How Do Y'all Fish Tuna Here

Jan 19, 2022
California
Name
Eddy
Boat
No Boat (Yet)
So i am getting ready for the upcoming season this fall for tuna, and I am pretty sure I have all the right gear, but how are y'all find where the tuna are? And how are yall fishing them? Bait fishing, jigging, poppers, and kites? I know, I know, Im a newbie... this is much different from salmon and halibut in AK...

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    LOADED Question.....Tuna here range from
    the tip of Baja/beyond to South of SD and
    Socal, even Norcal by Fall...it's a big ocean.
    For big bluefin you need big tackle. For others
    in Mexican waters short range like YF Tuna, Dorado, Yellowtail in summer-Med. Tackle.
    Sometimes lighter for smaller schoolie tuna.
    WHAT are your goals? Short range trips or
    long range? What's your budget? Give us
    some clues and starting points. LOL

Reactions: Kevin A
    Upvote 0
    Jan 19, 2022
    California
    Name
    Eddy
    Boat
    No Boat (Yet)
    Fishing out around clemente and catalina islands... mostly focused on medium to schoolie tuna, but would like to have one set up just in case the biggens show up. My bad, my bad... again im a big newbie.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Doesn’t HAVE to be Penn gear, but this should give you something to read sitting on the john

Upvote 0
    Jan 19, 2022
    California
    Name
    Eddy
    Boat
    No Boat (Yet)
    Doesn’t HAVE to be Penn gear, but this should give you something to read sitting on the john

penn gear just fits the budget well

Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    penn gear just fits the budget well
    The rod and reel is just a drop in the bucket, Now look at all the terminal tackle, the kite's or ballons with helium tanks, either a big fish hold or a couple big kill bags, The gas, the ice. If your on a budget, do a couple Long Range trips and you will be way ahead of the game, Money and fish wise. This stuff your asking takes years to learn it with a lot of trial and error and bring home the big donut for your money and efforts.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    The rod and reel is just a drop in the bucket, Now look at all the terminal tackle, the kite's or ballons with helium tanks, either a big fish hold or a couple big kill bags, The gas, the ice. If your on a budget, do a couple Long Range trips and you will be way ahead of the game, Money and fish wise. This stuff your asking takes years to learn it with a lot of trial and error and bring home the big donut for your money and efforts.
    He's right...I started age 13 about 1959-60.
    Fishing with Veteran anglers,crews,
    YOU LEARN if you're paying attention. FYI

Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    He's right...I started age 13 about 1959-60.
    Fishing with Veteran anglers,crews,
    YOU LEARN if you're paying attention. FYI
    As Tuna head said, Pay close Attention when people are getting bit and your not, Forget about what he said or she said, Just pay attention to the people getting bit and you aren't!! Just like when your fishing for tuna and the skipjack are all over you and the tuna are hanging under the skippies, Forget about using a hot bait, Use a dead bait to get past the skippies, (The skippies generally wont go after the dead bait) and the yellowfin will inhale a dead bait in a New York second.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Learning to find and catch tuna with some consistency from a private boat is roughly the same investment of money and time as getting your private pilot license. It can certainly be done, but it takes real commitment and a fat wallet. The same for marlin, swordfish, and other big game fish.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    I have too many hobbies. All expensive. Try to limit yourself to a gun and a smaller rig 20-40 lb.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Learning to find and catch tuna with some consistency from a private boat is roughly the same investment of money and time as getting your private pilot license. It can certainly be done, but it takes real commitment and a fat wallet. The same for marlin, swordfish, and other big game fish.
    YEP the 1 thing you can't buy right away, is
    TIME on the water, learning, looking, catching.

Upvote 0

2454 big mike

Aug 31, 2015
    Ramona
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Party crasher
    When we first started on our boat we had a friend that was experienced. We buddy boated with him several times before we got the hang of it. Took quite a few trips to get it down.
    My son then got fish dope and that was a game changer.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    the far reaches of crazy
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    So i am getting ready for the upcoming season this fall for tuna, and I am pretty sure I have all the right gear, but how are y'all find where the tuna are? And how are yall fishing them? Bait fishing, jigging, poppers, and kites? I know, I know, Im a newbie... this is much different from salmon and halibut in AK...

Eddie,

June too Late September is "offshore season". "Yellow Tail, Tuna and Dorado", kind of in that order as the season goes. Every years is a little different, some years are epic and some you really have to put lots of hours on the water. It really does come down to time on the water.

Don't over think it. Find the right conditions, and start from there. Meaning check out the SST and Chlorophyl charts. Look for where the tempbreaks meat clean blue water. Check the tides. And plan your trip from there. Look for kelp paddies.

You don't need fancy expensive gear. The Penn's will work just fine.

Most of fish our Pelagic fish are caught on live bait. Fly line, Dropper, or using a small egg sinker. Smaller hook. Match your hook with your bait size. #2 is pretty standard. 20-40 lb line. with a Floro leader, but I have caught plenty of tuna on strait mono.

Iron jigs are also very popular. Salas, Tady, Megabaits, Coltsnipers.

Trolling, good old Zukers feathers work well for YFT and Yt, and the occasional Dodo.

Stop by your local tackle store and they can help set you with a decent So Cal offshore arsenal.

Blue Fin...whole different beast. There are some great posts here. Ali made a great video on the how to's on fishing the big Blue fin. Check out the search feature in the upper left corner of the screen. Little magnify glass.

Also. Fishdope and YourSaltwaterGuide are great pay to play websites tools to help cut the learning curve and find the location of the fish.

Good luck.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

islandhooker

Fish whisperer
    Jun 29, 2007
    ca
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    Trophy center console
    It Takes time on the water to figure it all out. It’s always a learning game. The tuna are always moving and always changing what they will bite. My suggestion is to have a lot of different options on the boat.
    Kite rig , helium , different jigs , spreader bars and daisy chains.

Upvote 0

tunacraze

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    I think the Mexican seiners are already done for the year. Saw two boats, Maria Antonieta and El Titi1, North of Cedros for the better part of this month. Both have returned to Ensenada.

Latest posts