geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
haven't fished this boat in many years - thinking of going on it this week, advertised for big bluefin (don't want to fish for small school YFT)

i know they returned early last week from a similar BBF tuna trip with pump problems

BTW is San Clemente Island SCI considered off-shore or in-shore

Last edited:

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat

duckgunner

Aug 14, 2018
Encinitas
Name
Jason
Boat
10' Cobra Kayak
Andrew and the Prowler crew are top notch. If they had boat issues last week they'd get those resolved before going out again. You'll be fine. Do it!

Reactions: geebee

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
On any given day, any boat can be top dog or strike out. Two weeks ago Thursday Andrew and his crew produced limits for 23 anglers on a day and a half. 46 Bluefin 40-100 lbs. He made a call to fish Tanner Bank and it paid off.
Aztec has posted some pretty good counts recently. It’s fishing, book a trip ang go!

Highwayman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 25, 2015
Name
Sammy
Boat
None
If the schedule says they are fishing BFT that is what they target specifically. If it does not you probably will be fishing yft/YT/ skippies.

Reactions: caballo del mar

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
The prowler does fine on big bluefin when they target them. They just have spent most of the season targeting the user friendly peanuts.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
looks like it will be a lite load if it doesn't cancel, 28 bunks, 26 spots open
seaforth said they need 10 to go...

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 9.44.14 AM.png

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat
None
It's fishing but conditions are ideal:
New Moon Waxing Crescent 2% Illumination 10.10.2018
Swells a bit up at 6' but averaging 16 second intervals so easily fishable
Light winds 2-4 mph
7PM Departure. Lotsa time in the Bite Zone
Cows are scattered for now but big numbers of 50-90#ers are concentrated and here to play. Good shot at limits on a lite load with the normal longshot at a trophy. Aztec just reported 29 BFT and 2 were cows/moose.
I'd be on this boat in a heartbeat if I were able...

Reactions: geebee

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Old Thunderbird Captain, only heard good things...
I'd jump on it if I was able. Landlocked for another week :(
So, that's funny, calling Andrew old. ;) Fished with him several years on the Angler. The Avatar picture is from a June 8 day, back in 2013. Both he and Taro were still on the crew. Lots of memories with those guys.

Reactions: ironmike

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
In writing 'old' I think he meant 'previous'.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
went on the prowler big bluefin 1.5 day trip, 9 spots empty, fished thursday off San Clemente Island, small sardines, good crew, no boat problems

a few fish boated early - pretty much dead after that until sunset - that's when flat falls kicked in - we stopped on a lot of deep metered fish could't get then to bite - the largest size mentioned was the capt said a school of 40-80 was deep around the boat

oddly i couldn't find the prowler fish reports anywhere online

bluefin landed include a few 40-70lb - and a mixture of 8-12 pounders

LINE ALERT (if you want to get bit on the flyline):
  • short answer - bring your 20-25lb rigs (many hookups on 20-25 pound but also a lot of lost fish on the light line)
  • also bring #4 hooks for the small bait
the crew recommended 20-25-30lb on flyline

however, i got zero bites fishing sardine on 30lb line and a few mackerel - i didn't want to risk hooking up on a 60lbs-plus tuna so i stayed with 30lb (and left my 20-25lb rigs at home)

FLAT FALLS

a lot on glow flat fall bites - including my two small BF tuna - i switched to an 80lb rig for flatfalls

BREAKFAST

Breakfast.jpg

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Tell us that's not a piece of fish on the breakfast plate.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
An over cooked one at that barf
that's bluefin i caught yesterday

i baked it in an oven set to 350 with only a little butter and lemon juice

i used an internal probe thermometer set to alarm at 125 degrees - you stick probe in the meat and an alarm sounds when it hits your set degrees

i don't believe 125 internal overcooks tuna and it was not dry or chewy at all, but that's what i read is the optimal temp for tuna

if anyone is interested in not ever again over cooking fish or steaks

thermoworks-com this "Dot" is the one i used and it never misses...

dot.jpg

Reactions: la vida

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
that's bluefin i caught yesterday

i baked it in an oven set to 350 with only a little butter and lemon juice

i used an internal probe thermometer set to alarm at 125 degrees - you stick probe in the meat and an alarm sounds when it hits your set degrees

i don't believe 125 internal overcooks tuna and it was not dry or chewy at all, but that's what i read is the optimal temp for tuna

if anyone is interested in not ever again over cooking fish or steaks

View attachment 970955
If you feel the need to cook it ,try it seared and rare to medium just like steak. To each his own I guess.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
2 things totally unrelated to the report (which I appreciated):

1) when you cook something to an internal temp, the temp rises past that temp after you remove it from heat, so hitting your finished internal temp means taking it out before it hits that temp.

2) When I overcook tuna, i turn it into tuna salad or tuna melt and its great!

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
...i turn it into tuna salad or tuna melt and its great!

my vote tuna salad
- light on the mayo, chop celery, onions, sweet pickles - mix - add to cheese, lettuce and bread

i'm really looking forward to making tuna sandwiches - my favorite - since i recently learned here on BD that subway tuna sandwiches use light tuna (aka skipjack)

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
So, that's funny, calling Andrew old. ;) Fished with him several years on the Angler. The Avatar picture is from a June 8 day, back in 2013. Both he and Taro were still on the crew. Lots of memories with those guys.
Good man that Taro, fished with him and Ray and the owners Brian and Sam for years. They trained their crew right!!

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
that's bluefin i caught yesterday ... if anyone is interested in not ever again over cooking fish or steaks

View attachment 970955
another shot of my fish cooking method
the probe tip inserts into the thickest part of the meat
the probe goes right into the oven and bakes with the meat
the alarm temp is set on the Thermoworks Dot (cost $43)
when the temp is reached the alarm goes off

great for turkey, chicken, beef, fish or anything else you cook
there is a temperature guide included with the unit
i have another digital ThermoPop probe to confirm my internal temp

since using this method my meat is always what i dial in - no surprises - can you imagine using a probe/alarm cooking your turkey, you only think about it when the alarm goes off (and the Dot always displays the current temperature as it counts up to your temperature setting)

it was pointed out earlier that the center temp will rise a bit (continue cooking) after the meat is removed from the oven or grill - as the internal heat evens out - this is predictable with minimal experience and covered in the owners manual to tune your approach

note: i can't cook fancy at all - just some garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice and butter

i would recommend buying it off their website - thermoworks-com - you get it super fast and have direct warranty support

SO HERE'S TO NEVER HAVING TO STRESS ABOUT OVER OR UNDERCOOKING YOUR MEAT AGAIN - and not having to pick at it, poke it or cut it to see how it's doing

Probe.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kbray001

125mph

Dec 16, 2011
SAN DIEGO
Name
Tony
Boat
N/A
I see the 1.5d big bluefin trips leave at around 7pm and get home in the morning the following day. Does that mean you start fishing when you wake up, and then you fish at night till around midnight, then boat takes off home?

How about the 1.75d trips? I see they leave during the day, around 11am.. So I assume that means you arrive at night and start flat falls till you're tired, then sleep and then you still have the next day and night?

JoshInSD

Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
Friend came home with this 271# yesterday off the Prowler, but it was one of 2 fish caught the entire trip (32 anglers). To him it was the best trip ever. To 30 others it wasn’t. How lucky do you feel?

1C3F63B0-A06E-4241-9FF3-5792427FE012.png