How many of you tow with a 1/2 ton truck?

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    My 15,000lb boat and trailer gets the F350 DRW with the 6.7L. Feels a lot better the towing with the SRW F350.

If you feel uncomfortable or its hard and gives you white knuckles get the bigger truck.

Reactions: bajabills
    Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
    Jul 3, 2012
    Carpinteria
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
    06 Chevy 1500, 5.3, 2WD. Have no problem at the ramps, even low tide but had to add air bags, watch my stopping distance. Towed home pretty good from San Diego BUT,she would not be happy going up the Conejo grade or San Marcos pass at all. Mainly all I tow is 10 miles each way Carp to SB

Upvote 0

64 sleeper

Father Fisherman Hunter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Santa Ynez/CA/USA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    North River Seahawk
    I always like overkill rather than barely enough. Seems like most offshore boats are going to be over 5000 pounds, my boat is just barely 5000 with trailer and I tow with a 1999 F350 4x4 Super Duty Diesel (bought it used). I always end up with extra stuff in the truck for longer trips, why would you want to haul right at the trucks limit? I think diesels get better economy when loaded and will make up the difference in original purchase price (not on a new truck maybe), but I would never buy new anyways....after 2006 or so they have more emission garbage, get worse mileage and buying a truck for the price of a couple houses in the Midwest seems crazy to me. For around 20 grand you could get a really nice 2006 Diesel (Ford Dodge, Chevy, don't get Ford newer than 2002), some of those trucks
    will get 20 or more MPG and close to 15 towing....try that with a gas rig. I understand some people have one truck they drive everyday and use it more like a car most of the time, but still the newer diesels can handle that. GO DIESEL!

Reactions: Canyon
    Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    If you tow with a half ton, just research what is needed to keep your tranny cool and make sure your boats trailer brakes are in good shape

Upvote 0

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
    Jun 18, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Name
    Eric W.
    Boat
    Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
    Wow! Amazing the amount of weight some of you guys are pulling with a 1/2 ton. I have a Ram 3500 4X4 Dually and pulling a rather light boat (Wellcraft Coastal), but I still feel it back there and my braking is rather adequate with the dually. My one way is about 30-90 miles away and usually on I-5 or 1. I need the stability and stopping power and low end! 1/2 ton for me is an accident waiting to happen. 4X4 is a must to get out of Bodega and many of the ramps I frequent and I use it quite often!

Reactions: Canyon and Mo Betta
    Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    I have a new Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with the Air Ride suspension.

It's scary how much and how well this little truck tows. The motor has 440 ft pounds of torque and the air ride keeps the truck level and doesn't let the boat push the truck around.

I have towed a 30' Grady White (13k#) and 32' Andros (12k#) and it handles unbelievably well.

Reactions: starbright55
    Upvote 0
    Jun 5, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Clyde
    Boat
    252 GW Sailfish “Rosie”
    2005 2500 4x4 duramax. 37" tires and maybe souped up just a little. I dyno'd it when I had 35's it made 509hp 1017lb/ft at the tire. 340,000 miles and she's still going. Truck tows great other than a bit of black smoke at times

Upvote 0

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
    Apr 30, 2012
    Ca
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    blackman fishmachine
    Dodge megacab 4x4, 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    Blackman 26 Billfisher, Diesel , 150 gal., Of fuel.
    And 500lbs of gear. No question . Will tow anywhere.
    The engine brake is a perfect match.

Newport ramp at low tide is a 4x4 must have. Or a tow strap to another truck to help . Or pay them to hook up to you and pull your boat out.
    To Me:
    The 4x4 diesel is all there is. (If it's in the budget).

My friend pulls a 32 x12 ft aluminum sportfisher,
    With twin diesels with a 4x4 Chevy duallyfrom north Oc to Sd and back. Frequently. He fueles up in sd.

With a towing vehicle : bigger is better.
    No Question.

Last edited:
    Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
    Apr 30, 2012
    Ca
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    blackman fishmachine
    Yep , it only takes once, when the tail wags the dog.
    On a long downhill.....
    And suddenly you ,
    and your passengers , realize it's time to find a bathroom and clean up the mess you made.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    I like to keep excitement in my life, there is nothing like that Adrenalin rush to wake you up and make you feel alive. That is what you get when you tow with a '56 With 450+ hp there is plenty of power, It doesn't matter if I am towing or just pleasure driving it still gets 3 to 4 mpg. The four wheel drive is really one ton running gear so it comes with the BIG brakes... which work just a little better than sticking one foot out the door and dragging it. It has power steering which is really power assist and only helps once you are moving. The turning radius is almost half of what the new trucks is, and of course people know this so they cut you lots of slack. The fiber glass bed helps keep the weight down and even with the four wheel drive unit the truck tips the scales at 3500.... and towing a boat that weighs about the same, with very little weight over the rear wheels. One of the trick things about the truck is the rear bumper which has the same spare tire carrier as the corvette, which means you have a custom hitch that bolts to the frame behind the rear bumper and the ball cantilevers out about 16" from that. People who ride to the boat ramp with me only do it once, then they say they will meet me there... I guess feeling the boat moving the truck around must make them nervous or something.. getting the boat out of the water is no problem, it is kind of like punching it when going up the hill by my house, it just smokes the back tires. Fortunatly I can see Mission Bay from my front door so it is a very short tow, a long tow is when I have to go to SI. So what is the up side of it?? My insurance just put a value of 65 -70k on it... in 5 years your trucks value will go down and mine will go up... it just leaves a lot to be desired as a tow vehicle.

Upvote 0

Done_Deal

Sep 10, 2004
    Santa Monica
    mysite.verizon.net
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    19' Home Built
    Keep it coming.............

Again, how far are you guys towing one way.

My buddies are torn between:

1. going with the 3/4-1 ton diesel (average $46-54K) avg 16 mpg city, 18 hwy
    2. going with the 3/4-1 ton Gas (average $34-38K) avg 12 mpg city, 14 hwy
    3. going with the 1/2 ton Gas (average $28-32K) avg 14 mpg city, 19 hwy

Prices above are for no leather, no Nav, no sunroof, no 4X4 ( add about $3k for 4X4)
    MPG-non towing

One tows 8000 lbs
    The other tows 7500 lbs

Thanks!!

My 2003 Ford E250 van, gas-V8, has a tow rating of 7,500 pounds. Be careful, if you get into an accident while towing something that exceeds the tow rating insurance may not cover it.

Reactions: armand
    Upvote 0

forefrazier

Captain
    Jun 14, 2007
    OC
    Name
    Steve Frazier
    Boat
    Cabo 226
    Toyota Tundra 5.7 4x4 towing my Cabo 226. Would diesel be better? For sure but current rig tows it just fine and it is paid off! Probably 10mpg when pulling vs. 14-15mpg freeway solo.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Yep , it only takes once, when the tail wags the dog.
    On a long downhill.....
    And suddenly you ,
    and your passengers , realize it's time to find a bathroom and clean up the mess you made.
    Yep, did that with a 150 series E of SD on a hill. Trailer took me clear into the other lane before I got it straightened out. Bought the F350 crew long bed shortly after. Not a worry since.

Reactions: bajabills
    Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
    frazierpark ca usa
    Name
    gordon grant
    Boat
    30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
    I tow a 22' boat that weighes 4300 lbs that includes the trailer with a ford f150 4x4 that has 265000 miles on it 170 mile round trip to the ocean with a 5000' elevation change and it gets me there and back

Reactions: Canyon
    Upvote 0

skipjack

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Oct 20, 2004
    santa maria
    Name
    skip
    Boat
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    2010 2wdTundra 5.7L 381hp,400lbs of torque,with tow package,rated to 10,400 lbs towing. Tows my 2320 Parker just fine,maintains speed on grades.
    I get about 9 mpg towing 8,000 lbs (boat and trailer)

Upvote 0

tj805

Jan 26, 2012
    Los osos
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    19 arima sea chaser 12ft Livingston
    I believe you should always have more truck than you will need.
    I actually saved for a tow rig before I started saving for a boat.
    Got the tow rig then about 4 years later a boat.
    I have a 97 dodge Cummins 12 valve just hit 200k.
    It's been a rock solid truck for me and with my short runs to the launch ramp. It sould last quite a while.

Upvote 0

skiff

skiff
    Apr 30, 2007
    central coast of california
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    17' Radon
    I tow with a 2010 GMC Sierra, the half ton model. It's been nothing but the bomb for the entire time. I have a 17' Radon with twins that weighs, all told, boat and trailer, maybe 4000lbs, so it's relatively light tow..? I have a custom Trail Rite with an extra 3' on the frame, so it's easy to get the boat on and off and I've launched that thing from San Diego to Vancouver Island. One of the reasons I stick with a 17' length is among other things, I don't want to get forced up into a 3/4T truck. Can't say enough about the GMC. I've got 95K on it, with five years of hard, constant towing, and I'm nothing but satisfied.

Chops at Margie.jpg

Brad's Bunch, June 2012 0020.jpg

Chops off VI.jpg

Chopsy in driveway.jpg

tow.jpg

Reactions: glenniesan
    Upvote 0

GregorXr

Oct 5, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Robin Boyer
    Boat
    Patients Boat!
    97 Silverado half ton 5.7 liter gas seems to tow my 19ft gregor fine but no trips yet with it loaded down and a few friends. Time will tell.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    97 Silverado half ton 5.7 liter gas seems to tow my 19ft gregor fine but no trips yet with it loaded down and a few friends. Time will tell.
    You should barely notice a Gregor back there, light boats.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Hox57

It's all about the Grand kids
    Jul 31, 2013
    Fallbrook,Ca. US
    Name
    Gary Hoxie
    Boat
    Cabo CuddyCon 226 Tale Chaser
    2011 F150 small V8 pulling 256 Cabo CuddyCon - 9700 lbs total. take it out a dozen times a year from Fallbrook to either Oceanside - not as much, crappy parking, or Mission Bay. No issues other than the brakes discs are a bit warped from the heat generated from the load. Other than that all good.

Upvote 0