willbuyone

Terry Cobb
Aug 4, 2016
Lompoc Ca
Name
Terry Cobb
Boat
Robalo R180 ( Sole Seeker )
In the past I have only owned one gold reel an Avet MXJ . I never liked as much as my black or silver Avets . I recently purchased a used Mak 8ii in gold . The color bothers me some but I would not have bought this reel new to get in silver . How bad is gold compared to other colors in your opinion ?

Smart Ass Comments are Welcomed !

5E9FAB06-CE01-48C2-9E0E-F2CC522E0A6C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: repo805

fishboy93

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
Not sure what the color of a reel changes. Seems like a dumb thing to whine about... it’s a fishing reel, if you’re a good angler it’ll end up scratched to hell and beat up anyway after a bunch of fish are caught on it. Throw it back in your purse until your next trip...

Hismosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
Have just about every color out there, same with my rods. I guess if you're looking for a complete set I could see the problem.

Reactions: willbuyone

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Not my favorite color but that didn’t stop me from buying a Penn 40nld. Although I wish they had it in black......

Gold just isn’t my thing and it doesn’t match the colors on my custom rods like the black, grey and even silver Maks and Penns do.

It wouldn’t stop me from fishing the hell out of it though

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
Dec 5, 2004
Name
Bud
Boat
Spotfin
Can I get you to discuss shoe colors with my wife so I don't have to hear it?

Maybe while you two are getting yer nails done?

I'll be at the bar smelling of Old No. 7. I'll order you something with an umbrella and fruit garnish.

chxh8me

Anchovy Slayer
Jul 20, 2010
Thousand Oaks
Name
Mike
Boat
21' Whaler Walkaround
Gold has a higher exchange rate on the bitcoin market than silver. So you’re all good.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
mmm Buy it then complain...... sounds good thing to discuss here on BD.....

so tell me why the heck buy something in a color you don't like....
NTFS.......have a great day.....

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Surprised no else has said this yet:

Your gold reel needs the spool bearings de-greased and lubed up with a light speed oil. This will dramatically increase your freespool on that reel and make it a better rival of its silver/black or gunmetal SEA cousin.

willbuyone

Terry Cobb
Aug 4, 2016
Lompoc Ca
Name
Terry Cobb
Boat
Can I get you to discuss shoe colors with my wife so I don't have to hear it?

Maybe while you two are getting yer nails done?

I'll be at the bar smelling of Old No. 7. I'll order you something with an umbrella and fruit garnish.
My advice on shoes is not to wear black cowboy boots with a short skirt .

Last edited:

willbuyone

Terry Cobb
Aug 4, 2016
Lompoc Ca
Name
Terry Cobb
Boat
Surprised no else has said this yet:

Your gold reel needs the spool bearings de-greased and lubed up with a light speed oil. This will dramatically increase your freespool on that reel and make it a better rival of its silver/black or gunmetal SEA cousin.
Thanks for the advice .

Day0ne

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
Some gold's are worse than others (though, IMHO gold reels suck). The Mak gold is wonderful compared to the old Pro Gear gold.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Way, way back in the day all big game reels were black. Then in the '30s some marine biologists started looking closely at big game fish, and found that the biggest marlin and many other trophy fish were females. Since females have an instinctive attraction to gold, the big yachting types persuaded the reel manufacturers to make the reels gold in color to see if they could raise more big fish. It worked. Look at all the old movies of the first grander marlin fights off Peru and Australia, the reels are gold.

So keep your gold reel and fish it with confidence. You'll win more jackpots.

willbuyone

Terry Cobb
Aug 4, 2016
Lompoc Ca
Name
Terry Cobb
Boat
Way, way back in the day all big game reels were black. Then in the '30s some marine biologists started looking closely at big game fish, and found that the biggest marlin and many other trophy fish were females. Since females have an instinctive attraction to gold, the big yachting types persuaded the reel manufacturers to make the reels gold in color to see if they could raise more big fish. It worked. Look at all the old movies of the first grander marlin fights off Peru and Australia, the reels are gold.

So keep your gold reel and fish it with confidence. You'll win more jackpots.
I like this advice I am going to keep it and fish it ! It is a great reel and I was bored so I started this thread and I am glad I did it has been very entertaining so far .