How Long In Advance Do You Put Line On Reels?

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
How far in advance of a longer trip do you put fresh mono or floro on your reels? Its always a question for me as I get ready to go on a trip. I don't want the line to take a set, but I'm always real busy just before a trip with other packing, taking care of work and home obligations, etc. And I don't want to lug a bagful of line with me onto the boat and into my room.

What I've worked out over the years is basically the weekend before a trip to put line on the reels that take a lot of line, like yoyo or wahoo reels, or a troller where the line gets straightened out just by the boat's movement. Topshots get put on while on the boat, which also lets me adjust depending upon what the captain/crew recommend.

It seems to work out, but always happy to hear to what others do and see if there's a method that might work better.

So what do you guys do?

Reactions: shellback
Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I put topshots on the boat. Overnight, the day before the trip. (In the old days of mono) If not it is important to put a hook on and let it set overnight. Putting some line out behind the boat is also a good idea. Back in the mono days I was religious about 15# changeout each night, 25# every 3 day trip.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    I like to put leaders on a late as possible—travel days on longer trips. It’s a bit of a pain to lug around, but I take a small Rubbermaid-type bin with me and store most of my leader material in my stateroom. The # line I’m using most stays up top in a small tackle bag.
    If I’m using mono, I usually put it on before the trip.

Reactions: Pangamaster
    Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    as Billy said on the way to the bait barge drag your line behind the boat. I stretch the line if I use mono. With braid I put the top sot on the boat as we do not know in advance what size they are hitting Good Luck

Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    I always find myself changing out top shots on the boat while heading out , I just can’t find the time before the trip because I just get on trips as the spur of the moment ...

I kind of hate it because I often find myself getting to bed late getting rigged up !!

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I spool all my reels with braid. Leaders go on as we are headed out on the boat. Keep a small spool of leader material in my pocket and attach with an FG knot. Can change out in a couple minutes if damaged or conditions change.

If I were using mono top shots I would do as you describe and spool them on a day or two before the trip.

Reactions: furgus
    Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    Sounds like most of us put the topshots on during the boat ride and a few of us are smart-azzes. I guess no real surprise on either count. :p:

I do think however that I will continue to spool up yoyo/wahoo reels with 75-100 yards of mono at home close to the departure date because I don't want to take large spools with me and a strong set doesn't have time to take.

Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
    Apr 5, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Excel
    Mono topshot - a few days before the trip while packing. Mono is cheap and I change out my #30, #40, and #50 topshots after each trip/

Fluro Wind-Ons - on the boat ride out when I know what to expect.

Reactions: themacs
    Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I spool up all my bait and surface iron reels the week before with most running a 90' topshot of mono with a piece of fluoro.
    Shamelessly yoyo, dropperloop, and trolling outfits depending on the amount of use get changed out every 1-2 years depending on what kind of use they get. I don't see the need to change line on a reel due to line set when hanging something heavy on the end. Live bait fishing is a different story.

Upvote 0

Halfprice

Aug 10, 2006
    Whittier
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat
    Red Rooster 111
    I fill all my reels about a week before the trip. Usually 50 to 75 ft on mono. THe past three trips 2-8 day and 1-11 day I use straight mono except when cow fishing with flouro wind ons. The fishing has been so good the past few years I found flouro wasnt needed

I also set my drags after filling the line. I know everyone says check the drags each day on the boat, which ive done also, and I never needed to do any adjustments,. Home and boat has always been the same.\

Jerry

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I always do it 1 - 2 weeks before the trip....if it’s a short fluro or leader to spectra i do it on the boat. Every thing else I do before. Cocktails, friends, seas, get in the way once you leave port.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    My stuff is done weeks before I get on the boat. I don't want to deal with getting mono replaced on wahoo rigs or topshots the day before or once we board. I just want to get my reels on the right rods, check/set my drags and tie hooks, jigs etc and relax. I try to avoid the mob scene around the tackle racks as much as possible

Reactions: Cubeye and dtf
    Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    How long in advance do I put line on my reels for longer trips? It depends how long it will be before we fish on the trip. Typically I do not put any top shots on any reel until the day before we fish it. If we have 4 days of travel, I may rig up one 40-60 lbs. rig the first day just in case we come across a patty. Usually I wait until the afternoon of day 4 to add top shots.

I usually do not even put the reels on the rods until the day before I rig up. Why expose the reels to more salt spray than needed? I also keep my reels covered in the rack until they are used. If Wes and Ken (from Ken's Custom Reels) do it that way, so am I. They seem to know a thing or two about reel maintenance.

Except for my surface iron rig with a 75 yard mono top shot, I use 25' loop to loop fluoro leaders on everything else unless we are fishing at night which would be 200' mono. It all depends, there are many variables...

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    With the nearby Tuna I now bring 3 or 4 ready rigs at boarding.

I put the troll leader loop-to-loop on a few days before the trip.
    I put loop to loop on a few days before or on the way down.
    For mono top shots it depends on my mood.
    If mono on early try to un-loop on the way south. If biting I change mono daily. With wind-on fluoro I cut off some after each fish.

I try to set my drag each day, relax it at night, and use a reel cover when not in use.

Upvote 0