How far down south are those yellowfin?

westcoasttuna

May 13, 2011
las vegas,nv us
Name
Charles
Boat
charter boats
Anyone been on a trip that scored yellowfin recently, im wondering how far south they still are? Im going on a 3day on the Searcher on Sept 6th and am hoping for a little yellowfiin action just in case we dont get a shot at those bluefin.

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat
"MoorZilla"
I don't know...............

But after that tropical storm breezes by Cabo and heads up the Baja Pacific coast line them YFT's are going to be a heck of a lot closer next week than they are this week ;) .

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Unfortunately, that that tropical storm TD 9 is only 40 knots and heading towards cooler water. We may not even get any swell from it. Probably will not benefit us with the YFT.

MDC

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 9, 2008
San Marcos/CA/USA
Name
Mark
Boat
none
Unfortunately, that that tropical storm TD 9 is only 40 knots and heading towards cooler water. We may not even get any swell from it. Probably will not benefit us with the YFT.
It's not even a tropical storm yet. Right now it is just a tropical depression. Hence, the TD in front of the 9. I am going to be a bit more optimistic and hope it does push something up.

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Just got back from a 6 day yesterday and after fishing Bluefin the first day we got into a ripper yellowfin bite at 220 miles on the second day. Boated about 300 good grade YFT averaging 25lbs each on a 7 hour drift. I had fun throwing the skip jig off the bow and watching them blow up on the 7X.

Very good chance you will see this fish on your 3 day.

Here is a pic of my son with one of the many he landed that day...

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Just saw this report from the Polaris Supreme on today's YFT action. Sounds very similar to what we saw...

We kicked the you know what out of the yellowfin today. We engaged in battle and we won. We started our drift at 6:30 this morning and drove away from them biting at lunch. The fish were from 22-35 pounds and were snapping. I don't think I've seen that good of fishing on that good of a grade since the albacore days. Hopefully this lasts for some time to come. The weather was great today but the further north we go now the more choppy it's getting. Just in time for dinner.

BurningHeart

Wayward Son
Oct 12, 2010
Bakersfield
Name
Joel
Boat
N/A....I wish
....Right now it is just a tropical depression. I am going to be a bit more optimistic and hope it does push something up.
Its kind of hard to be optimistic when its tropical depression...:D

Ready4TheYellow

The Fishing Guru
Mar 15, 2006
Lomita
Name
Steve
Boat
The Fishing SHO
Heading to San Diego at Noon. 4 Day tomorrow. Can't wait I heard there is a huge school of 25 - 40# YFT at 250 miles.

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Hey Tim is that Cory in the Pic?

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
The fish are stacked up on a 2 1/2 degree temperature break down there. Once that temp break dissipates a la tropical storms coming up the Baja coast the gates will open and they will come charging up the line. Could be an epic September and October...

westcoasttuna

May 13, 2011
las vegas,nv us
Name
Charles
Boat
charter boats
Just got back from a 6 day yesterday and after fishing Bluefin the first day we got into a ripper yellowfin bite at 220 miles on the second day. Boated about 300 good grade YFT averaging 25lbs each on a 7 hour drift. I had fun throwing the skip jig off the bow and watching them blow up on the 7X.

Very good chance you will see this fish on your 3 day.

Here is a pic of my son with one of the many he landed that day...
Nice man, those are some nice fish and a hell of a lot of them, if they only bite half that good when im out there i'll be happy.

ApneaAddict

Jul 6, 2006
San Diego
Name
Boat
-
How's it look for a run to the yellowfin in light of TS Ivo coming up the line? Are guys still planning to make the run? I'm supposed to be headed down to Cedros, fishing the tuna along the way, on a private boat (42 ft) Saturday through Friday, but we're watching the forecast and wondering if it's a wise course of action.

HBTRANSPLANT

fISH fINDER
Jul 12, 2012
huntington beach
Name
craig
Boat
Many, but are none are mine
The fish are stacked up on a 2 1/2 degree temperature break down there. Once that temp break dissipates a la tropical storms coming up the Baja coast the gates will open and they will come charging up the line. Could be an epic September and October...

Im counting on it as i still have a 2.5 on the 21st of Sept and maybe add in another 1.5 in October . But the 2.5 is a lock and load. I have been very lucky as far as my fish counts have gone this year, but it has not been from taking breaks in the galley and bunking down.
Epic catch you guys had, EPIC !!

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
Jan 26, 2008
Torrance
Name
Jerr
Boat
shit talking
Patience there, once that so called tropical storm pushes up the water

and they will come along with it. Well that is what Iam guessing

free_gaff

Jul 18, 2003
N. Cal
Visit site
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
any LR
so Tim...is he now ready for a nine day ;)...how did you like the Intrepid? Gonna take Tom for 9 next year...either the Catchy, or the PS trip...depends on his schedule. Looks like you guys did very well for yourselves.

Bendo28

Jan 29, 2009
Rancho Santa Margarita/CA/USA
Name
Ben
Boat
NA
Given the drastic decline in the BF counts I wonder if the 2.5 day boats will try to make a run to the YF grounds. Hope they are in range soon because 5 lb YT doesn't sound too exciting.

DITCH CLEANER

Oct 22, 2006
riverside ca
Name
steve
Boat
party
Some of the guys are saying the 5 plus day trips are fishing yellowfin below 200 miles that is just too far for 2 1/2 day trips right now. I hope you have a week or more before your trip. But I agree fishing rats wont be as fun. Might want to consider trying to work on your casting or yo yo for whatever is below the patties and if all that fails I bet the beer is cold, catch a buzz.:hali_olutta:

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
It is Mike. He is young man now and just slayed the fish. Check out the damage he did....
WOW, what a fish killer. . . . and a fine young man he has turned out to be.. . . . shit we are gettin old brother. Nice to see you both got out together. Great pics Brother Tim!!