Irishman

Irishman
  • Jul 20, 2004
    La Mesa
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    n/a
    Trying to understand the dynamics of this and how to best fight a fish when it happens. My last tangle with a bluefin ended after a nearly two hour fight where we lost the fish at the last minute and skipper on the boat said it was tail wrapped. The fish inhales the bait and when taking off tangles it’s tail in the line?

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2004
    Pulaski, TN (look it up)
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    If you look at a tuna especially after it is boated, you will see lines along its body where you fishing line was scraping... it isn't hard to understand how this happens... that fish wants to go anywhere but toward you... slack happens when the fish turns toward you but they will again turn...

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother... I have purposely used "tail wrapping" to beat big YFT in a hurry. When they get "dragged" backwards.... they literally drown. Was taught many years ago by 5 foot tall Jimmy Lew.... Big Tuna God of yesteryear.

Easier on surface "running" tuna... doing this lasso's the tuna tail. During a straight line surface run.... back off the drag by 50%... and with the rod tip pointed directly towards the fleeing fish......start doing large circles with the rod tip. ( 6' - 8' circles).... big ones. Do about 20..... while maintaining a light yet consistant drag.

Picture in your mind.... whats happening out there... as the tuna "b-lines" directly away from you.... while making those LARGE circles. The line will wrap the tail.... upon their "inevitable" turn.... in any direction..... even back towards you. I will only do this.... for short 30 second bursts... maybe 2 or 3 times in the fight... when circumstances present themselves. So rather than "crying"... learn to use it to your advantage!

Does it work.... 257# in 13 minutes. 227# in 7 minutes. 291# 17 minutes. All on 1 trip!! Practiced.... and done properly.. its an old guys technique.... used to kick BIG FISH butt. TRY IT BROTHER.... "purposely".... if you can master this technique and use it in your "bag of tricks".... you'll be way ahead of the other anglers for sure. Many more "OLD DUDE" slick "Tricks" coming soooon! Lol. Be safe out there.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Brother... I have purposely used "tail wrapping" to beat big YFT in a hurry. When they get "dragged" backwards.... they literally drown. Was taught many years ago by 5 foot tall Jimmy Lew.... Big Tuna God of yesteryear.

Easier on surface "running" tuna... doing this lasso's the tuna tail. During a straight line surface run.... back off the drag by 50%... and with the rod tip pointed directly towards the fleeing fish......start doing large circles with the rod tip. ( 6' - 8' circles).... big ones. Do about 20..... while maintaining a light yet consistant drag.

Picture in your mind.... whats happening out there... as the tuna "b-lines" directly away from you.... while making those LARGE circles. The line will wrap the tail.... upon their "inevitable" turn.... in any direction..... even back towards you. I will only do this.... for short 30 second bursts... maybe 2 or 3 times in the fight... when circumstances present themselves. So rather than "crying"... learn to use it to your advantage!

Does it work.... 257# in 13 minutes. 227# in 7 minutes. 291# 17 minutes. All on 1 trip!! Practiced.... and done properly.. its an old guys technique.... used to kick BIG FISH butt. TRY IT BROTHER.... "purposely".... if you can master this technique and use it in your "bag of tricks".... you'll be way ahead of the other anglers for sure. Many more "OLD DUDE" slick "Tricks" coming soooon! Lol. Be safe out there.
    Me Too...sometimes Bad is Good.
    Or Ugly-long fight tail wrapped. LOL

Reactions: woodfish330

David Brewer

Jan 10, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Brewer
    Boat
    none

Although not nearly as impressive as your numbers above, in 2010 on the Intrepid, I was dropping a Tady 15 at Clarion. After one short run, the fish got tail wrapped. #226 in 12 minutes. Panama Joe and I were the only ones on deck besides Kevin O. at 4am.

W
    woodfish330
    .....laughing... been there brother. On one RP trip to the RG.... at Clarion... night fishing by myself.... with ROSS on deck.... we had a "flurry" of 3 AM bites.... on the 3 "chunk" rods and a "deep drop" swordie squid rig I had out. 4 rods.... and ME. Needless to say.... in 4 or 5 minutes ALL rods were hooked up.... with only 2 of us fighting fish. PANDIMONIUM for sure. We got 3 out of 4. Smallest 117# YFT.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0