brewer Member

Name:
    Dave Brewer
    Boat:
    none

After seeing small spots on the arbor and sides of several of my reels, I agree 100 percent. I think that a good coat of wax on the spool is good preventative maintenance before reloading the line. This has kept mine from getting any worse over the last ten years.

Cubeye likes this.
  4. stephen campbell

stephen campbell aka "Soup"

Name:
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat:
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    P1010024.JPG

Bear in mind, I am retired, a complete figure it out do it yourself kind a guy. This started as $1.00 garden hose reel. If Ya get the idea it has a pipes acrost the high hose guides and risers and a pipes acrost 90 degrees to them. Carefully measure the distance around the square, mine is 41", make ya a chart and off ya go. Pull line off and wash as ya go, do marking if ya please, use it to measure any way ya need. Line spooled acrost the full width washes and dries easily.

Bug in the butter is to tension and respool on my, again home made, spooler the line has to be run onto a regular bulk spook. I do it on my lathe. The craziness continues hahaha Done this way you have end for ended the line on the reel. To get it back the way it was it has to be run from the first spool onto another be fore going back on the reel.

As Cubeye, said do as ya please, this is just how I do it so all my line gets washed, inspected and back on clean and tight.

Cubeye likes this.
  5. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I've seen others use your DIY method before. Seems to work well to remove and clean the line, but as you stated, it's more work to reinstall the dry line onto your reel.

6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    .sorry double post

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  7. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    now i'm wondering if any tackle or repair shops offer a braid spectra fishing line washing and drying service

and if any manufacturers have developed a commercial grade line washing system

it seems there would be a little money (and customer loyalty) involved with both

i've pretty much accepted that - without a good motorized line winder - the tackle shops will do that for me (i don't enjoy putting line on a reel and/or taking it off, and i don't even enjoy having done it because i'm no good at it without a proper tool)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  8. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes
    Rapala xrap 40 at 20 knots is the easiest

9. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

In 20 years I have NEVER washed my spectra and had zero issues.....and I have a line winder.... IMO not needed.....

snaphappy likes this.
  10. stonefly

stonefly Member

Name:
    randy welsh
    Boat:
    16' mirrocraft
    Yeah, my fishing is entirely on multi day trips.

Long soaks, many retrieves with wet line and an understanding of how capillary action works leave no question that reels wet all the way to the arbor anyway.

I don't question the corrosivness of salt at all,
    just the opposite and the thorough cleaning you describe is an upgrade over the soaking in a dilute solution of simple green and water i do now.
    I will consider all this.

thanks for the post.

Cubeye likes this.
  11. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I remove all the line on all my reels onto a empty spool with holes drilled in the arbor. Then soak the spool of line in a solution of water and Salt Away. After a couple of days, transfer the spool into a bucket of clean water. After a couple of days, transfer the spool into another bucket of clean water. After a couple of days pull it out to air dry. Haha...........lots of work and probably not necessary.

To each his own. That's the way I do it.

12. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Just throwing this out there...... has anyone ever lost a fish because of spool corrosion?

I have stripped off spectra to replace after years of use or because I want to put a different test spectra on......and have never had any spool corrosion.....I do coat my spools with Boishield T9 before spooling up and it is very dry here in Tucson so maybe that is why I don't have spool corrosion......but even if there is some spool corrosion will it cause you to lose a fish.....

13. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    I think living in Tucson works to your favor Fishy, I've had corrosion happen on a Boishield treated spool midway down on one side though I think it may have bin due from rubbing it off while fishing. Where I live when it rains outside I can go in my garage and my ExtraTuff's are dripping wet due from the increased humidity. I keep my reels in my closet but most of the humidity eventually equalizes.

I've never lost a fish from corrosion but it's kinda like if you prefer driving a car with a shiny finish or one with oxidized peeling paint. They both get you down the road.

Fishybuzz likes this.