Houston!

Discussion in 'Texas Fishing Reports' started by OffshoreGary, May 12, 2019.

1. OffshoreGary

OffshoreGary Newbie

Name:
    Gary Edmonds
    Boat:
    Shamrock 219 WA, Kathryn Ann
    My son is moving to Texas from SO Cal next month - a job offer that'll just about double his income. He's a diehard fisherman - both fresh and salt - and I was just wondering what he's getting into moving down there. He'll only have weekends, but looking at maps, he'll have both salt (Galveston) and fresh (just about everywhere)... Can anybody chime in with what he can expect? I'm not looking for numbers or anything, but "try this lake" or "fish on this boat," would be great. Thanks!

2. Day0ne

Day0ne Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    For salt offshore party boat, the New Buccaneer out of Galveston. Freeport is another option. As you said, freshwater is everywhere, depending on the species. As a mater of fact, Houston is getting hammered with rain and flooding right now. I lived in Houston 23 years (the second time, 8 years the first time). The Galveston Bay complex (Galveston bay, Trinity bay, East and West bays) offers all kinds of options. Try posting on www.texasfishingforum.com or www.360tuna.com

3. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    I lived there for a few years in the 80's. There is good fishing along the coast, we drive down and just go wade fishing and catch all kinds of fish. Pretty fun,better beach fishing than here. Best titty bars too. Been a couple decades though

mrkrabs likes this.
  4. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    Lets hope they have some new dancers.

5. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
    :D
    1432799910_3.gif

6. azbaseball

azbaseball Member

Name:
    mike de vito
    Boat:
    20ft nitro
    If your son can get a float tube or Yak he can fish the coast and bays. Tasty flounder similar to halibut but not as big and they are all over the sandy flats in the bay. Red fish and sea trout during the seasons all from the beach or piers. Shark fishing can be great at times. The jellyfish and get thick so waders are recommended as far as fresh water the bass and crappie/perch fishing from the bank can be good. better to be again in a tube or yak. The heat can get you quickly drink plenty of fluids. the humidity is dangerous in the summer so fishing at night is a good option. Go visit bass pro is in Houston Bass Pro Shops, 1000 Bass Pro Dr, Houston, TX 77047

7. Day0ne

Day0ne Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
  8. Freddiefish

Freddiefish Newbie

Name:
    Freddie
    Boat:
    Carolina Skiff
    There are plenty of walk in wade spots along the coast if that's what he likes to do. As far as freshwater bank fishing there are a few spots but they seem to be getting fewer every day. When is he moving to Houston? Have him contact me and I can point him in the right direction, or if the timing is right I'll take him and show him some spots.

9. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    My daughter lives in Houston,make sure where he moves is out of the flood zone.Last week she had to move her car to a multi story parking structure to keep her car from getting flooded.She is on a second floor and the first floor apts got some flooding.She is trying to move out of the zone now.FWIW,Tom

10. OffshoreGary

OffshoreGary Newbie

Name:
    Gary Edmonds
    Boat:
    Shamrock 219 WA, Kathryn Ann
    Thanks, everybody. That's exactly what I was looking for. (Not the titty bar part, but the rest of it!!) I'll save the bars for when I come down and visit him! - Thanks again, all!

11. pcde123

pcde123 Newbie

Name:
    PAUL CHOI
    Boat:
    none
    I'd second galveston party boats. Inshore wise Galveston has some of the best Flounder fishing in all of texas. I'd youtube Brian McPherson, funny guy that fishes pretty well. If he likes freshwater fish to eat, id recommend him getting into White bass fishing in the spring.