Hotel, vacation ideas??

OnoMagic

Feb 16, 2006
San Diego
Name
Boyd
Boat
none
My wife and I have been to the East Cape several times where I can escape for a couple of days either panga or boat fishing. Never been to Cabo itself. Where is there a very nice hotel? We would like it close to the water and where it won't take long to get to the docks for a day or a couple of days in a row for charter fishing? Do we even need to rent a car down there or are the restaurants-shops close enough by for us to walk to. I imagine a van would drive us to and from the hotel-airport?? We have been to Rancho Leonero and other similar "fish camp" type places but the wife wants some luxury (not too pricey) this time, that's the deal if I can set it up! Any boats to charter that you have had experiences with, how about restaurants. I know, a lot of questions but what the hell.

dorado50

Well-Known "Member"
May 5, 2006
San Diego
Name
DAVID
Boat
BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
Solmar and Finnistera hotels are very nice places. Located on pacific side, nice cool breeze, away from the major tourists traps yet very close to town and charter docks.

extraction

Jun 30, 2008
Cabo San Lucas
Name
Thomas
Boat
53' Post Sportfisher - Capt. Jaime Gonzalez Jr.
Don't know what your budget is but the Marina Fiesta Hotel which is in the marina is very nice. All the boats are there, shopping for the wife, perfect location. You don't need a car, in fact it's a hassle to park when you're staying this close in town.

Spa Resort & Marina Hotel – Welcome to Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa – Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

The number one restaurant in all of Cabo per Trip Advisor and owed by a good friend from Oregon is Salvatore's.

Cabo San Lucas Restaurants: Read Cabo San Lucas Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

What do you want to spend a day for a boat to fish? What do you want to fish for? The Marlin are already at Finger Bank in big numbers, Dorado over 50 lbs., Sailfish. Tuna, Dorado, Sailfish and Marlin at Golden Gate. I'm not an inshore fishing person so I can't help you there?

Tom

BradGaucho

Feb 21, 2007
Point Loma, CA
Name
Brad A
Boat
2009 Everglades 270CC
Went to the RIU Palace in April. It was my first time going to an all inclusive place. I've generally heard that the food and service are generally poor at these types of places, but the RIU was phenomenol in all aspects. Its a very short cab from town so getting into and out of town shouldn't be very hard on the wallet.

BloodyHooker

Aug 26, 2008
CA
Name
Boat
Rockharbor SC
There are many good hotels in Cabo. You might also want to look into renting a house in Pedragal. Gated community on the mountain over looking town. Its very cool, safe and private.
As far as a rental car, just cab it wherever you go. Cheap and easy!

Backlash

Backlash
Apr 30, 2003
Hesperia, CA
Visit site
Name
Dave Dwiers
Boat
20 Skipjack, BACKLASH
I stayed at the Finestera last year, got the 4th night and the 7th night for free so it averaged out pretty cheap for a 1st class place, 3 pools, killer view and close to the Marina. But a pretty good climb back up the hill (they do have a shuttle though).
Stayed at the Tesoro in May, right on the Marina. It's been completely renovated and is also very nice.

BajaBass

Bummininbaja
Feb 8, 2007
La Paz, BCS
Name
Jon Lundberg
Boat
16ft,Ensenada Boat Works, Mi Sancha/'02 17' Triumph CC
I own a timeshare at Pueblo Bonita Rose. A beautiful place! I am very tired of Cabo though. Last August my wife and I drove from Ensenada to Cabo for our honeymoon. After one day of being in the chaos and high prices of Cabo, the next 6 days we drove all over the East Cape, exploring, fishing, eating, and RELAXING. Cabo is just to hectic for me anymore. But I am old!!!

tclongbeach

Jun 25, 2004
Long Beach ca
Name
Todd
Boat
someone else's
Ive been to cabo over 30 times, so heres my 2 cents...

I've stayed at solmar and finnesterra as well as arco, VDP, la estancia, hilton, fiesta americana, westin, hacienda encantada, tesoro (old plaza las glorias), royal solaris and had friends stay at rui (I went in & saw accomodations- also stayed at rui negril, girlfriend would not go back).

If you want your wife to be happy, I dont recommend finnestera, solmar, tesoro, solaris, or RUI. Rui is new, but the food sucks and its a low class crowd (no offense to anyone bu there was a shooting there when my friend was there).

I do recommend fiesta americana (girlfriends favorite), westin, arco, estancia, palmilla and I am currently booked at cabo azul - which is under construction, but your wife would be VERY happy with the accomodations (su-th or thu-sun for $600 incl tax). hacienda encantada is incredible as well. I stay a lot at VDP, which is a little run down (compared to arco or estancia next door,but better then finn or solmar ) but well worth the money if you need a kitchenette (only $100/nt).

no finnesterra or solmar, esp the old section is pretty bad and your wife wont want to go back....

If you have cash, theres the "one and only palmilla". No question the best in the cabo area. You can launch off the beach at the resort (back at 1 on a panga)- and get picked up in a hummer at SJD.

Good luck. Just remember the key is to keep the wife happy so you can go BACK.

BajaBass

Bummininbaja
Feb 8, 2007
La Paz, BCS
Name
Jon Lundberg
Boat
16ft,Ensenada Boat Works, Mi Sancha/'02 17' Triumph CC
AMEN !!!

out of reach

Sep 13, 2004
san diego
Name
Joe
Boat
44' pacifica
i have also stayed at the RUI, great place, good food, 5 min cab ride to town.
Stayed there a few times as-well, its pretty good for a not to pricey all inclusive. The giant bowl of seafood suprise at the outside buffet was good but did some damage........ They have entertainment and activities the woman might like it. It looks real nice but leaves a little to be desired but for the money it works. I'd go again.