Saltwater How far north do squid go?

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Squid are caught at least as far north as Juneau. In recent years, their numbers seem to be increasing. A few charter boats fish them in Juneau and Petersburg.

Reactions: liltrouble

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    I have heard some credible reports of squidding in the Juans but have yet to try it myself.

Reactions: JohnVH

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
    ShillCreek, WA USA
    Name
    Shari
    Boat
    Mr. Buttercup
    There are guys who take their own lights out of Oak Harbor and do very well. Go to the diving forums and it is amazing the number of squid pictures they post this time of year. Divers like playing with them, well they are kind of fun. They are very curious and that whole thing with the light...

Benj2853

Quotakiller
    Mar 1, 2017
    Whidbey Island
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    16' Wellcraft center console
    A few years ago I gave it a consistent effort at Langley Marina on a series of high tides at the same time they were in at Edmonds. Never saw or caught one.

TonyG

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Nov 19, 2010
    Snohomish, WA
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    We have found squid this year anywhere between edmonds and mukilteo and also on possession bar everywhere. Easy to catch anywhere. Figure out what they look like on your electronics. They are everywhere you look. Mostly we find them in 40-80' but also see them deeper. Do not have experience north of mukilteo.

20201121_134536.jpg

Tish

Almost A Member
    Jun 27, 2019
    Shoreline WA
    Name
    Grant
    Boat
    1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
    +1 to TonyG, I have had great success cruising around until I find them just like you would with a bait ball when targeting salmon. Depending on the size of the school you may spend a lot of time working the boat to stay on top of them, but if you've got them under the boat it is lights out. My 7 year old and I filled the boat the day before Thanksgiving, took us about an hour once we found them.

PXL_20201123_214558970.jpg

karlk1125

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 20, 2008
    Bodega Bay
    Name
    Karl Kobler
    Boat
    2008 World Cat 320 EC twin Mercury v8 300 Verado “Freedom”
    Found the video of squid and salmon up on Vancouver Island - looks like a lot of fun!

That's exactly how I fish squid spawns in NorCal...I've caught seabass to 60# anchoring on the spawn. So much fucking fun! Can't believe there's that huge of a bio mass of squid that far north.

Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 30, 2011
    Stauffer
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    MUGWUMP
    The squid don't like fresh water much. The Skagit, Stilly, and Snohomish puke too much muddy water after a good rain and it pushes the squid away. Down on the Edmonds Pier once high slack is over the timer starts. When the muddy brown water pushes down from up north its over until the next incoming.

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
    Jul 27, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Name
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat
    255 conquest... needs a name
    Saw a cool video recently about folks catching squid up on Vancouver Island and then using them for Salmon bait. So they get up that high for sure!
    Saw that too.. on the bucket list to try if we come across a school for sure! Will always have squid jigs on the boat nearshore salmon fishing in the future.

Emz

someone check my bait while I go....
  • Mar 13, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Defiance 250 (Doris Ann), Wellcraft 26 (Doug Out) Whaler 16 SL (Bull Pen) Livingston 8 (Short Stop)
    Saw a report on FB page. Washington squid fishing. A regular posted easy limits. Day squidding in 50 fow. Location tag would be real close to the Boeing pier between Mukilteo and Everett. Report was dated Thursday am 12/10.

FB_IMG_1607652821387.jpg

Reactions: Genie Aye