House Bank Issue w/ 6-volts - First Time Poster

Kyle Hughes

Aug 20, 2017
Dana point, ca
Name
kyleinthewild
Boat
Safari 28
Hi All, first-time poster here. Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction for a house battery bank issue.

My house bank was originally setup with four 6-volt deep cycle batteries in parallel to create the equivalent of two 12-volts deep-cycles. I replaced two of the 6-volts with two 12-volt deep cycles. The other two 6-volts are still hooked up in parallel.

Since then, I've ran the boat 4 miles offshore and the house bank depleted and wasn't recharged by the alternators. I noticed a lot of new corrosion on the 6 volts.

My hypothesis is that there's an imbalance between the 6-volts and 12-volts that are in parallel causing the acid to boil.

Notes:
  • Still not able to run electronics on shore power
  • Panel in the galley shows power and battery charger does turn on and shows it's currently charging. My guess is it's charging the cranking batteries?
  • Accessory panel hooked up to the regular 12-volt deep cycle seems to still be running

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Where is the battery switch, house 1, house 2 or both.
I don't think you can run the set-up you have created on both, is there a inverter with a amp hour monitor?.

Upvote 0

Kyle Hughes

Aug 20, 2017
Dana point, ca
Name
kyleinthewild
Boat
Safari 28
Where is the battery switch, house 1, house 2 or both.
I don't think you can run the set-up you have created on both, is there a inverter with a amp hour monitor?.

There's 2 battery switches for the house bank (one bank is connected to the inverter which I've never used). I'm having a difficult time understanding exactly what's happening since the boat (sadly) didn't come with a schematic.

Thinking it might be time to get an electrician to take a peek since my knowledge of circuits is elementary at best?

Upvote 0

Larry3215

Almost A Member
Mar 1, 2014
Name
larry
Boat
SeaNymph
I agree, you need to get a marine electrician out to look at the boat. It would take way too much typing just to list out all the possible things that could be wrong.

Reactions: sickcat
Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Sounds like a charging problem. Invest in a good multimeter that is able to read DC Amps, once you know all batteries are charged turn on your "loads" and take a reading from both the dual 6 volt battery bank as well as the 12 volt battery bank. Note which number the battery switch is on for which ever battery is being drawn from.

Your next test is going to be checking to see which batteries are being charged both on shore power and from the alternator or generator depending on what you have. Switch your meter to volts and take a reading to see which bank if any are being charged. As said above, note which number your battery switch is on.

Turn the switch to the other number and ensure that you are getting the same results as the previous number.

My guess is that your charging lines are not feeding one or both of your house banks on. As well as your batteries are not in good health. The reason I say this is because if it was being charged from the battery charger on shore power, they should be lasting a hell of a lot longer than 4 miles offshore, if they were being charged off your alternator than it wouldn't be an issue as the boat was running, unless of course your alternator is faulty or undersized.

Either way, you need to get a good marine electrician down there to sort everything out. The last thing you want to ruin your day is a dead battery.

Upvote 0

bent rod todd

Ling cod killa
    Jun 5, 2011
    Auburn,ca
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    Skipjack 20 open (Ding A Ling) 14ft mirrocraft ( Lil Ding A Ling)
    I'd check the batteries to make sure they are good then the alternator, if they are good then the electrician should be called. I like figuring out my problems so if they return I have an idea of what to do. YouTube could be your friend

Upvote 0

bent rod todd

Ling cod killa
    Jun 5, 2011
    Auburn,ca
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    On a side note and I'm no electrician, I'd change to strictly 12 volt if possible, seems to me you had 24 volts originally, 4 , 6 volt and removed two of the 6 volts and added 2 12 volts which would put you at 36 volts.
    May not matter I'd dont know . I really think it comes down to battery condition or alternator.

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    He probably had the 6-volts wired in series/parallel. Now that he has 2-6 volts and 2- 12 volts, the 6 volts should remain in series/parallel and the 12 volts should be wired as parallel only.

The series would bump the the 2-6 volts to 12 volts and the parallel will increase the amp hours. Where as the parallel only on the 12-volts will only increase the amp hours and keep the voltage at 12 volts.

upload_2019-5-17_9-26-38.png

Reactions: sickcat and clevel
    Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 19, 2006
    Irvine
    Name
    Mike_I
    Boat
    Cabo 216 First Love
    Before you do anything else. If you had 4 6 volt batteries connected in parallel, meaning all pluses connected together and all negatives connected together, you would only have 6 volts not the equivalent of two 12 volters, yes volters is a word. Your batteries would need to be connected in series/parallel. Two 6 volt batteries connected in series to get 12 volts and then both pairs connected in parallel to increase the amphour capacity. You can search for a diagram of connecting batteries in series/parallel. After getting that straight you can proceed to any other issue. I may be bumming around in the dana point area tomorrow (saturday) if you need another set of eyeballs.

UPDATE:

Capt.C.Delany is right on, he must have posted while I was spell checking my post 20 times

Hi All, first-time poster here. Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction for a house battery bank issue.

My house bank was originally setup with four 6-volt deep cycle batteries in parallel to create the equivalent of two 12-volts deep-cycles. I replaced two of the 6-volts with two 12-volt deep cycles. The other two 6-volts are still hooked up in parallel.

Since then, I've ran the boat 4 miles offshore and the house bank depleted and wasn't recharged by the alternators. I noticed a lot of new corrosion on the 6 volts.

My hypothesis is that there's an imbalance between the 6-volts and 12-volts that are in parallel causing the acid to boil.

Notes:
    • Still not able to run electronics on shore power
    • Panel in the galley shows power and battery charger does turn on and shows it's currently charging. My guess is it's charging the cranking batteries?
    • Accessory panel hooked up to the regular 12-volt deep cycle seems to still be running

Upvote 0

bent rod todd

Ling cod killa
    Jun 5, 2011
    Auburn,ca
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    Before you do anything else. If you had 4 6 volt batteries connected in parallel, meaning all pluses connected together and all negatives connected together, you would only have 6 volts not the equivalent of two 12 volters, yes volters is a word. Your batteries would need to be connected in series/parallel. Two 6 volt batteries connected in series to get 12 volts and then both pairs connected in parallel to increase the amphour capacity. You can search for a diagram of connecting batteries in series/parallel. After getting that straight you can proceed to any other issue. I may be bumming around in the dana point area tomorrow (saturday) if you need another set of eyeballs.

UPDATE:

Capt.C.Delany is right on, he must have posted while I was spell checking my post 20 times

I'd take him up on his generous offer.

Reactions: Capt.C.Delany
    Upvote 0

live2fish

I've got bugs...
    Apr 3, 2005
    North OC
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    14' livingston cat, 15’ radon, Parker 2320 @ez_sportfishing
    Ya your terminology is off (I hope)

If 6 volt batteries you run one positive to one negative which turns your 2- 6 volt batteries into a giant 12volt battery

Now if you want to add in 2 12v all you have to do is have your first 2- 6v batteries positive to negative only one line do not connect all terminals or you will go boom

Next you take your 12 volt batteries
    Put the + to + and. - to - and now you have double the juice but still at 12 volts

Attached is a very crude drawing the green would represent your “jumper” cables 2-4awg typically
    809DDC77-45A1-4777-B098-CE135C35647E.jpeg

Reactions: bent rod todd
    Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    As mentioned could be a hundred things. Basic electrical is not too difficult. IMO you would be well served climbing around and tracing some wires and start a schematic for your boat. The electrician won't be with you on the water and spending some time now will increase your trouble shooting skills.

If the 6 volt batteries are getting cooked first thing I would check is the charger connection to them. Sounds like you may be putting 12+ volts into a 6 volt point.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    you should remove the two remaining 6v batteries, and take one of the to 12v batteries and use it where the two 6 volt batteries were , so you have one 12 battery on each bank.. now see if they charge and work correctly... if not then your problem is elsewhere...

Reactions: bent rod todd
    Upvote 0