KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
Quick little run in the Bay yesterday before pulling the boat out of the water. I think not too bad of numbers considering I was bucking a fairly strong tide and pounding against a hard chop. And....no spray on the windows.

24.7 knots or 28.4 mph. 2.5 nautical miles/gal or almost 2.9 miles/gal. Top rpm is around 3450 so more to play with if needed or wanted. It was around 35 knots maybe a bit less or 40 mph. Didn't leave it there long as I was by myself. Actually I'm not sure what % a guy should run backed off from WOT on this engine. I didn't play with trim and or the tabs. I should mount my GoPro looking at the screen to go through the paces so I can look out the window avoiding chunks of wood.

On a side note I ran the Furuno Navpilot 300 through its paces. It held course well at speed, held course well at slow speed--dead idle with the slow speed function activated....right around 2 knots. It was also locked in solid heading for a waypoint. The SCX20 Sat heading sensor might help this some when in Nav mode. One cool feature with the pilot is the Sabiki mode that should work well back-trolling or whatever you call it when backing into the sea fishing for butts. I tried it backing into a fairly strong ebb with a 2' or 3' wind chop yesterday. It held course really well even in the slow speed mode. More than happy with this pilot and how it works with the Volvo outdrive.

Got some noise at the higher rpms on the fish finder which I'll have to track down. Hopefully just settings but we'll see. Sees bottom at speed but midwater gets noisy which pisses me off.

Photo by Kim Hampton on February 10, 2021. May be an image of odometer and text that says 'VOLVO PENTA 50 25 75 20 10 0 30 30 00 20 94 0 40 10 5 40 2740 rpm 0 TotalFuelRate 9.9 gal 60 24.7 Fual 2.5 m/gal 12:19 Waypoints Info Fuei 89 gal Home 2.2 Menu Mark VOLVO PENTA'.

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Pretty sweet fuel economy, you gotta be happy with those numbers. How heavy do you think your boat is?

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
Pretty sweet fuel economy, you gotta be happy with those numbers. How heavy do you think your boat is?
I haven't put it on a highway scale but Farallon told me 11,000-ish. I was by myself. Fuel tank was close to full. I did forget to fill the bait tank. As I was walking to my truck to get my trailer Bill Benton drove up and introduced himself. He has basically the same boat. I think his engine is a D6-310, mine is the 340 and my outdrive is somewhat different. Anyway I was quizzing him hard on how he has his set up. He did tell me it didn't seem to matter or matter much if he had a full load of ice, fish & people. Must be the torque of the diesel or something.

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
On the Dph/D6 370hp package I ran for 7 years I finally installed a temp sender in the od to monitor oil temp and found if I ran 3000 and under temps stayed good. If I ran over 3000 rpm temps would rise and I believe this is why many had premature od failures. My boat was 16,500 # or so and 2950 rpm was the sweet spot for right around 2 statute mpg. Your boat is lighter and od is of superior design thanks to Vp using guys like me for r&d , so I would expect you will have better service life. I would still not run over 3000 rpm for extended periods of time but 3000 should be flying in your boat.

Reactions: Tomictime
Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
2.5 NM per gallon at 25 knots???? And, those gallons cost 35% less or even less than gasoline??? Yeah, you poor bugger. Hahaha. Set her to the 2,750 rpms, push the autopilot button to on, and sit back sipping coffee for the two hour run. Perfect.

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
I haven't put it on a highway scale but Farallon told me 11,000-ish. I was by myself. Fuel tank was close to full. I did forget to fill the bait tank. As I was walking to my truck to get my trailer Bill Benton drove up and introduced himself. He has basically the same boat. I think his engine is a D6-310, mine is the 340 and my outdrive is somewhat different. Anyway I was quizzing him hard on how he has his set up. He did tell me it didn't seem to matter or matter much if he had a full load of ice, fish & people. Must be the torque of the diesel or something.

Only thing left to do is plug her with tuna, ice and a few fat friends and see what she can do. Looks like she is gonna be a lot of fun and light on the wallet.

Reactions: Tomictime
Upvote 0

haggardscove

Almost A Member
Mar 20, 2008
Eastern WA
Name
Ernie
Boat
26' Sea Sport
Glad you finally got to spend some running the new beast. As Bill Benton already mentioned, the 2.5 nmpg loaded or empty holds true. The D4 I run will do 2.4 all day, heavy or light except it is smpg.

Reactions: Genie Aye and KimH
Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
2.5 NM per gallon at 25 knots???? And, those gallons cost 35% less or even less than gasoline??? Yeah, you poor bugger. Hahaha. Set her to the 2,750 rpms, push the autopilot button to on, and sit back sipping coffee for the two hour run. Perfect.
But, but you'll be leaving me in the spray and mist drinking your latte. I do know of a new boat that should arrive in Westport this year that will be sporting 3 400 Mercs that will more than likely leave us all behind in the spray and mist.

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    But, but you'll be leaving me in the spray and mist drinking your latte. I do know of a new boat that should arrive in Westport this year that will be sporting 3 400 Mercs that will more than likely leave us all behind in the spray and mist.
    But still be at the fuel dock 30 minutes after you are done fueling still pumping...lol.

I second Bills story on his 28 Farallon, load doesn't make squat difference and economy is insanely good for this size boat. You are going to love her, but really..a bean bag in the back corner ROCKS!!!

Reactions: WaveDancer
    Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
    May 9, 2014
    Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Boatless.....
    Awesome. They say rule of thumb is 90% of WOT, but i never did that, to save the drives i kept to 3k or 2.8.

Those are great numbers, the CW was a 1 nmpg wonder, downhill with wind and tide.ha

Reactions: KimH
    Upvote 0

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
  • Aug 26, 2008
    Kitsap/Westport, WA
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    Prowling for a Cat
    Quick little run in the Bay yesterday before pulling the boat out of the water. I think not too bad of numbers considering I was bucking a fairly strong tide and pounding against a hard chop. And....no spray on the windows.

24.7 knots or 28.4 mph. 2.5 nautical miles/gal or almost 2.9 miles/gal. Top rpm is around 3450 so more to play with if needed or wanted. It was around 35 knots maybe a bit less or 40 mph. Didn't leave it there long as I was by myself. Actually I'm not sure what % a guy should run backed off from WOT on this engine. I didn't play with trim and or the tabs. I should mount my GoPro looking at the screen to go through the paces so I can look out the window avoiding chunks of wood.

On a side note I ran the Furuno Navpilot 300 through its paces. It held course well at speed, held course well at slow speed--dead idle with the slow speed function activated....right around 2 knots. It was also locked in solid heading for a waypoint. The SCX20 Sat heading sensor might help this some when in Nav mode. One cool feature with the pilot is the Sabiki mode that should work well back-trolling or whatever you call it when backing into the sea fishing for butts. I tried it backing into a fairly strong ebb with a 2' or 3' wind chop yesterday. It held course really well even in the slow speed mode. More than happy with this pilot and how it works with the Volvo outdrive.

Got some noise at the higher rpms on the fish finder which I'll have to track down. Hopefully just settings but we'll see. Sees bottom at speed but midwater gets noisy which pisses me off.

Photo by Kim Hampton on February 10, 2021. May be an image of odometer and text that says 'VOLVO PENTA 50 25 75 20 10 0 30 30 00 20 94 0 40 10 5 40 2740 rpm 0 TotalFuelRate 9.9 gal 60 24.7 Fual 2.5 m/gal 12:19 Waypoints Info Fuei 89 gal Home 2.2 Menu Mark VOLVO PENTA'.'VOLVO PENTA 50 25 75 20 10 0 30 30 00 20 94 0 40 10 5 40 2740 rpm 0 TotalFuelRate 9.9 gal 60 24.7 Fual 2.5 m/gal 12:19 Waypoints Info Fuei 89 gal Home 2.2 Menu Mark VOLVO PENTA'.

Sounds like that's gonna be lots of fun this summer.

About your fish finder, where is the transducer mounted?

WD

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    Sounds like that's gonna be lots of fun this summer.

About your fish finder, where is the transducer mounted?

WD
    Thru hull B275LHW. I wasn't too happy with the ducer install the electronics guy did. I ended up ripping a bit more than an 1" off that section of the trailer bunk. I floated the boat on the trailer the other day and it looks like I have about 2" clearance from ducer to bunk now so that's livable. It's about 3' or a bit better from the stern. I guess the big question is if it's a crappy ducer install or I'm picking up electrical noise from the engine. It doesn't quite look like bubble noise since I didn't lose bottom at all. Wish I would have thought to take a picture of it as I could of sent it off to Steve at Furuno if he hasn't retired yet. He would probably know right away the cause. I don't think the installer ran a separate power wire back from the TZT3. Something to check out once I get back down to Westport in a week or so.
    IMG_6489.jpg

IMG_6483 3.jpg

Upvote 0

WaveDancer

• Aug 26, 2008
    Kitsap/Westport, WA
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    Prowling for a Cat
    Thru hull B275LHW. I wasn't too happy with the ducer install the electronics guy did. I ended up ripping a bit more than an 1" off that section of the trailer bunk. I floated the boat on the trailer the other day and it looks like I have about 2" clearance from ducer to bunk now so that's livable. It's about 3' or a bit better from the stern. I guess the big question is if it's a crappy ducer install or I'm picking up electrical noise from the engine. It doesn't quite look like bubble noise since I didn't lose bottom at all. Wish I would have thought to take a picture of it as I could of sent it off to Steve at Furuno if he hasn't retired yet. He would probably know right away the cause. I don't think the installer ran a separate power wire back from the TZT3. Something to check out once I get back down to Westport in a week or so.
    View attachment 1253212
    View attachment 1253211

Seems weird they would mount it directly in line and SO close to your raw water pickup, at least to me.

When I had my NavNet system installed some years ago they went way out of their way to put it in what appears to the same style of fairing block as far as they could from anything else on the bottom of the boat.

I would for sure get in touch with the folks at FURUNO, I would bet good money they will have some checks to make or advise on your situation, best support I have ever dealt with, bar none.

WD

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    Yeah the engine compartment doesn't have a lot of options. The guy was more used to larger yachts et cetera. The pick up is for the washdown and bait tank but it's behind the ducer. Not sure if there'd be any influence from it unless it'd create an eddy or backwash. He was worried because of propellor rotation direction but I thought that was more of a transom mount ducer problem. Counter rotating props probably mutes that out anyway so a port side mount would have worked I think.

What I saw was a good bottom picture or lock. No gaps like you'd see if you catch air under the ducer. We'd see that a lot in Alaska when in heavy seas. This looked like a large increase in gain from the bottom up when I increased speed so I'm hoping it some sort of electrical noise. Wish I would have taken a screen shot as I won't be able to get the boat back into the water for better than I week. We'll see I guess. Ain't boats fun.

Upvote 0

WaveDancer

• Aug 26, 2008
    Kitsap/Westport, WA
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    Prowling for a Cat
    Yeah the engine compartment doesn't have a lot of options. The guy was more used to larger yachts et cetera. The pick up is for the washdown and bait tank but it's behind the ducer. Not sure if there'd be any influence from it unless it'd create an eddy or backwash. He was worried because of propellor rotation direction but I thought that was more of a transom mount ducer problem. Counter rotating props probably mutes that out anyway so a port side mount would have worked I think.

What I saw was a good bottom picture or lock. No gaps like you'd see if you catch air under the ducer. We'd see that a lot in Alaska when in heavy seas. This looked like a large increase in gain from the bottom up when I increased speed so I'm hoping it some sort of electrical noise. Wish I would have taken a screen shot as I won't be able to get the boat back into the water for better than I week. We'll see I guess. Ain't boats fun.

Low or high frequency, do you recall?

Is there a ground wire going to the fairing block up top?

I didn't see one and the one I had did have one and they warned me to be wary of ripping it loose if I wasn't paying attention when working around that part of the inside of the hull.

WD

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    Low or high frequency, do you recall?

Is there a ground wire going to the fairing block up top?

I didn't see one and the one I had did have one and they warned me to be wary of ripping it loose if I wasn't paying attention when working around that part of the inside of the hull.

WD
    Both freq's I think if I remember correctly. I don't remember seeing any ground wire to the ducer or was told about one. Something I'll have check out when I get back to Westport. Hope it's that simple. I just fired off an email to Steve Bradburn who I've worked with for years and years on the commercial side of things of the Furuno stuff we used. Email bounced back. He retired...damn it I lost my inside connection to Furuno. He always gave me straight scoop. Ahh well it will get figured....I hope.

Reactions: WaveDancer
    Upvote 0