geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
Curious how the 2019 tuna fishing in local San Diego inshore offshore compares in your memory with past years?

i came back to fishing in 2015 (after a 15 year break) and only get out on 1.5 day boats about 4-5 times a season - before 2000, i remember fishing BF YF tuna and albacore with mono 15lb max and 4 size hooks with anchovies, a 40# bluefin was a real prize and a 200lb bluefin off Coronado Islands was nearly unbelievable

This year late November 2019 the new lo-an puts three big bluefin over 300 pounds on the boat in one local trip, and I dare say 50-60# bf were common in 2018 and 2019

two of my trips this fall were "epic" in every sense of the word

Azetc June 15: 9-hour drift on solid pick bite of 80# class bluefin (biting 50-60lb fluoro leader no problem most of the time). I landed two BF and lost one to chew-off after more than an hour on 60lb Seaguar)

Ocean Odyssey Nov 9: Limits of yellowfin (10 fish 20-45lb class) by 9:30 am on wide open bite, biting heavy line no problem, then we moved and i hooked up on three 70lb class bluefin bite on heavy line (one sawed off, one FG knot failure)

My 1.5 day trip on The New Lo-An on December 5 signaled the end of the 2019 tuna fishing season, the tuna were nowhere they've been just a few days prior

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sdchronix

Kook Style
Jul 26, 2018
San diego
Name
Anthony C.
Boat
Hooked Up Boat Club - Parker 2320
I have nothing to compare to as I just started last season but only had 1 or 2 trips then. This season was amazing! Caught my first bft ever (70lbs) and another smaller second one. Put my buddy's on fish and had several trips that were just incredibly wide open amazing days on the water. Can't wait to see what next season has in store, hoping it's just as good or better!

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
I’ve been able to go out and find a limit of BFT each month this year in local waters and find limits of of yellowfin since May. I first started fishing and pin heading cattle boats in 2008 (as a competent fisherman (situationally aware to precise) I might add) and I’ve only seen the quality of offshore fishing increase. Now as someone who works the cattle boats the quality fishing continues to improve. The inshore bite for bass was decent at best this year but otherwise it was an outstanding season.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbray001
Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
...the 2015 El Nino...

I forgot about El Niño, but explains what got me off my butt and back on the water in 2015 - still the 50lb plus tuna biting on heavy line 2018 and 2019 are memorable...

Upvote 0