How many hours are 4 stroke outboards like the yam 250 3.3L good for?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Britt, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Britt

Britt Newbie

Name:
    Britt
    Boat:
    wooldridge alaskan
    Has anyone worn out a 150 to 250hp four stroke outboard? I'm looking at a grady with a pair of 2003 yam 225hp with 1600 hours, 890 of which was at idle and was wondering if they are not close to their end of life.
    What is the life expectancy of these engines?/ 2,000, 3,000 hours anyone had any experiance with this?

thanks
    :)

2. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216

Some of the boats in Alaska put 10,000 hours on their Yamahas. I have nearly 3000 on my 200 4 stroke and it is running strong!

3. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    It really depends on a few factors - engines that aren't propped right will not go as many hours as well as engines that aren't on a routine maintenance schedule. Regardless of brand, today's modern outboards will give excellent service - IMO at least 6,000 hours. Commercial guys get around 8 to 10 K hours as mentioned above. As a reference, I used to get at least 4K hours out of my old-school 2 strokes in a commercial application.
    Commercially used engines usually last longer because of routine use & maintenance.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    KnotyBuoyz likes this.
  4. jaydawg77

jaydawg77 Hi.

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    None
    My brother has over 3000 on his F250 and it's running like a top!

5. Britt

Britt Newbie

Name:
    Britt
    Boat:
    wooldridge alaskan
    what year is your 200? Yamaha told me that there was a corrosion issue with the pre 2006 engines and the ones on the grady are 2003 but I'm told there is an easy way to check

6. Britt

Britt Newbie

Name:
    Britt
    Boat:
    wooldridge alaskan
    thanks. I've been an IO guy for years for economy and longevity but in 2012 I bought a merc 115 that sold me on 4stroke ob's. This engine dosent use much gas and trolls better on less fuel than my 9.9 kicker on my Wooldridge Alaskan. I love all the extra room in the boat with the ob in stead of an io

Nardo and Bottom Line like this.
  7. Britt

Britt Newbie

Name:
    Britt
    Boat:
    wooldridge alaskan
    What year is your brothers F250?
    200-225-250 same powerhead until 2008 when yam came out with the 4.2l ob. Funny they still sell both the 4.2 and the heavy 3.3L in 335 and 250. Makes me think maybe yam isn't sure of the 4.2 but they know the 3.3 is solid. what do you think?
    Thanks for the input, much appreciated

8. jaydawg77

jaydawg77 Hi.

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    None
    I'm going to guess 2006 or 2007

9. Britt

Britt Newbie

Name:
    Britt
    Boat:
    wooldridge alaskan
    so his was made after yam fixed the issue. The repairs are about $4,000 per engine I've read

10. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Boston Whaler Guardians
    Can't go wrong with either the 3.3L or the 4.2L. Aside from the well documented exhaust corrosion issue faced with the F200/F225 and some F250s in the 2002-2005 model year range, these motors when properly maintained, propped and run can provide 4,000-14,000 hours of life (lower units may not last as long). Many of the commerical guys love with the 3.3L. The exhaust updates typically run $1,500 per motor ($800 in parts and about 6hrs labor) and may/may not be or could be an issue for a motor in that model year.

It's been my experience that motors that get to 1,500hrs - 2,000hrs require mid-section bushing replacement as slop from use is evident.

Usually 50-60% of hours are below 2,000 RPM. If boat was trolled significantly then a good % will be at troll, then a large % will be at whatever the boat cruising RPM was. Ideally the fewer the hours over 5,000, the better piece of mind one has. Limited error codes (can be reset) and overheats (can not be reset) is ideal.

I have had a few guys recently repower from F250s 3.3L to F250 4.2L and saw a 1 mph improvement at WOT and almost 20% better MPG. Ironically, the props from the 3.3L wasn't even close to being the correct prop for the 4.2L. Those 4.2L like larger diameters wheels due to their increased torque and lower grear ratio in lower unit vs. 3.3L.

As for motors off the Grady, if the Grady was a 33' Express, I might have some concern since those motor generally were close to 5,000 RPM at cruise with some pretty flat wheels.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  11. Britt

Britt Newbie

Name:
    Britt
    Boat:
    wooldridge alaskan
    thank you very much for the info. The boats are a sailfish 282 with 2003 F225's, 1600 hours, and the other is a 2005 grady Islander 270 with 2009 F250's with 300 hours. The islander I'm not concerned with, the motors with such low hours but the 282, a twelve hundred pounds larger with 2003 225's is a concern. The 282 is very nicely equipped with almost new professional electronics open array radar and is located close to me at a very good price.
    I've noticed when researching the net comments that the 3.3 was slightly more fuel efficient. I'm inclinded to believe the newer design the 4.2 is the same or better fuel consumption wise. If I buy either of them I won't have money for majpor engine repairs for a long time

12. ShadBurke

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    One of the local six pack charter guys running a Parker Pilothouse 25' DV that weight in at 9,400lbs runs F150s and have close to 5,000 hrs on the powerheads. Lowers start to go after 4,000 hrs....

Jamie (Season's Sportfishing) runs F200s on his 2520 XLD Parker DV and has over 5,000 hrs on his motors now. Fuel efficiency decline isn't as significant when loaded down when compared to the F150s for what that's worth.

I wouldn't hesitate on a set of F225s assuming compression/leak down was consistent and close to 210 psi warm, ECM data was appropriate, maintenance is current and the midsection exhaust updates were completed (or reflected in purchase price of motors).

And lastly, make sure the length of the motors are correct for your application, either being 25" (X) or 30" (U) and weather motors are mechanically or digitally controlled (mechanical controls/guages/harnesses are significantly cheaper than digital).

Hope that helps.

13. Britt

Britt Newbie

Name:
    Britt
    Boat:
    wooldridge alaskan
    Thanks, I will check the items mentioned and the exhaust update is something I've questioned on the 2003 225's but the broker says he dosent know. I read something about removing the lower unit to inspect for corrosion which I may have to have done. From the engine check I was sent it looks like there is 10psi difference between the cylinders of one engine which is not to my liking. The other e
    thanks for your comments I will follow your suggestions. I understand by removing the lower unit you can see if the corrosion fix has been done to these engines. Whqat do you think about the engine report below and the 10psi difference between cylinders in the starboard engine?

upload_2014-11-8_10-56-39.png upload_2014-11-8_11-1-47.png

14. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216

2002. It was one of the first ones out of the factory. The exhaust did have to be replaced but I am lucky and know how to do it. When you remove the lower unit to change the water pump impeller, just look up inside and it is pretty obvious if there is a corrosion issue. I lived with mine as long as possible and when the overheat alarm started to come on after long periods of idling, I knew it was time. My understanding that the 200-225 after 2005 don't have as many issues as the 2002-2004 model year.

15. Britt

Britt Newbie

Name:
    Britt
    Boat:
    wooldridge alaskan
    Thanks. When I called Yamaha regarding this issue the guy said from 2006 on they don't have the problem.. If I make a deal on the boat I'm going to make sure I have an engine survey and request the lower units be removed to inspect for corrosion.

16. jdm61

jdm61 Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Blind Lemon
    I cannot attest to the truth of this, but one of the things that the commercial guys say is that these engines lifespan can be measured in hours and in years. You see engines with ridiculous hours on them, but they have been used darn near every day and taken care if. You see others that are the same age and appear to have the same wear and tear, but with maybe 35-40% of the hours. You hear stories all the time here in the Durty South about commercial guys who put STOOPID numbers of hours on their old Yamaha OX66 two strokes.

17. jdm61

jdm61 Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Blind Lemon
    You hear numbers like that from the commercial guys down here for the old OX66's!!!!!:eek:

18. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    6000 on a pair of '84 200's & still running solid. Easy to fix & keep running. Seems like the 4 strokes are also very reliable.

Yamaha makes a great outboard.

19. elsegundo

elsegundo Newbie

Name:
    matt peake
    Boat:
    25 foot pursuit
    I can tell you that going wrong with a Yamaha F225 or F250 is not that hard to do. I had a 225 with less than 250 hours and it rotted from the inside out through the exhaust channel. I contacted Yamaha and they were amazed to hear of a rust problem on one of their motors. I was amazed they had never heard about it because once I started looking into the problem on this website and "thehulltruth.com", it was easy to see they had several model years that had corrosion problems. I contacted Yamaha once again and was told this is very rare and they would not assist with parts or labor That was in 2009, I've heard they got sued and suddenly their eye sight improved and now they will at least help a little.

I currently have a F250B that always had an issue with the center cylinder on the starboard side, the spark plugs would foul and the engine would run rough and the cooling system never really pissed out a lot of water through the water vent. It never over heated and the engine oil is crystal clear, This last weekend the motor seized (of coarse out of warranted 1.5 years) I am looking at spending 5,000 on a new power heard. It seems that piston in stbd center cylinder cracked and now I have to waste a lot of money and time on the motor. My advise to anybody with a Yamaha is to take it in anytime something acts odd and have it inspected,register a complaint and keep notes on who you talked to.I've have the problem with my latest motor and was told not to worry about it. Now I'm down for the season and out 5k on a known problem.

20. ShadBurke

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    Oem powerheads cost more than $5k.