How many "dead-heads"....

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by steelonthefly, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Buddha

Buddha Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    UCSB- Daughters School
    Dead Heads on Boat = I will not fish it again. .

2. spike

spike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Spike Ivins
    Boat:
    any chance I get
    There is nothing more LAME than hearing man screams from a Dead Head, "Your on Me, Your on me, YOUR TANGLED ON ME!" Fucking Donkeys, looking good is half the battle.

3. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    Deadhead on a limited load is a big no-no for any of the boats that I fish.

5 deadheads!? That's major BS.

Even when I am a deadhead, you'll likely never know it. Most assume I'm crew on a day off. You'll see me rinse the boat, healp scrub, bag and even fillet fish.(most deadheads won't, but I'm a deckhand on other boats) I'm not in the troll rotation, usually don't have a number and rarely come aft of the gate unless I'm on a bigger fish.

4. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    One hippie is too many.

j

5. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Member

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Jawsh's
    Just man up and tell the dead head whats up! That happened to me on a 3/4 day trip and I straight up called bullshit and made a big scene and told the captain to put this kid in check. The dead head was way cool after that, if you let someone walk all over you then why would they stop?

6. miguelitro

miguelitro Patrocinado por Adelitas

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    kayak
    I too used to dead head. get on with a positive attitude, help people rig paying special attention to rental rods, stay out of the corners, help people gaff and tag if it gets busy, throw jigs on the bow more than bait fish, help clean, fish more, help clean, get really drunk and hit on girlfriends/wives of paying customers.:D
    Maybe not that last part!
    Mike

7. TakeItEasy

TakeItEasy Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    Sold
    Unless you disclose the name of the boat and time, we all going to have the same experience.
    What are you afraid of?

8. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    most deadheads know how to fish and are usually staying out of the way of the clueless mayhem that most guys complain about,following your bait is one thing but getting in the trolling rotation or pushing through people on the corner or stern is not something i ever did so i could keep a good relationship with the skippers i was doin business with,a discussion with any business minded captain should solve the problem, if not that boat doesnt deserve your business.
    5 extra passengers on a limited load especially multiple days is way out of line and if nothing was said during the trip to quote george the pussification of america is near complete

9. yakergreg

yakergreg Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Crestliner Angler
    Last cattle boat I was on (over 25 years ago) my jack pot fish (by at least 10lbs) disappeared from my bag. Never again.

10. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    I DH from time to time and when I do I tip really well, help out with the newbies and stay out of the way.....and generally do really well and if I don't who cares it was better than sitting at home.

11. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    Yeah that sucks. I deadhead sometimes and make sure to stay out of the paying guys way and help rig and grab fish from the rail. However if I were on a boat with 5 dead heads and I had paid a bunch of money, I would be super pissed and for sure would let them know that I expected a partial refund.

12. dkd711

dkd711 Skunk Master...

Name:
    Duke
    Boat:
    "WFO SKUNK"
    I thought you were leaving Buttercup? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. bluebleeder

bluebleeder Newbie

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    I Wish

Found his balls, I suppose.

14. skipper2101

skipper2101 Newbie

Name:
    Boat:
    Alright, I know how this is going to be received by the BD community but I am sure I am not the only one wondering, which boat? I am not trying to torpedo anyone's operation, however if these allegations are true it might be in eveyones best interest to name the vessel and give them the opportunity to respond. If there is indeed a problem with excessive deadheading maybe that operation could work to improve their business and customer relations. i believe as the people who pay to keep these vessels operating we deserve accountability. i would also wager that every sportfishing boat "we" patronize knows about BD and how to monitor their reputation.
    I have no problem giving 2nd, 3rd or even 4th chances to an operation that realizes mistakes and strives to provide better service.
    Yes I understand how difficult it is to own/operate a boat, but there are reasons why some fall by the wayside. All things being equal customer experience should not be one of them. In my experience in business customer service was one aspect I had absolute controll over.

Fire for effect!

15. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    I vote no. We still only have the op's version. Boat owners & Capt.s have better things to do than come on BD and defend every allegation.....The op can address this with the boat and their wallet in the future.

16. Omarkayak

Omarkayak Member

Name:
    Bills
    Boat:
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    I don't really see an issue. As long as he was trolling in the middle and not the corners...

And didn't leave his troll rig unattended.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

17. steelonthefly

steelonthefly I'll sleep when I'm dead

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Dory,Scadden,Truline, Freedom, Aloha Spirit, SA80, Shogun
    First, #1, help me out and better define the, what I can only assume is slang, term "Deadhead" as used in a party boat situation, in your own words please.

Second, #2, Do you think I would have asked my question, after the fact, if I knew enough to call the captain out on this B.S.?? And would you have "stirred the pot" and set a negative tone for the duration of the trip once the boat is underway??? It ain't gonna change at that point is it????

Third, #3, If there are 34 people in the galley, not including any of the crew, during the safety speech, who or what are these additional 5 people in your definition?

Fourth, #4, If 5 additional people sign the Manifest, below the number 29, and are not assigned a number... well refer back to question #3.

Fifth, #5, when all of the fish are laid out on the deck on the return home and the #34 has more fish than any one persons limit what is this indicative of??

The above list of questions is sincere, I am trying to gain an understanding of the protocol that is accepted among the fleet. Before I get too many of you fat or fatter on popcorn and beer!!!

This post was not angled at "slandering" any captain or boat and what I have stated I believe to be fact.

Footnote: The owner/captain was not on this particular trip.

I have been fishing partyboats for 5 years. Fly-fishing for 17 and started fishing over 30 years ago. Been on many overnight, 1.5 day, 2 day, 2.5 day, 3 day, 5 day, and 8 day trips. I have seen good and bad service, mostly good. I understand you get what you pay for and would love to know if I got what I paid for or did I get the shaft.

At this point, given the responses, I got the shaft and this is B.S..

P.S. The landing was called yesterday, stated this practice is unacceptable, and promised a return call yesterday or today...Still waiting to hear back.

18. steelonthefly

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Do a little leg work bro...Just search threads that I have posted and you will find one that references my excitement about heading out on this boat again from last week...

19. hilltop

hilltop lurking in the shallows

Name:
    hilltop
    Boat:
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    fished with you on shogun, you are a-ok in my book bro. good to point out such practice, as well as get some answers from those more knowledgeable imo.
    tight lines.

20. steelonthefly

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    ...I am afraid of the Kraken, pirates, and Drug cartels...

...refer to my last post or PM me bro...