Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    How do you carry them to the fishing grounds? ......... and how many do you usually take on a trip?

I've been using the Plano Guide binder, it works and I can see the jigs easily, but I admit they're a bit heavy for it, and flipping the pages is cumbersome. Super easy to carry though.

K1eXVoc.jpg

Then you have the newer mesh jig bags that look real convenient, but you have to futz around with split rings before you can get fishing, which I don't like to do.

Reb10gO.jpg

There are the tube storage jig bags, nice design, but it seems you have to pull up each jig by the hook to see it, and I'm sure I can slip some tubes into an ammo can DIY style. (Anybody know where to find TALL ammo cans?)

dkXV4fZ.jpg

.... or maybe you're old skool and just go plastic on em.

aAFiQaW.jpg

It also begs the question, How many do you usually take on a trip?

I've been heading out with 10-12 of my most productive, but I have to admit, since I've been doing this SPJ I've never had to go thru more than 3 jigs before I'm into fish, usually the 2nd one and I'm into them. Maybe it's because Pacific Rockfish and Lingcod are such aggressive biters and will snap at just about anything you waive in front of them, or the stars aligned for me. Been thinking about going out with only a handful of select jigs in future trips, might be foolhardy though.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    I do the plastic box thing on the private boat I have been fishing. I can easily have a couple boxes handy on top of the padded console. Works out OK but some of those rolls look nice too. I have 4 boxes which are organized by jig weight. The box I use most often is 160gr to 230 gr. It probably has at least 16 to 18 jigs in it.

I use to leave hooks on the jigs but have gotten away from that. Now I have a small plano 6 compartment box with a good assortment of single and tandem hooks rigged with split rings.
    Makes it easy to assess hook condition and change rigging quickly. I use to think split rings were a pita but I have gotten very comfortable with them after time.

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    I use to think split rings were a pita but I have gotten very comfortable with them after time.

I've been doing this for a few seasons and I still can't stand messing with them out on the water, but it's also a situational thing. I'm not a private boater and the trip out to the fishing grounds on the party boats is rarely more than hour or so, not a lot of time for that cause the captains like to get limits and back in, so doing the pliers thing with each jig change doesn't work. Gotta be fast. In NorCal & the Bay area party boat anglers are a lot of the time rigged up before they even get on the boat.

I can see it for folks that have their own vessel or on a multi day trip that have the time for it, but it's gonna be a high hurdle for me I think.

I'm so much a DIY person that I came up with a quick/cheap/easy solution.

BcJJhyM.jpg

Holds up to 18 jigs, cost $12. in materials, 20 mins labor. It'll do for now.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    To tell you the truth I was resistant to using the split rings for quite a while. I felt much the same as you do. I used to have all my jigs completely pre rigged. And honestly that was a hassle....and really not the most effective to transport or handle. I kept thinking there has to be a better way.

Once I got comfortable with the split ring pliers and the started using the right rings it got a whole lot easier. Swapping jigs or hooks using this method is actually quicker than re tying. And it works just as well on a party boat as it does on a private boat.

Jeff

Reactions: Cubeye and Proteus
    Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    To tell you the truth I was resistant to using the split rings for quite a while. I felt much the same as you do. I used to have all my jigs completely pre rigged. And honestly that was a hassle....and really not the most effective to transport or handle. I kept thinking there has to be a better way.

Once I got comfortable with the split ring pliers and the started using the right rings it got a whole lot easier. Swapping jigs or hooks using this method is actually quicker than re tying. And it works just as well on a party boat as it does on a private boat.

Jeff

I think the real benefit to that method is safety, hauling around a bunch of jigs with assist hooks attached might get dicey. Even seeing them on my wall storage with hooks looks dangerous and I'm in the process of removing them from the ones not in use.

It's the "legit" way to go, (as much as I don't enjoy it), especially if you're going to bring out all the jigs in your arsenal, and when I get the opportunity to travel & do some bucket list fishing I'll probably have to.

It's just that when the deckhands are trying to bring you dinker rockfish spillover limits from the shrimp fly anglers cause they want to get back into port, and they're half the size of what you're pulling in with SPJ....

.... messing with split rings does not work well on a party boat.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

streetnfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 7, 2009
    south pasadena
    Name
    Ray
    Boat
    Float tube
    I'm mostly party boat guy and on short trips I usually have a bunch of jigs that I have rigged at home. I mostly keep them stored in the plastic sleeve that they come in (cut down to size). This keeps the hooks under control and also keeps them from banging around against each other in the box. Basically they are ready to go like any other jig I might be using. I usually use a variety of fishing setups on my trips so I can take my choice jigs and pack them along with surface iron, colt snipers, weights, etc in their respective compartments. I also take some extra assist hooks and rings in case I need to switch them out but I've really only had to do that on multi-day trips with lots of toothy fish taken.
    If I switch a jig out, I take the previously used one and place it in a small pocket or plastic box in my fishing gear that is for used metal pieces from that day. (hooks, jigs,weights) At the end of the day, all that stuff gets a warm freshwater rinse and air dry for a day before going back into the plastic and back into storage with the other jigs. Helps cut out corrosion problems.
    I'll get around to using my jig rolls and just carry plain jigs, hooks , and pliers but I'm not there yet. Probably on a trip where I slow pitch exclusively. I can see the advantage there especially If you need make several changes to figure out whats working for the current/depth.
    20201130_104122.jpg
    20201130_105027.jpg

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    One of the things that is real nice about using the split ring pliers is that it makes it real easy to remove the heavy jig while in transit. I don't really like running at speed with all that weight hanging around on these light rods. I can leave my hook or hooks secured to the rod until a moment before I am ready to drop. It literally only takes a few seconds to re attach the jig or switch to another.
    Try it you might just find you like it. :-)

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    One of the things that is real nice about using the split ring pliers is that it makes it real easy to remove the heavy jig while in transit. I don't really like running at speed with all that weight hanging around on these light rods. I can leave my hook or hooks secured to the rod until a moment before I am ready to drop. It literally only takes a few seconds to re attach the jig or switch to another.
    Try it you might just find you like it. :-)

I know with tying the line to the solid ring you have the ability to remove the jig only, very efficient method, but I'm never going to like futzing with split rings. If after 4 seasons it hasn't become a joy to do, I don't think it ever will be.

My rod doesn't have a hook stay so that method is out anyway. I did make up some DIY lure wraps like the Kastking, works perfect for moving from reef to reef.

tJbJYXn.jpg

Reactions: Explorer1
    Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    :-) I do understand where you are coming from. If you can get past that place I think you will find it is really easy. It did take me a while to see the wisdom behind it.
    One of the side benefits when you get comfortable with the split rings is you can easily reconfigure hook arrangements. Two on top..or..two on the bottom or one and one. I have found that some jigs fish better with a particular hook arrangement. It can actually effect the action of the jig. At least that is what I have observed.
    Jeff

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    I have found that some jigs fish better with a particular hook arrangement. It can actually effect the action of the jig. At least that is what I have observed.
    Jeff

True, especially if you put teaser skirts on your hooks like me, but I'll probably not be going back to 2 bottom hooks after all the top hook bites I've been getting.
    (I did my research & kept a tally on recent trips, in the future I'm going to experiment with one top hook only)

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    A lot of jig shapes seem to fish best with top hooks. At least that is what we have noticed here. There are some exceptions that we have noticed though. One in particular is the large size Nomad Buffalo jig which is hands down better with the hooks on the bottom. All I can figure is it has to affect the way this shape flutters?

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    What constitutes "fishing better" for these jigs based upon their rigging?

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    In my eyes a jig that fishes better is one that provokes good solid strikes (and hook ups) consistently.
    I know you are aware that our reg's do not allow 4 hooks when fishing for non pelagic species. So we have to come up with alternative arrangements......like two on top.....two on the bottom.......one and one.......or just a single hook. And we are generally fishing these species relatively shallow...say 150' to 275'.
    Fishing with light gear you can often feel the difference in the hang time a certain jig gets with one hook arrangement versus another. Also when one hook arrangement gets bit more often than another on the same jig and on the same day ......I would have to say it fishes better. Maybe that is not the right term? But it is what I meant.
    Jeff

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    I was just curious as to your thoughts, really.

I don't think you're wrong, but I think maybe there's some more things at play that you're not factoring in. Hang time is generally based on the jigs shape, not necessarily the relatively insignificant weight distribution as to whether hooks are on one side or another. However, I do like to have a balanced set up, whether it's a single upper and lower, or double uppers and lowers, because I want the jig to be as weight-neutral as possible, with little influence to either the head or tail of the jig (or at least equal influence using the same weight hooks). There's actually a reason for this.

As a general rule, fish strike head first. If you are fishing jigs that are struck primarily on the fall, and you either use upper hooks only (and you notice you're getting bit more on them) or lower hooks only (and you notice you're getting bit more on them), it's likely the because the added weight of the hooks is causing the jig to fall toward the area where the hooks are, eg - as if it is a fish swimming in that direction. As a result, you'll notice that, unsurprisingly, you'll be getting more strikes on that side of the jig because on balance the jig will have a higher tendency to fall in that direction - appearing as if the fish is swimming in that direction, causing a "head" first strike.

Just something for you to ponder while you tinker.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Benny;
    I really appreciate your comments on this subject. I know you have a wealth of experience on this subject.

You mention the weight of the hooks in relation to the balance of the jig. And it probably does factor in. But I wonder if the drag that each assist hook produces through the water isn't possibly a bigger factor than weight? Probably the only way to truly evaluate this would be a close study using slow motion underwater photography of different jigs and hook arrangements.

The Japanese have a bit of underwater footage in some of their videos on the subject.......but they are almost always using 4 hooks.
    It would be interesting to see how drag through the water factors in. And surely this "possible" drag factor is increased by the use of glow tassels or skirts.

I know I have just scratched the surface of understanding jig selection and rigging. I have definitely noticed the difference in jig behavior or action when it comes to some of the various shapes. And I have found that at least a couple of the readily available jigs out there seem to work much better when they are used with a pair of hooks on the bottom. Other than that I am still trying to get a handle on how best to use this technique in our fishery.

Jeff

Reactions: Cubeye and Proteus
    Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    "possible" drag factor is increased by the use of glow tassels or skirts.

Might be onto something there. I put those tiny skirts on all the time, next trip I'll do some research and comparisons to see if the feel and performance is noticeably different.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    I feel fairly certain that there has to be some additional drag through the water when skirts or tassels are added. How much it affects the lure action is a bit hard to say. I have noticed a somewhat slower descent rate when I have used hoochie type skirts on these jigs. Again it is hard to say how much effect it has.

These add on items may or may not make a difference to the action of the lure. I do think they can sometimes make a difference to how the fish react. In particular I think they are probably pretty useful in getting Lingcod to bite.

The last time I was out we had a lot of trouble getting down through huge bait balls of mackerel that were suspended well above our fishing spots. Very frustrating. We were joking about coming up with a way to deploy the hooks only after reaching the bottom! :D

Reactions: Proteus
    Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    Thanks for all the replies, and the rollup Benny showed looks pretty awesome, but I think the Jig bag/case is going to fit my needs best. Anybody have any experience with either of these?

Shimano butterfly case:

uOD7s6k.jpg

Shout jig bag:

aS4UpLK.jpg

Upvote 0

Explorer1

Almost A Member
    Jan 6, 2019
    Toronto
    Name
    San
    Boat
    None
    Used to have one of these Plano ones, might be a bad batch but the handle wasn’t as strong and gave way after a couple of trips. (If I buy one more I will stay away from this one) The current one I attached (above) hold up strong. I loaded it up to the max that can fit ....till a point I have a hard time not using 2 hands, held up good. I bring the “roll up, drainage bag and this jig-bag” when I fish oversea, roll up and drainage bag I find not to bad when packing for checkin, but this Jig-Bag seem bunky.
    Just saying..... :-)
    D2E1D45A-CD4A-4060-BADC-A9155BBD05BE.jpeg

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    Used to have one of these Plano ones, might be a bad batch but the handle wasn’t as strong and gave way after a couple of trips. (If I buy one more I will stay away from this one) The current one I attached (above) hold up strong. I loaded it up to the max that can fit ....till a point I have a hard time not using 2 hands, held up good. I bring the “roll up, drainage bag and this jig-bag” when I fish oversea, roll up and drainage bag I find not to bad when packing for checkin, but this Jig-Bag seem bunky.
    Just saying..... :-) View attachment 1231494

I think those Planos aren't available anymore, maybe that's the reason.
    That's why I was looking at those ones, the handles seem sturdy. No reviews of them online though.

So you like the JM bag, how many does it hold? (without having to double up jigs)

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I have the Shimano Butterfly bag that I've had 5 plus years. Very well made and functional. My only gripe is the longer knife jigs won't fit in the interior pockets. There is one long pocket to stow them though. Fully packed, it weighs 25-30#'s.

Upvote 0

Explorer1

Almost A Member
    Jan 6, 2019
    Toronto
    Name
    San
    Boat
    None
    So you like the JM bag, how many does it hold? (without having to double up jigs)
    Not so much about that, this is the 2nd one I got after the Plano and it do the job so far so never thought about finding another. Bet there are better ones out there.

If you want 1 jig 1 slot, this is not the one. They have a wide pockets so SPJ I put 2 in one slot and Slimmer jigs I put 3 in one a lot.

It got 4 pages, page 1 and 4 is for longer jigs and 2 and 3 (3 is behind 2) for shorter jigs. Another thing I like about it is got a thinker material (looks leather but I bet you it’s not) so the sharp end of the jig don’t poke through easy.
    8CCB54AD-D6F1-49FF-BAB9-8988437E230F.jpeg
    FB5BE81C-BA65-4CE3-AC54-EEE22614B1EF.jpeg
    64B5CFDA-9AF0-4B3F-88AB-604D1E5C27D4.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0