How is Grady White 216 in Santa Cruz chop/snot?

luckydude

Jan 22, 2018
santa cruz
Name
Larry McVoy
Boat
Considering Triumphs and similar
Hi,

Relative newbie here, own a triumph that is a money pit (nice boat when they work). Considering buying a Grady White Fisherman 216 CC but my dealer only stocks one walk around. So they want me to plunk down over $100K without knowing the hull in our waters. Locals know that it turns choppy in the afternoon and it can get yucky out there if you did a long run down to Big Sur.

Are there any sea-v2 hull owners in the 21.5' size in Northern or Central California? I'm trying to figure out if that hull works in our waters. I go to youtube and search for Grady White rough seas and it's all east coast and they call it rough but it looks pretty minor to me, maybe 2 foot chop. Grady claims all sorts of wonderfulness about their hull but is that true in our waters?

Thanks very much for any help.

Reactions: repo805

OnoEric

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
Not quite the same, since my boat is a foot shorter, and this was south of Point Conception, but it is a Sea-V2. We got stuck out in a small craft advisory once, 8-10 foot seas at 8 seconds and 20-25 knots of wind. The boat handled it quite well. We never felt unsafe, even though we were occasionally taking green water over the bow. It shed water and handled the seas like a champ. After that day, I knew the boat could handle a lot more than I am willing to handle. I think a Grady would do well in the Northern California seas.

T.Bui

Mouth breather
Feb 21, 2012
Castro Valley
Name
Bui
Boat
Warfighter
My buddy has a mid-2000's 228 and it rides fine in our waters. There are a quite a few GW's up here. I've ridden on 208's and 228's in Monterey Bay, HMB, out the Gate, and offshore for albacore without any issues.

InDeepShip

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2017
Ventura/Vallejo
Name
Adam
Boat
In My Dreams
Just pick your days right and you will be fine. Ive charged it on a 16ft whaler a few times and seen guys do it on smaller boats. Make sure the weather is right and if you have any feeling of it changing when your out dont second guess your self and go back in.