steelonthefly

I'll sleep when I'm dead
Aug 29, 2010
Woodland Hills/CA/USA
Name
Ryan
Boat
Dory,Scadden,Truline, Freedom, Aloha Spirit, SA80, Shogun
...is an acceptable number on a "Limited Load" trip???? Or any trip for that matter???

Someone PLEASE explain Dead-head protocol to me...

I booked a 2 1/2 Day "Limited load" trip that said the number of passengers would be limited to 29 people.

There were 34 people fishing.

That is more than a 17% increase in passengers. Am I entitled to a 17% refund?

One individual "posted up" on every troll rotation, right in the middle of the 4 assigned trollers. Yes, self assigned, troller #5!!!!! Seriously?!?!?!

Of course, the "fine print" reads that the boat has the right to overbook by ONE in case of a cancellation, so really, it's only about a 13% increase by the "letter of the law".

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Why I don't cattle car no mo.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    Deadheads tend to leave a bad taste in the mouth of customers who have paid full fare. Most good professional operations seldom have deadheads on their trips. If it is a limited load trip then the boat should never go over the stated load number including any deadheads, friends of the family etc. I would tell the captain and the landing that adding 5 deadheads to a limited load trip is unacceptable and that you will be taking your business elsewhere then step back and see how they reply. If they try to make it right then you can give them another chance. If they don't then I would be looking for another boat to ride on.

Upvote 0

california2

Jan 29, 2011
    N. OC
    Name
    cali
    Boat
    boat
    Sounds like a valid post. There is no mention of the boats name. For a limited load trip where I'm paying a higher premium, I think there should be ZERO Deadheads on board. Drifting with that many people sucks as is.

Upvote 0

Derfsondeck

DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    May 28, 2006
    Ventura
    Name
    Fred
    Boat
    Poopshoot
    Why would he get blasted for a valid question?That many deadheads is bullshit.Been through it and I wasnt happy.Not much you can do.Just dont go on that boat again.

Upvote 0

spike

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 6, 2006
    San Clemente CA
    Name
    Spike Ivins
    Boat
    any chance I get
    I think there should be none.

It's a disservice to the 29 anglers who paid in full. I understand a family member or something coming out, but if your that guy or gal try to have some class and not think your above the rest of the group, instead maybe be helpful and curtious, or just blend in. Nothing worse than some blow hard dead head, or snot nose punk kid who thinks he invented calico bass fishing. Just my two cents, I don't appreciate it either, even after I out fish them.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    If it is a limited load trip then the boat should never go over the stated load number including any deadheads, friends of the family etc. I would tell the captain and the landing that adding 5 deadheads to a limited load trip is unacceptable and that you will be taking your business elsewhere then step back and see how they reply. If they try to make it right then you can give them another chance. If they don't then I would be looking for another boat to ride on.

Bingo!

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
    Jul 9, 2006
    Warner Springs
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    I have been the deadhead many times. Very seldom did anyone know I was though.

Upvote 0

heatmiser

Gear Whore
    Oct 1, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    23' Chris Craft Sea Hawk
    I think it is BS if they go over the stated number of limited anglers. I would talk to the owner and let him know your thoughts. Very valid in my opinion.

Upvote 0
    S

South Bend

How did you know they were "dead heads"? Did they admit they were riding for free or did you ask them directly? Just wondering.

If it was confirmed that they had five dead heads on the boat, then a trip to the wheel house was in order immediately. I would request that the Captain had a sit down with these guys and make sure no paying customer had to compete at the rail for fishing room with them or they don't even think about getting in the troll rotation. If the Captain refused, then obviously that would be the last time on his boat.

Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    I think 5 over is BS and makes for a heavy crowd on a 2.5 day.

If that is the case, bad move by the boat.

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
    Jun 28, 2006
    El Cazonn on way to Florida
    Name
    Frank F
    Boat
    Boat-less (Sad)
    I was a Dead head for years.
    I traded my service's ( labor) for trips.
    Worked on lots of boats and they all handled it a little different.
    Some boats you had a number and had permits.
    Others you you did not. Most times I was treated like a crew member, that I was often.On a day off and always took a night shift and the going home shift.
    Nothing is for free.
    If you don't like the way I run my boat . fish a different.

PS- W/O a number Never in the JP and no trolling rotaiton

Upvote 0

spike

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 6, 2006
    San Clemente CA
    Name
    Spike Ivins
    Boat
    any chance I get
    There is nothing more LAME than hearing man screams from a Dead Head, "Your on Me, Your on me, YOUR TANGLED ON ME!" Fucking Donkeys, looking good is half the battle.

Upvote 0

Smudge

Moderate
    Mar 11, 2005
    Hollywood, FL
    www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    I'm just a deckhand...
    Deadhead on a limited load is a big no-no for any of the boats that I fish.

5 deadheads!? That's major BS.

Even when I am a deadhead, you'll likely never know it. Most assume I'm crew on a day off. You'll see me rinse the boat, healp scrub, bag and even fillet fish.(most deadheads won't, but I'm a deckhand on other boats) I'm not in the troll rotation, usually don't have a number and rarely come aft of the gate unless I'm on a bigger fish.

Upvote 0

jscrib

Whale Cock
    Apr 29, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Name
    j
    Boat
    VS
    One hippie is too many.

j

Upvote 0

BigfishDM

Aug 3, 2011
    TunaTown
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Jawsh's
    Just man up and tell the dead head whats up! That happened to me on a 3/4 day trip and I straight up called bullshit and made a big scene and told the captain to put this kid in check. The dead head was way cool after that, if you let someone walk all over you then why would they stop?

Upvote 0