Grayson Everett

Grayson Everett
Jan 9, 2021
New York, NY
Name
Grayson Everett
Boat
Spirit
I have a pond I recently inherited. It is the size of a football field. Has a rocky bottom, lots of twists and turns, a few old trees hanging in the middle. As well as bushes with no leaves all around the pond interior. Water is fairly clear. I fished the pond. Caught a lot of bass. I noticed two things... one, the smaller bass <1# look healthy, maybe a little skinny. 2, the larger bass >2# have a skinny belly and big head. I caught a 4lber that had the head of a 8# fish. My question is, how do I make my larger LMB fatter? The pond can not be reached by auto or 4wheeler.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Bluegill or crappie.

Crappie get big and are good eating if you know the water quality of your pond.

Crayfish, frogs....all kinds of good bait. Not sure where you live, but I'd try to use indigenous species.

Reactions: Grayson Everett

kzaam1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Take a cue from the SoCal lakes that have produced some of the biggest bass in the world.

Regular trout stockings!!! 50-100 pounds of trout each month should do it.

And cull the small and thin fish.

Or stock some bluegill if you’re not going to do the trout.

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
It's more complicated than just adding bass and baitfish. You need to establish a true ecosystem, starting with phytoplankton, which will feed baitfish, insects, and crawdads.

To get the bass to grow larger, you will need to cull out the bass at times. There are lots of great articles on how to stock and grow a bass pond. Things like water chemistry, fertilizers, and what fish to add, and what fish not to add. It's quite a process.

A green pond is going to have more fish than a clear pond.