How Long is Braided Line Good For?

fishdog43

Mar 3, 2021
OC
Name
Eric Metz
Boat
none
I've pretty much been out of the fishing scene for the past couple of years due to some medical issues (non-covid). I'm finally going to try and get back out there on a limited basis and thought I'd start with some of my lighter tackle throwing plastics mainly in HB and NB harbors. I have a few Shimano Calcuttas that have (I think) 15-pound braided line on them that I want to use for this. Question is, sitting in the garage for a couple years, and being the line was a couple of years old to start with before that is it still good line or should I replace it? Any favorite brands and sizes (pound test) that anybody likes in particular for light casting reels? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Eric Ancog

Almost A Member
  • Mar 3, 2018
    Lakewood
    Name
    Eric Ancog
    Boat
    Independence, Shogun, Red Rooster III
    The braid should be fine as long as if its been stored in a cool and dry place away from the elements. You can always just peel the line back and inspect it and check if any parts of the line have been compromised. My favorite brands of braid are Berkley Pro Spec, Toro Tamer, Daiwa J Braid and Momoi Diamond braid.

Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Kzaam
    Boat
    Jasmine
    Should be good I think. But if you notice any deterioration and want to replace the line. I really like Sufix 832 in #15.

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Any time that you lack confidence in your line, it is cheap enough to replace it so that you dont spend your day worrying about it.
    Braid is not cheap, compare to mono braid is pretty expensive, if you are spooled up with 15 lb braid and 10 lb top shot the top shot is still the weakest component in that combination.

I would carefully inspect the line if it's in good shape, replace top shot and go fishing.
    Good luck, good health and stay safe.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    Braid is not cheap, compare to mono braid is pretty expensive, if you are spooled up with 15 lb braid and 10 lb top shot the top shot is still the weakest component in that combination.

I would carefully inspect the line if it's in good shape, replace top shot and go fishing.
    Good luck, good health and stay safe.
    15# braid is cheaper than spending all day worrying about it.

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    Spectra, PE, and Dyneema are used in tactical vests for law enforcement and military. My department issued vests always had expiration dates of 5 years, and the vests weren’t exposed to sunlight, salt etc..

If you really need to watch your $$, flip the line and use the fresher section for another season.

Reactions: KXKH
    Upvote 0