Sep 14, 2005
La Paz, BCS, Mexico
www.Tailhunter-International.com
Name
Jonathan Roldan
Boat
Super Pangas/Pangas
Anglers:

Tonite (Friday Nov 21), a labor strike has closed Hotel Los Arcos. All guests were asked to check out and find other accomodations. This is similar to a strike that hit several years ago. Fortunately, this didn't happen in the middle of our fishing season down here, but this isn't a good thing. We had only a few of our fishing clients and were able to move them to other hotels. So, this is just an FYI heads-up.

If you've got reservations in the next few days or weeks, contact your outfitter here in La Paz or the hotel corporate offices in the U.S. 520-529-4529. Don't call the hotel directly as no one may be answering the phones. No idea how long this might last. The timing isn't real great. But contact your outfitter to help you out or else look for alternative accomodations. If you booked with us, give us a ring or e-mail. If you booked with David Jones, he's on top of things too and will get you dialed-in.

By the way...fishing is pretty darned good. I was out today...wide open on the sierra and cabrilla. Great light tackle fishing. Weather is super too.

Best fishes
Jonathan Roldan
Tailhunter International La Paz

Fred Archer

Big Game's the Name
May 16, 2004
Laguna Niguel/Cabo
Name
Captain Fred Archer
Boat
36 Custom (Cabo)
Good on ya for the head's up on that hotel thing, Jonathon. And kudos for the nice remark about David. You guys run two of the classiest operations down there. I talk to many of both of your customers and they love both of you.

Strikes are bad news down there. Remember "The Buzzard's Roost" in Cabo? Muy malo para todas las personas, verdad? It used to be that folks down there were unaware of never being able to make up lost wages due to a strike, so they tended to go on forever. To the credit of the Mexican people, I never saw any violence towards Gringos who were silly enough to try to cross picket lines. Otherwise, though, I saw a lot of damage done to both the economy and workers' wallets from those things. A shame. I hope it gets settled soon.

Cabrillos y wahoolotes? Muy bueno! Quidado para los pargos colorado! People don't know what they're missing by not doing the inshore thing down thataway. And there's no ruling out tunas, sails and dodos and of course w-w-w-w-w-wah-wah-wah-hooooo inside too. I used to love fishing in tight.

Some sierras, cola amarillos, pargos colorado and a pargo lisa. The squids on the SuperBar on the right are nine inches long, which should give you some idea of the size of those wahoolotes...you don't want any sierra to bite you, but those monsters are flat-out dangerous! We never fished the beach for our sierras unless we were after marlin and wahoo baits - which they are spectacular for. The twenty F line minimum and most of the time the grandes were out on the 50 and even the 100. Fishing that deep was one of the hardest things for my seasoned crew guys to accept - for one trip! Once they saw what was living out there, no problema.

We caught one that weighed a tad over 18 pounds on a very accurate gold scale (not the Manly, the other one...old age and a hard life strike again!). And we ate him. There are a couple of pretty good ones in the pict on the right, too. Love them things! Pass the ceviche.

And again, I hope that strike ends soon. Christmas is coming soon and there are a lot of ninos and ninas who are going to be needing presents.

Attachments

Reel Obsession

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 26, 2007
Battle Ground WA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Seaswirl Striper
That's a pile of sierra Fred. We're headed to Cabo tomorrow AM, taking my 15 year old daughter down for her first warm water fishing trip. I was hoping to get into a decent sierra bite as I think she'd get a reak kick fishing light tackle for them. I assume that the 20, 50, 100 f line you are talking about is fathoms? What's the best bet/tactic for targeting the those guys?

Thanks,
Tim

Fred Archer

Big Game's the Name
May 16, 2004
Laguna Niguel/Cabo
Name
Captain Fred Archer
Boat
36 Custom (Cabo)
Tim,

Yes, fathoms. We used spreaderbars with Toad teasers under them to pull the fish up. You will find very few Cabo boats that would even dream of fishing that deep for them, let alone have and use their sonar to get on the breaks and follow them and use spreaderbars on top of all of that. Renegade Mike is one of the few who I am sure could and would do that, but he is probably all booked up with marlin hounds. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Pescador Paul

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
Hey Tim,

If you catch some sierra I highly recommend you take some of it to Nik-San or the sushi bar next to the Nowhere Bar on the harbor (operated by the brother of the guy who owns Nik-San) and have them prepare it for you. They used to slice it thin, sear it, and served it with a creamy chili sauce for me. It was awesome!

However, I once made the mistake of oredering some sake there. they brought me out a full bottle and it was very expensive, as is all imported alcohol in Mexico. What could I do but drink it all? The hangover was terrible.

In addition to the tactics Fred told you about, very small Rapalas and little hoochies are killer for sierra. You will need to take some light wire, as your skipper may not have any.

Damn, I sure do miss having a boat in Cabo...

Pescador Paul

Bullshipper

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 4, 2006
Yucaipa/San Carlos, Sonora
Name
Jeff
Boat
Prokat 26
That's a pile of sierra Fred. We're headed to Cabo tomorrow AM, taking my 15 year old daughter down for her first warm water fishing trip. I was hoping to get into a decent sierra bite as I think she'd get a reak kick fishing light tackle for them. I assume that the 20, 50, 100 f line you are talking about is fathoms? What's the best bet/tactic for targeting the those guys?

Thanks,
Tim
PLine 4.5" squid skirts splashed on top at 6-7 mph will fill your ice chest with sierra. Green skirt over a pink skirt with a glass bead in each nose, mono 60-80 lb mono leader with a loop, 6/0 single hook. You see the sierras jumping close to shore

and

Rebel black and silver 5.5" articulated fastracs, bought from pradco on the internet cuase they are hard to find. These work good around 5-6 mph for sierra, pargos and bass.

Keone

Tailhunter
Sep 14, 2005
La Paz, BCS, Mexico
www.Tailhunter-International.com
Name
Jonathan Roldan
Boat
Super Pangas/Pangas
Hi Fred:

I went by the hotel this morning and the place was boarded up with plywood. Union workers had camped out in front. No one in. No one out. No violence or picketing or anything. It's just a dead building. I don't know where everyone went. I picked up the newspaper and it said 80 rooms were occupied. We got our people re-situated in other hotels with no problem.

I'm sure David Jones got his Fisherman's Fleet folks taken care of as well. I talked to him as soon as the strike hit and he had things under control with his folks.

I feel badly for the folks who may have gone out to dinner and came back to find out the hotel got closed while they were out or others who arrived last night or today to find out the same thing. Hope it's short. These strikes are never good for anyone...even moreso in such a volatile economy.

I"ll have some photos on my fishing report later.

As for the sierra...wide open. Unlimited. We dragged small rapalas/ yo-zuri/ mirro lure crank baits with small lips in blue/green and black/silver and hammered fish all day. Best of all...not a needlefish in sight!

Jonathan
Tailhunter International La Paz