mochosla

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 12, 2007
Granada Hills CA.
Name
Carlos
Boat
2000 21' WA Striper
Hi guys. We’ve been doing good this season so far. I usually roll up the tails and put them in a vacuum sealed bag. They sometimes poke the bags and have to redo it. How do you guys keep your lobsters in the freezer?

TheMan90241

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 28, 2012
Downey/CA/Los Angeles
Name
Terry
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2301 W/A
Of course, I never keep more than seven in my possession at any time... But if I were to freeze my catch (whole as the law requires) I would suggest taking a pair of standard pliers and breaking off the tail spines as close to the body as possible. That will prevent punctures in the bag. So I'm told.

sdjfish

Deck Ape
Mar 26, 2003
escondido
Visit site
Name
steve
Boat
2320 Parker, Tracker
The bug is in a hermitically sealed package as is. If you have enough freezer space put them in alive, after 20 min's or so they will be asleep and you can fold them up in a ball. I try to keep mine completely whole, antenna legs and all.

Reactions: dagonative

Ggiannig8912

Well-Known "Member"
May 17, 2011
El Cajon
Name
Gianni
Boat
yellow rocket
If I don’t keep them whole, I’ll wrap the tail in paper towel and then wrap in some kind of plastic wrap. 2 tails laying on top of each other site nicely.

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
Garden Grove
Name
Chris
Boat
24, Angler, All-In
Like Ggiannig said put 2 tails back to back or lay the spikes on 2 layer paper towel.

NaClAddict

Jul 18, 2008
torrance
Name
Greg
Boat
22 glasstron
You can also vacuum seal the tails on a cardboard or styrofoam tray. I don’t like clipping the spines, it lets the juice drain out. Mine do fine in a bowl in the chest freezer.

Reactions: Reefmo

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Go to Smart & Final or Food For Less and get some 6.5 X 8.5" Styrofoam Trays; fold up 2 paper towels to fit in the tray and set 2 tails spikes down on the paper towels then slide into a 1 gallon bag and vacuum seal. Rarely will the spikes go through the towels and styrofoam to create a leak

LOBSTER PACKAGING.jpg

DAS

Dec 23, 2017
San Diego
Name
DAS
Boat
El Segador
Take a Fiji water bottle, cut the top off drop the tail in and cover it with water, will last a couple of years

Reactions: kevina

MattFred1414

Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
In Florida where you can have a stockpile of lobster to last you through any apocalypse, I wrap them in plastic wrap then vacuum seal them. It’s always worked for me, but I also don’t usually freeze them for more than a week at a time.

ja73

Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16
The bug is in a hermitically sealed package as is. If you have enough freezer space put them in alive, after 20 min's or so they will be asleep and you can fold them up in a ball. I try to keep mine completely whole, antenna legs and all.
This is how I keep mine in my freezer locker, works great and they taste just as good a few weeks later. The only difference is I put them in those grocery bags you get form WalMart or Ralphs, they're thick and hold the lobsters well, plus I can write on them so I know what day I caught them.

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Take one bag fold it in half wrap it around the tail then in another bag pleated side down when vacuum sealing

307F6B53-5F53-472F-ACD8-E99634B3F62C.jpeg

AFBD382C-5C11-4450-90FA-4EB615D7A0C6.jpeg

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Gwendolyn
I don't keep them more than 24hrs. By then, I've started crapping my next meal for sure. I would say the winning response goes to RodRage.

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Found one from last season a couple weeks ago while defrosting my bait freezer and it was still fine.

ror_sal

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
Nov 6, 2011
San Diego
Name
Rory
Boat
fish and chicks
I’ve always just wrapped them in foil and they last a while.

dagonative

Catching fish is about opportunity meeting chance!
Jun 8, 2006
Tierrasanta
Name
Travis
Boat
Kingfish 2 Arca Panga 22'
On more idea, ditch the plastic as others have said. I take two paper towels, lay just the top of tail with exposed meat in the towel and fold over tail and then fold it again so it holds tight, I keep tail damp and this keeps paper towel from coming off in freezer. I have used this method for a few years now and tails last 6-12 months no problem.

Reactions: RodRage

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
To get them home I throw them in a 5 gal bucket. Once I get them home I usually take a heavy duty trash bag and wrap them, then put the individually wrapped ones in Stater Bros bags (their new bags are a lot thicker than the old ones btw). I've kept them for months and forgotten about them, only to have them taste like I'd just caught them, it's pretty hard to screw up storage unless you leave it sitting out in the sun or something.