HOW DSC WORKS ON YOUR VHF RADIO

Discussion in 'Boat Electronics' started by Tower Todd, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Lovin life

Name:
    Bart
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack "Lucky Dog"
    I was on patrol with the Coast Guard auxiliary last fall when a DSC alert went off from someone's radio. It will scare the crap out if the first time you hear it. He was not hooked up to a GPS device, so we had no idea where the distress was coming from. Turns out. we were in mission Bay and someone had fallen off a boat in S.D. bay. The Auxiliary usually has a booth at both Fred Hall shows with a display on how to hook up radio and GPS

2. Mike Rudovsky

Mike Rudovsky Newbie

Name:
    Mike Rudovsky
    Boat:
    27' Farallon
    Yes each radio has to have it own MMSI number

3. Jim_Arndt

Jim_Arndt Newbie

Name:
    Jim Arndt
    Boat:
    17' center console
    No, the mmsi numbet is assigned to the boat, not a radio. Each fixed mount radio mounted in the same boat should use the same mmsi.

If you have a fixed mount and handheld dsc radio, the handheld can be assigned the same or a unique mmsi, there are pluses and minuses to each approach. If you take your handheld with you on many other boats, maybe a unique mmsi would be best. However if you have a large group of friends/boats that call you routinely via a dsc call to your boats mmsi, you won't get the message if your handheld has a unique mmsi.

Lots to consider, good thing at least with Standard Horizon, it is getting easier to change the mmsi assigned to your radio.

4. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    I just purchased the GX1700 with internal GPS. My previous radio did not have the internal feature. I hooked my separate GPS to the 1700 (just followed previous wiring) and after reading the manual noticed I may not have had to do it that way. It stated to turn off the internal GPS if hooked up to a separate one. The way I took it is either leave it hooked up and turn the internal GPS off or cut the connection and leave that feature on, is that correct?

5. Jim_Arndt

Jim_Arndt Newbie

Name:
    Jim Arndt
    Boat:
    17' center console
    Yep, I recommend to cut the connection and turn on the internal gps of the 1700, that way the 1700 is not dependent on your external gps to be turned on to get a position.

If your external gps is a chartplotter, hook the output leads from the 1700 to the Chartplotter, then for any dsc position reports/requests or distress calls you receive, they will also display on your chart plotter.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    r8rs4lf likes this.
  6. apogee

apogee My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    The long and the short of it...No matter what equipment you buy, make sure it is NMEA 2000 plug and play....There, I have just saved you tons of work....
    All NMEA's are not created equal. For all you guys out there that want to connect your radio to your Multi Function Displays (MFD), NMEA 0813 has a bunch of tiny little wires that have to tied down to a terminal block and then the other devices wires have to be placed into the terminal block and this is not necessarily color to color. The information on a NMEA 0813 connection will supply the sentence structure to provide cross talk to your electronics. NMEA 2000 don't need no stinking terminal block. Just plug it into a "T" connector added to the spine, provide power if needed, and your done. I had two S/H GX2200's, I like the back up built in GPS. All of my other electronics are NMEA 2000, so I yanked one of the GX2200's and replaced it with a ICOM M605 VHF that is NMEA 2000. Plugged it into the spline, programmed my MMSI # 338239735 into the new radio, just like the other S/H GX2200 I kept on the boat, and viola.. I turn on my MFD's and there is everybody. DSC ready but I can see the AIS. Problem is they cannot see me, soooooooooo I opt for the new 5watt output Class B AIS transceiver with an antenna splitter that is also NMEA 2000. I just plug it in, provide power after it was programed with my MSSI# by the seller ala Homeland Security rules, and now I can be seen on AIS plus my DSC is fully operational....That was the long of it......Ap

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  7. flyinverted

flyinverted Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Trojan F32
    One thing to remember, DSC is NOT ONLY FOR EMGERGENCIES.

All DSC radios are always listening on Ch70, the DSC channel.
    I use mine to call my buddy by saving his MMSI# in my radio's phone book.
    When I call him using DSC, my radio asks which channel to switch to once connected. When I push the call button (NOT the EMERG) button, it calls his radio and when he keys his Mic, it will auto switch to the channel I selected.

Gone are the days of "Grey Goose, Grey Goose pick me up"
    Just push the button and wait for a response.

sickcat likes this.
  8. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    Alright, I have a ICOM IC-M330 fixed mount radio, GPS enabled. I am trying to assure the distress button sends the GPS coordinates when activated. There is a test call mode, but I believe this only tests the DSC. I need to get a friend's MMSI # to check this aspect. Does the (Red) distress button connect with the rescue 21 USCG system when activated? How can I test this? I have a MMSI # for the USCG of 003669999, do I need to manually enter this for the future? Thanks, just need to be sure I have my stuff wired tight if it is needed. Much better to be a 10%er who has it working. Thanks!

9. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    Hello, I as well have been concerned about making sure my distress button on my GPS enabled radio (IC-3000G), with a properly entered MMSI # works. After much research, and trips to the coast guard in San Diego to talk, (unsuccessfully) I was able to figure it out. I spoke to them by phone, and tried an Individual/ direct DSC (Routine) call to them, using the MMSI for them of 003669999. (San Diego, I think) When I spoke with them at 619 278-7031, I was instructed to enter the MMSI number, call them, and try transmitting with them on the phone. They will see if the link worked, and transmitted the GPS too. They were very nice about doing this. He said they do normally not respond for 2 minutes, (if distress & all ships alerted) to allow nearby ships to respond. They do not acknowledge individual/direct (routine) calls normally, even if they receive them. Calling this # and confirming this should allow one to assure the radio is transmitting GPS coordinates with a DSC call, although it does not assure the DISTRESS button does the same. Anyone have ideas on how to make sure the red button works? Hope this helps-

10. apogee

apogee My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    I have it x 2 and AIS......Ap