kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    Hey BD I have a reaper a plan on fishing #40 with... if I wanted to wrap a lighter jigstick say #30 what do you recommend? There are quite a few options in the 9' length. Monster, Del Mar and wahoo in both US and CE and gp monster. I am having a gp 90 monster being wrapped but not sure where that will want to fish slightly heavier or lighter than the reaper?

What uc jigstick do you fish and what line class do you fish it? TIA

Reactions: Langosta

Mike D.

Dec 18, 2018
    Newport
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    Surfboard
    I fish a rce 900 monster for 30# light jigs from 1.5-2.5 oz.

and a rce 900 del mar for any jig that is heavier on 40# or 50#.

I've tried a reaper but think that GP's are too fast tapered for fishing jigs imo.

Upvote 0

Langosta

Almost A Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Long Beach, California
    Name
    Doloii
    Boat
    None
    I am having a guy wrap a 9E for me as write this, I had him take 10 inches off the butt. I plan to throw iron jigs like Salas 6X junior with it off of party boats around Catalina island, 30lbs mono. I have no idea how it will throw, it's my first UC rod.
    I am always wondering what is the deal with UC rods, people seem to either love or hate them. I myself was hesitant to use a graphite rod for throwing iron , so its an experiment for me also. I am figuring if it works for iron I am hoping it to preform like a lite jig stick, summer barracuda, bonito, etc. There is not much discussion about the UC 9E on the board yet so I am glad that you brought this thread up.

Reactions: kayakbeast33
    Upvote 0

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    I have the previous version of the 9E the reaper and I have had a chance to break it in it cast great you are going to enjoyit. I have 8 uc rods and love them all. Please report back on how the shorter 9E cast please.

Langosta

Almost A Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Long Beach, California
    Name
    Doloii
    Boat
    None
    I have the previous version of the 9E the reaper and I have had a chance to break it in it cast great you are going to enjoyit. I have 8 uc rods and love them all. Please report back on how the shorter 9E cast please.
    I will, I am not much for a 9 foot rod so it will be 8'2 total length, the rod wrapper warned me that by cutting so much off the butt that the rod would become more parabolic.
    But I am a Truline guy so that idea doesn't hurt my feelings at all.

Reactions: kayakbeast33
    Upvote 0