• Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    I use a Gamakatsu G-Box Slit Foam Case like this:
    View attachment 1235242

This case Benny displayed is actually designed for fly fishing, there are a lot of very nice and slim/small options like this at fly shops, worth a look at for options.

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    Thanks Benny
    So you don't have any issues with some of the hooks pointing the same direction?
    I suppose it is a matter of how they are put together....what assist cord is used etc.... Some of the sets I have are tied with a lighter white line and they seem to be prone to twisting etc.

Jeff
    I don't have issues with them pointing in the same direction. So long as they are assembled properly they will face each other.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Proteus;
    I am aware of our regs. Two hooks only for demersals.

I have some jigs that seem to attract fish best with a pair on one end. One example are the Tady slow pitch jigs which are I believe meant to have a pair on the bottom.

I have several dual assist hooks that are put together by different manufacturers. Some of them use a relatively light cord that can take a twist or set to it. When that happens I think it may have an adverse effect on the way the hooks are positioned. I am just guessing but it is probably why Sea Floor designed the box they offer. I know it is not needed to store single assists.

Jeff

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    One example are the Tady slow pitch jigs which are I believe meant to have a pair on the bottom.

You might be onto something there.

Although I still go top & bottom on my Tady/rector shape, that's my only jig that I can remember catching on the bottom hook. ALL my other jigs get bit at the top hook near the eye.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Tady has a new model that actually comes rigged with a pair on the bottom of the jig. I figure they have it rigged that way for a reason.
    It is similar in shape to the other jigs they make but is more compact and weighted very differently. It think it is around 130gr. I picked up a couple recently to try out on calicos and sand bass this winter.

Another couple of jigs I have noticed this on are the Nomad Buffalo jig and the Nomad Gypsea. Bottom hooks on the Buffalo....and top hooks on the Gypsea. This is interesting because they are not radically different shapes or looks. It has to be some small difference in the way they are weighted.
    Jeff

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    Another couple of jigs I have noticed this on are the Nomad Buffalo jig and the Nomad Gypsea. Bottom hooks on the Buffalo....and top hooks on the Gypsea. This is interesting because they are not radically different shapes or looks. It has to be some small difference in the way they are weighted.
    Jeff

You give manufacturers too much credit.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    You give manufacturers too much credit.
    That is possible. And I could be imagining things :food-smil

I have several of these Nomad jigs in different sizes and have probably done most of my hook placement experimentation using them. With the buffalo jig in the 180 to 300gr weights it definitely worked best with a pair on the bottom. With the gypsea in the 200gr to 300gr size it seemed to be closer between a pair on the top and a single on each end. Of course this is based on just a few hours of me playing around with these two jigs.

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    Agree on giving manufacturers credit, it's more about the shape and what that shape does. They're all variations & knockoffs of the original concept, even the Japanese have been copying each other before SPJ ever made it over here.

.......:rolleyes: which gives me an idea for another thread.......

Last edited:
    Reactions: Explorer1
    Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Oregon
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    16 " Duckworth
    I did because of the pandemic lockdown, nothing better to do for almost a year. Wants to learn/try “Serve and coated” style but don’t want to invest in a FlyTying Vise. If the lockdown extent again maybe I will:oops:
    What material is that you served them with? Looks sharp. I make my own, but am always interested in other ways to skin the cat. Thanks.

Reactions: Explorer1
    Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Oregon
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    16 " Duckworth
    Thanks for all the replies, and the rollup Benny showed looks pretty awesome, but I think the Jig bag/case is going to fit my needs best. Anybody have any experience with either of these?

Shimano butterfly case:

uOD7s6k.jpg

Shout jig bag:

aS4UpLK.jpg
    I bring two of these above pictures Shimano bags stuffed full on board on my trips. Mesh allows for rinsing after use, then setting in the sun until dry. I believe the ability to rinse and dry is essential in inhibiting rusting and dulling of hooks vs storing in a plastic box or zip lock bag contraption. I do not like having all my jigs set up with hooks for a variety of reasons. Safety is the first, as these bags can allow the assist hooks to leak out the side at times and they can stick on the fabric. I also NEVER use hooks on the tail end of the jig as I'm 90% /10% speed jigging to SP jigging. I also have numerous rods on board (sometimes up to 10) , lighter rods will have a 4/0 hook setup for smaller jigs, medium rods will have 5/0 or 6/0, and the heaviest rod for the biggest/heaviest jigs will have a 7/0 hook setup, and I'll use split ring pliers to change jigs - it's faster than cutting and re-tying line and losing 3-6 inches of fluoro per change out of lure. Having and using quality split ring pliers is a no-brainer for my environment. Benny's bag from Brazil looks like it has a ton of real estate for jigs, but for local availability I recommend the Shimano. YMMV. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Exodus

• Jun 20, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Damon's 26' Shamrock..."Solito"
    Could any of you who have the Shimano Butterfly Jig bag provide the closed up dimensions? I'm looking for a compact way to store my jigs. I'm liking the roll that benwah22 posted early on in this thread too. Pretty much zero options at any of the shops in San Diego.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0