How do you carry your slow pitch jigs?

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
It looks like Mustad makes a real nice bag for SPJ. I have not been able to find a USA retailer that has them in stock though.
Some day things might change here........for now all the stuff I really want is more difficult to get than it should be.
Jeff

Reactions: Proteus
Upvote 0

Explorer1

Almost A Member
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
It looks like Mustad makes a real nice bag for SPJ. I have not been able to find a USA retailer that has them in stock though.
Some day things might change here........for now all the stuff I really want is more difficult to get than it should be.
Jeff

Thought I was the only one that couldn’t find what I like/want on home soil ...... Canada is harder to find products than the USA. Got most my saltwater gear from Asia beside some DaiwaBoatBraid and Sunline FC100 leader. Good thing they allow two checkin bag now when we fly Asia LOL

Upvote 0

streetnfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 7, 2009
south pasadena
Name
Ray
Boat
Float tube
Here are a couple of bags and what they will fit:
Here are some Jig sizes for reference. (5"-8")
20201207_125636.jpg

Here is a Mustad Folder. I recieved this from Anglers Choice Tackle (San Diego) in August. It folds in half and has compartments on inside/outside of each half (4 sections total). 3 of the sections will not fit long jigs but there is a 4the compartment where they will fit.
20201207_131500.jpg
20201207_131441.jpg
20201207_134517.jpg
20201207_134758.jpg
The 4th compartment has a velcro section which make 2 pockets that I believe were intended for split rings and hooks. You can fit long jigs in there but they would be in a group and not spaced apart like in the other divided sections.
20201207_134947.jpg

Next is a Jig Roll from Johnny's Jigs which has less compartments, but will carry your longer jigs. It also rolls up taking up less space.
20201207_131334.jpg
20201207_131347.jpg
20201207_130801.jpg

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    Here are a couple of bags and what they will fit:
    Here are some Jig sizes for reference. (5"-8")View attachment 1231998

Here is a Mustad Folder. I recieved this from Anglers Choice Tackle (San Diego) in August. It folds in half and has compartments on inside/outside of each half (4 sections total). 3 of the sections will not fit long jigs but there is a 4the compartment where they will fit. View attachment 1231999View attachment 1232000View attachment 1232004View attachment 1232005The 4th compartment has a velcro section which make 2 pockets that I believe were intended for split rings and hooks. You can fit long jigs in there but they would be in a group and not spaced apart like in the other divided sections.View attachment 1232006

Next is a Jig Roll from Johnny's Jigs which has less compartments, but will carry your longer jigs. It also rolls up taking up less space.View attachment 1232009View attachment 1232010View attachment 1232012

Thx for the details, I actually just ordered the large Mustad bag, looked like good quality & capacity.

Reactions: Explorer1
    Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat
    Wish I Had One
    I've been doing this for a few seasons and I still can't stand messing with them out on the water, but it's also a situational thing. I'm not a private boater and the trip out to the fishing grounds on the party boats is rarely more than hour or so, not a lot of time for that cause the captains like to get limits and back in, so doing the pliers thing with each jig change doesn't work. Gotta be fast. In NorCal & the Bay area party boat anglers are a lot of the time rigged up before they even get on the boat.

I can see it for folks that have their own vessel or on a multi day trip that have the time for it, but it's gonna be a high hurdle for me I think.

I'm so much a DIY person that I came up with a quick/cheap/easy solution.

BcJJhyM.jpg

Holds up to 18 jigs, cost $12. in materials, 20 mins labor. It'll do for now.
    Where do you obtain the materials?

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    Where do you obtain the materials?

Obtaining the gear for SPJ is probably the biggest challenge right now, there's no golden ticket. Web search "slow pitch jigging" and you will find the few USA sources, or go to the "Japanese angler secrets" website for detailed info on what materials you need.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    I picked up a small Goture jig bag on Amazon. Seems like it's pretty well made. Holds a little over 20 jigs. I will field test and let you guys know.
    Jeff

Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Kzaam
    Boat
    Jasmine
    I use Plano boxes. Most of my trips are 1-3 days so I try to manage my tackle carefully. I used to bring a TON of jigs but over time, seeing what has worked repeatedly has made it easier for me to simplify things considerably and have enough with me to cover all depths and styles of retrieves.

I am not a fan of opening those owner hyper wire split rings too often. I think they’re great but do it often enough and a gap starts to appear. Just enough to worry me a bit.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    kzaam1;
    I have been using Plano boxes too. But I noticed lately that the finish on some of my jigs is getting chipped and damaged by storing them this way. I am now in the process of switching over to jig bags to help eliminate the damage and to be perhaps better organized. I fish a private boat and these jig bags seem like they will function better than the boxes have. We hit some rough conditions one day and had a box spill. I really don't want any more of that. o_O
    FWIW I was resistant to messing about with split rings for the longest time. And you are right they do sometimes spread with repeated use. I got past this by carrying a few packs of replacements in a couple of different sizes. Once I got comfortable with my split ring pliers a lot of my other concerns went away.
    Jeff

Reactions: kzaam1
    Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Well I ended up getting another Goture bag. I have made a couple of mods to them and they look like they will work out great. The pair of these bags keep more than 60 jigs ranging from 100g to 300g well organized and protected. I will take photos and report further after some field testing.
    Jeff

Upvote 0

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
    Riverside, Ca
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    none
    Well I ended up getting another Goture bag. I have made a couple of mods to them and they look like they will work out great. The pair of these bags keep more than 60 jigs ranging from 100g to 300g well organized and protected. I will take photos and report further after some field testing.
    Jeff

Just picked up one of those bags on Amazon, just about half the cost of the Shimano jig bag

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The Mustad bag showed up the other day, surprised at how heavy duty it is, for $46 I was expecting it to be on the flimsy side but it's pretty solid. Straps sewn in all the way around the bottom looks to hold up, and it should cause it holds at least 35 jigs, twice that if you double up, and the slots are big enough to do it. You can load up enough jigs to rupture a disc, or if you want to travel light you can just use one of the inserts and take a handful of jigs.

scOpXWL.jpg

iYxS3Dj.jpg

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    That Mustad bag looks real nice.
    I was out on the water yesterday and tried out one of my Goture bags. Works great by protecting the finish and keeping things very organized. I can lay it out on top of the console and it doesn't move around. Just a glance and I can find what I need. I like it!
    These bags are plenty big enough. Any larger and they would get too heavy and unwieldy. I bought two to be able to keep my jigs separated by type and size. They will handle any jig under 7" long and for those longer jigs I have a small roll type holder.
    Jeff

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Since we are on the subject of jig storage/cases etc.....I wonder if it is stretching it to ask what others are doing to keep and carry their assist hooks. Is anyone using a box like SeaFloor Control makes or something similar?

Jeff

Upvote 0

Explorer1

Almost A Member
    Jan 6, 2019
    Toronto
    Name
    San
    Boat
    None
    Since we are on the subject of jig storage/cases etc.....I wonder if it is stretching it to ask what others are doing to keep and carry their assist hooks. Is anyone using a box like SeaFloor Control makes or something similar?
    Jeff

I use these. About 25prerigged in the foam box will fit
    FCFFF805-3EE3-422B-8B63-E56E758C1BA0.jpeg
    28E1860C-9BC1-497E-BADC-BF04420B3A4D.jpeg

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    As you can see from the side pouch of the Mustard bag pic, I use a heavy plastic sleeve (from my Plano tackle folder). Works perfectly, folds flat, easy to access, and I want to go as light as I can. I have a small Plano that will work but that just makes the side pouch stick out and is bulky.

.... and $60. for a small plastic case with a Seafloor control logo is something I just can't do.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Maybe Benny will weigh in on this? I do agree that $60 is expensive for a storage system for hooks.
    If you look at the SeaFloor box closely it does look like it keeps each pair of hooks under a bit of tension while being pointed at each other. I definitely have some dual assist hooks that would benefit from being stored this way. Some of mine have been stored haphazardly and do want to not lay correctly. When I got to thinking about this I made a temporary shop storage board and soaked these for a while before storing them under tension. In some cases it really seemed to make a difference in how they hang off the jig.
    I don't know if this is being too analytical? or if it is just good practice?
    Jeff

Upvote 0

jowo

• Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    Just started using these. Won't protect jigs from each other, but I haven't found that they do any more damage than a fish will. Can also rinse the whole bag.

16083158420876793890436169470715.jpg

16083158727376067375986113445068.jpg

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    I never wash jigs. Never have, probably never will. It's just not necessary in my experience.

I have two methods for transporting assist hooks. For shorter hooks and additional terminal gear (swivels, extra solid/split rings), I use a small Deps tackle box (maybe 3.5"x3.5") that looks like this. I store hooks in the larger single partition side, and terminal in the smaller partitioned side on top:

1608317470256.png

For larger single hook rigs, like the 620 single assists that I use in deep water, I use a Gamakatsu G-Box Slit Foam Case like this:
    1608317560505.png

For keeping hooks organized while in the box, I put them all on a key ring like this:

Reactions: Cubeye and Proteus
    Upvote 0

Explorer1

Almost A Member
    Jan 6, 2019
    Toronto
    Name
    San
    Boat
    None
    Nice! Do you tie those yourself? Good looking assists.

I did because of the pandemic lockdown, nothing better to do for almost a year. Wants to learn/try “Serve and coated” style but don’t want to invest in a FlyTying Vise. If the lockdown extent again maybe I will:oops:

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    So Benny do you use any dual assist hooks?

It seems to me it is fairly easy to store the single assist hooks. It is the dual assist hooks that are more likely to get fouled up when stored incorrectly.

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    They're on the key ring. I primarily use dual assist hooks.

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    Here in Cali we can only use 2 hooks so I've been using only singles, (one top/one bottom), don't use duals at all. Singles are easy to store and the plastic sleeve works fine.

If I was in Florida or other place that I could use 4 hooks I'd definitely have to invest in one of those hook cases.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Thanks Benny
    So you don't have any issues with some of the hooks pointing the same direction?
    I suppose it is a matter of how they are put together....what assist cord is used etc.... Some of the sets I have are tied with a lighter white line and they seem to be prone to twisting etc.

Jeff

Upvote 0