azbaseball

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
I was out to dinner with another couple and the bill came. So I picked it up and gave the young lady my card and then put cash in the folder for the tip. I wrote on the slip that this is not a tip but a one time gift. So it was the usual 25% of the bill. So while they were drinking the coffee the subject of how much do I tip on the boat. I explained usually 25-30% of the cost of the trip (I.E. the published trip cost) My wife does the what look. I explain the deck hands and cooks are working x amount of hours and what they do. She looked me in the eyes and said" How much do they get paid" I relied somewhere between 100-150 per day. So she starts even if they work 12 hour days they are making 10-15 dollars per hour. Yes. the young lady you just gave 25% to is make about 4.50 per hour working 8-10 hour days. OK how do I justify giving the deckhands the same percentage as the server? And that percentage comes out to a lot more then the server makes in a shift.
Good question. Do we give our servers a better share of the pie? I will sit back and listen to your response. Thanks

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
What sort of math are you doing over there? Unless you're the only customer on both the boat and the restaurant

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
I'll bet crews really appreciate your gesture. And you're right, most of em are more than deserving. However, you're making the rest of us skin flints look bad! :rolleyes:

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Elitetv1958

Sep 20, 2005
Las Vegas
Name
Dan
Boat
Music
For the last 5 or 6 trips...I’ve passed the hat to gather a few bucks for the red shirts who help load our stuff on the boat. Coincidently, my tackle box was always loaded early...so good tackle box spot!

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
Jul 19, 2013
Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Norm Campbell
Boat
UnBelievable
All I know is my gear is treated with care, the best tackle box spot on the boat awaits my box. Everything is where it should be every time. Yes I tip well. When you take into consideration all the boat work you never see in the yard to make your tip great. All the people whom don’t I try to make up for. It’s just the right thing to do. I always get the great bait as well. It’s nice to be never that guy!!!!! And that guy always is amazed at how many jackpots I win and also give to the crew on top of the tip! Hope your reading this thread.

Reactions: Paulo Grandez

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
With as much as LR trips cost, should giving a generous tip even be an issue?

I've tipped deckhands on trips where we caught nothing. Maybe it's just me.

Reactions: Kin

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
2018 Minimum wage in AZ is $10.50/HR. Where the $4.50 come from?

Reactions: Juanba

Newby1

Sep 4, 2013
WC
Name
Luis
Boat
none
Id tell her to shut the fuck up and mind her own business.
My fav deck hand may fetch me a beer, but that waitress isn't gaffing a potential fish of a lifetime for me.
I bet you're single. Hahaha

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
Oct 7, 2009
Phoenix Hellazona
Name
Azlandlocked
Boat
RRII, PV, the Big X
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not another tipping post....... Hell give em all ya got left over in your pocket if you win the JP give em that too if you still don't fell warm & fuzzy give em an open check or loan out your wife for a weekend LOL. Just give them what you feel to be fair OK? 15 -20%

Reactions: Texlee

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Off the boat, before heading down with the Red Shirts. I usually give Billy (always there) twenty bucks and they share tips. Anything else, anywhere else is irrelevant to Long Range fishing. Don’t try to save the world by compensating for guys who don’t tip a fair share. If they’re ignorant, they should read this thread. If not they’re just cheap.