How do you keep your lobster?

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
Granada Hills CA.
Name
Carlos
Boat
Parker 2120
Hi guys. We’ve been doing good this season so far. I usually roll up the tails and put them in a vacuum sealed bag. They sometimes poke the bags and have to redo it. How do you guys keep your lobsters in the freezer?

Upvote 0

sdjfish

Deck Ape
  • Mar 26, 2003
    escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    steve
    Boat
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    The bug is in a hermitically sealed package as is. If you have enough freezer space put them in alive, after 20 min's or so they will be asleep and you can fold them up in a ball. I try to keep mine completely whole, antenna legs and all.

Reactions: dagonative
    Upvote 0

Ggiannig8912

May 17, 2011
    El Cajon
    Name
    Gianni
    Boat
    yellow rocket
    If I don’t keep them whole, I’ll wrap the tail in paper towel and then wrap in some kind of plastic wrap. 2 tails laying on top of each other site nicely.

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    You can also vacuum seal the tails on a cardboard or styrofoam tray. I don’t like clipping the spines, it lets the juice drain out. Mine do fine in a bowl in the chest freezer.

Reactions: Reefmo
    Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Go to Smart & Final or Food For Less and get some 6.5 X 8.5" Styrofoam Trays; fold up 2 paper towels to fit in the tray and set 2 tails spikes down on the paper towels then slide into a 1 gallon bag and vacuum seal. Rarely will the spikes go through the towels and styrofoam to create a leak

LOBSTER PACKAGING.jpg

Upvote 0

DAS

Almost A Member
    Dec 23, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    DAS
    Boat
    El Segador
    Take a Fiji water bottle, cut the top off drop the tail in and cover it with water, will last a couple of years

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    In Florida where you can have a stockpile of lobster to last you through any apocalypse, I wrap them in plastic wrap then vacuum seal them. It’s always worked for me, but I also don’t usually freeze them for more than a week at a time.

Upvote 0

ja73

Almost A Member
    Sep 1, 2017
    SGV
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    Arima SC16
    The bug is in a hermitically sealed package as is. If you have enough freezer space put them in alive, after 20 min's or so they will be asleep and you can fold them up in a ball. I try to keep mine completely whole, antenna legs and all.

This is how I keep mine in my freezer locker, works great and they taste just as good a few weeks later. The only difference is I put them in those grocery bags you get form WalMart or Ralphs, they're thick and hold the lobsters well, plus I can write on them so I know what day I caught them.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Take one bag fold it in half wrap it around the tail then in another bag pleated side down when vacuum sealing

307F6B53-5F53-472F-ACD8-E99634B3F62C.jpeg

AFBD382C-5C11-4450-90FA-4EB615D7A0C6.jpeg

Upvote 0

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
    Aug 7, 2008
    Westminster, CA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
    I don't keep them more than 24hrs. By then, I've started crapping my next meal for sure. I would say the winning response goes to RodRage.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Found one from last season a couple weeks ago while defrosting my bait freezer and it was still fine.

Upvote 0

dagonative

Catching fish is about opportunity meeting chance!
    Jun 8, 2006
    Tierrasanta
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    Kingfish 2 Arca Panga 22'
    On more idea, ditch the plastic as others have said. I take two paper towels, lay just the top of tail with exposed meat in the towel and fold over tail and then fold it again so it holds tight, I keep tail damp and this keeps paper towel from coming off in freezer. I have used this method for a few years now and tails last 6-12 months no problem.

Reactions: RodRage
    Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    To get them home I throw them in a 5 gal bucket. Once I get them home I usually take a heavy duty trash bag and wrap them, then put the individually wrapped ones in Stater Bros bags (their new bags are a lot thicker than the old ones btw). I've kept them for months and forgotten about them, only to have them taste like I'd just caught them, it's pretty hard to screw up storage unless you leave it sitting out in the sun or something.

Upvote 0