How do I cover my bases?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by Shade42087, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Shade42087

Shade42087 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Yes plz
    So here is the deal guys. I am trying to plan a trip with my cousin to go hit up some yellowtail/(hopefully) tuna within the next couple months. I currently have an Avet JX g2 with 65lb braid/50lb mono top shot, on a calstar GF-900H, and I also have a Shimano Calcutta 400 w/ 50lb braid/30lb flouro leader, and a 9ft seeker SC530 15-40lb. So I want to make sure im prepared in case we come across some larger fish since I am hoping to do a 1.5 day and I am hoping for better grade fish. Also dont want to go too big either in case we end up targeting smaller fish. AND ON TOP OF ALLLL MY GEAR NEEDS...I am also trying to coach my cousin on what he should be buying, and navigating through the gear choices without experience is giving me a headache. So really i just want to hear what you think of my current 2 setups, and also what you take with you on a trip where you just never know what you're going to get into. Tight lines!

Also lure recommendations will be met with much thanks!

35160539_1896520153744392_6742248500303495168_n.jpg 35266129_1896520233744384_7552740495852568576_n.jpg

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I'd get some different leader sizes and maybe another set up for throwing irons while using the jx for yoyo fishing

3. Shade42087

Shade42087 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Yes plz
    Yeah I was thinking that myself. Just bring 20-60lb leaders, and a couple different size jigs and just go. Really trying to not go on another 2.5 day with no gear. The first time I went I had 2 rental rods and that was it, got skunked on tuna, dorado, and yellowtail despite plenty being caught. Part of that was just because I didn't have any technique to speak of. But now that I've got an idea, and I'm trying to get my cousins into it also, I'm hoping that by ensuring my gear is sufficient, I'll be increasing my odds! Thanks!

4. simmo13

simmo13 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Simmo
    Boat:
    2007 17' Baja bayrunner
    I’d advise to throw a top shot on that braid. 100 yard top shot or so. When on a sporty if your not the best fisherman it’s advised not to fish braid to a short leader. You will cut everybody off. For short trips it’s pretty simple.
    3-4 setups covering 20-50 pound line.
    So for me I’d take a
    1.300 size baitcaster w a mh rod that can fish 20-30 leaders
    2. Trini 16 to fish 25-40 leaders
    3. Trini or torium 20 with a 7’ bait rod 20-40
    Then you can either switch the bass stuff for a jig stick or a heavy BFT setup. Good luck

Shade42087 likes this.
  5. Weberied556

Weberied556 Member

Name:
    Peter
    Boat:
    If it floats around fish, take my money
    If you fish only braid to the brim, and have a tackle bag of fluro leaders 20,25,30,40,60,&80 you'll have everything covered. Your 400b can fish 20-30 for live bait, and your JX can fish 40 and up for live bait. For jigs slow pitching an yoyoing, up the leaders for abrasion resistance and youre set.

i would put 40 braid on the calcutta 400, annd 65 on the JX. JMO. Have fun out there!

6. Shade42087

Shade42087 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Yes plz
    Thanks that kind of is exactly what I have going on now. I have 65lb spectra with about 100yds of 50lb hi seas black widow copolymer topshot on a 7" custom 700 series rod, rated 30-100lb.(not sure what brand) . And on my Calcutta I've got 50lb spectra with a 2ft leader of 30lb xxx izorline copolymer, that's on my 9ft seeker rated for 15-40lb. And I just picked up a tranx 500hg, spooled it with 65lb maxcuatro power pro, with a 2ft leader of 50lb hi seas black widow copolymer. I'm hoping my line performs well, I'm ordering some 40lb to make leaders with.

7. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T

Bait set-ups before jig, that's what's going to work most often. If I'm just going to the islands or La Jolla to fish yellows I'll bring a surface iron rod, yoyo rod, and one bait rod to save room, usually 25lb or 30lb, depending on the size of the fish that are around and what I'm hearing they're eating, but only because I'm reasonably confident in the pattern and knowing what the fish will do now. If on a sportboat I might bring extra surface iron or yoyo rod to play around with purely because I have them. 90% of the time my jig stick has a 7x or 7x jr, and my yoyo rod has a 6x jr on. Seems pretty rare they only want large yoyo jigs and won't eat the smaller ones, but it happens, but plenty of times they only want the small ones. Locally, that is.

Offshore is a completely different story. Regardless of the target I bring 17lb bait, 25lb bait, 30lb bait, 40lb bait, 60lb bait, 80lb/100lb/flatfall, 40-50lb surface iron/popper, and 60-80lb surface iron/popper. You really have no idea what you'll run into, could be rat yellows, could be 200lb bluefin, and it's not uncommon to have no warning what you're about to find. If you're planning to change out leaders underway you're severely handicapping yourself. The landings advise having at least a 25lb, a 40lb, and a 60-80lb bait set up for any of these offshore trips. You can at least rent the heavy gear at most of them.

Keep in mind that video is from 2013, and the "bigger bluefin" they're talking about are nowhere near the 200lb+ class that the boats are seeing on occasion. Even the 100lb class on 40lb with a single speed aren't very fun, 2 speeds make a difference here.

I would try to have 20lb, 30lb, and 40lb bait set ups then work on the rest. I started out thinking I could use my calico gear for a bait rod and just change leaders, so I bought a jig stick because it looked like fun. A few boat rides of not catching fish because I didn't understand the basics yet led me to buy real bait set ups and I started learning. Proper drags, no levelwinds causing braid to dig, enough topshot for some stretch, these things all make a big difference, it's not just line capacity and the number on the box the drag is supposed to be good for. I'm still learning a lot, but having the appropriate gear makes the process much faster and success more frequent. Start with the basics and then build, it seems to be less frustrating.

Shade42087 likes this.
  8. Shade42087

Shade42087 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Yes plz
    Thanks for that. This is great info, I have been listening to podcasts and watching videos online about all this stuff NONSTOP even at work the last week! I really do appreciate it!

9. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    I feel ya, I'm the same way. I'm still new myself, but I've picked up a few lessons and I like to think I'm a quick study.

Shade42087 likes this.