How long is Specta good for?

Aug 2, 2009
HB
Name
Mike
Boat
Shamrock CC
I have had my current spectra on my reels for 2 seasons, is it something I should look into replacing for this season?

Upvote 0

mindbent

Feb 26, 2015
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat
one that floats
No need to replace spectra. Depending on how often it's fished it doesn't hurt to take it of the spool for a good cleaning.

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
Some of my reels have had the same spectra backing for 10 years now. 2-4 LR trips a year, occasional local/overnight trip, freshwater rinse after every trip, reels are all dried completely and stored in a closet. Every couple of years, depending upon how frequently they've been fished, I strip some of the reels with the Swifty system, wash and re-spool the spectra.

Never had to replace any spectra. I've gotten rid of a couple of spectra fills because of waxy coatings, bleeding colors and the like - but they weren't worn out.

2 seasons is just getting broken in!

Reactions: Bigfishhateme
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    As noted by others, braided lines don't wear out and are theoretically good for a decade or more. However, the facts of fishing are that it is possible to cause damage to braided lines through abrasion, resulting in weak spots if some of the multiple strands which make up a braided line have been damaged.

If you are fishing in a rocky area, or hauling big fish up from a wreck, or trying to get a yellowtail out of an oil platform's leg, or tangled with a couple of other tuna on the other side of the boat's bottom, then your braid is being damaged. It is smart to take your gloves or finger tape off towards the end of a day and reel in slowly while feeling the braid carefully as you lay it onto the reel to be sure that it has not been hurt significantly. If is has, then that portion of your fillup should be removed and recycled. Usually it is going to be in the final fifty yards or so, so the reel is still quite fishable.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    I dont beleive any has gone bad since its inception.That being said I would say forever...for now.

Reactions: hotrail20
    Upvote 0

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
    May 29, 2005
    Sd/Oc
    Name
    danny
    Boat
    Hall pass
    Depends on how much fish you catch I think! I notice my braid starts to flatten out after so many catch!!!

Not too many will have this problem! lmAo

Upvote 0

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
    Oct 7, 2009
    Phoenix Hellazona
    Name
    Azlandlocked
    Boat
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    :jig:I fish 10-12 days a year. I have some spectra that's 9 years old & I don't plan on changing it this season & no I don't wash the stuff either. I just soak for a day in fresh water & let air dry for a few days & your good to go.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    It depends--on several things. All spectra is NOT made the same, and is not of the same quality. The best suggestion I heard was from "Active Geezer" who said to reel it in slowly--and feel it, ever inch. Just like mono, if you find a bad spot--no matter what brand or pound test, you need to do something about it. If it is found any distance in to the spool, you can cut and tie the ends together--a few of the braid to braid knots are so thin that it won't hurt anything. One thing I used to do that turned out to be dead wrong: I would let all the line out on the ride home and use a cloth wet with fresh water and reel in "cleaning" the line. Several people told me that salt--not fresh water, is better at cleaning and preserving--fresh water can cause rot.

Upvote 0

mindbent

Feb 26, 2015
    I.E.
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    one that floats
    :jig:I fish 10-12 days a year. I have some spectra that's 9 years old & I don't plan on changing it this season & no I don't wash the stuff either. I just soak for a day in fresh water & let air dry for a few days & your good to go.

Just the braid, right? I wouldn't soak the reel.

Upvote 0

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
    Oct 7, 2009
    Phoenix Hellazona
    Name
    Azlandlocked
    Boat
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    Just the braid, right? I wouldn't soak the reel.
    Reel & all Jon . Not sure about the 1-3 day trips but the long range ships always supply bucks filled with fresh water to do a fast soak in on the way home to remove some of the salt build up. When I get home is when I do the over night soak ..living in Arizona where the climate is dry as hell the 3-4 dry out works very well.

Upvote 0

mindbent

Feb 26, 2015
    I.E.
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    one that floats
    It's not how long it takes to dry it's water getting where you don't want it. Eventually corrosion will happen and it could be costly. I would never ever dunk my reels in a bucket of water and let them soke. I just spray them down and wipe them off. If I want to clean the braid then I use a swifty and have my local shop respool it for me.

Upvote 0

mike1010

Almost A Member
    Feb 17, 2013
    SUMMIT
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    none
    Spraying a reel can flush oil out of bearings. If you must spray it, use just a gentle, fine mist. BTW, Avet recommends submerging their reels for cleaning (with the drag closed, of course). I do that with my Penns and Abus as well. Works great.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    No matter what you see or feel in the first 5ft or so of your spectra there is damage wether you can detect it or not. After each trip I cut off about 6ft of the spectra and re-tie on a new leader. Doing this keeps your leader to spectra knot in tip top condition and eliminates and section of spectra with undetected damage. Also a good practice is after 2 years reverse the spectra on your reel.
    Wind it off on a spool then wind that line back on to another reel then re-spool the line back on to the original reel. That way you put the fresh end of the spectra that hardly sees the light of day at the beginning of the reel spool. This practice is of particular value especially if you are using proper line appropiate for the target species.
    If you are using 50-60lb test to fish for 20 lb. YT's then just leave the spectra alone it should last forever.

Walt

Last edited:
    Upvote 0