Hotel close by UCLA

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by albacore11, Jan 26, 2019.

1. albacore11

albacore11 Member Intrepid 200# Club

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Gone but not forgotten
    Have to go down to UCLA Breast Center on Thursday for a consult on Friday. Am totally unfamiliar with that area and am looking for suggestions on where we might be able to stay Thursday night.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Goin Fishin

Goin Fishin Tryin' for my next personal best

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Sea-Jay
    Not that many choices in Westwood. Pricey. W Hotel is about four blocks from UCLA Clinics. Runs about $300/night. Klimpton Hotel Palomar, roughly a mile from the hospital/clinics runs $225. What price range are you looking for? I wish you well.

3. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    Everything in that area is going to be very high priced. If you are looking for something that is reasonable you will probably have to look for something in Culver City. You should be able to find a decent place to stay there for a reasonable amount and you will only be a few minutes away from UCLA. Also traffic in that area can get really bad especially during rush hour.

4. gnehekul

gnehekul I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Fishead
    Boat:
    cash carrying ho
    What time is your meeting on Friday? If not too early then lax would be your best bet but if it's early that's almost a 1.15 drive

5. Reel 007

Reel 007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    You should be able to find something on the eastern end of the city Santa Monica.
    Wilshire/Centinela, Bundy/Pico, Westwood/Pico, there are a couple of motor inns on Westwood Blvd north of Santa Monica Blvd.
    Caveat: I use to work in that area ten years ago, lots may have change.
    Good Luck.

6. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Chris,

Agree with Reel 007 and looking around the Los Angeles/Santa Monica border. Also as noted, rush hour traffic can be terrible, and parking at UCLA can be confusing. It could be simplest and easiest to take a "Big Blue" Santa Monica bus to campus; there are many routes that run along Wilshire, Santa Monica Blvd and others that will drop you off across the street from the Med Center and take you back, and they run frequently. Also as noted, if your appointment is 11:00 or later and you're out by 3:00, you can avoid most traffic and stay in the SFV or elsewhere, but the more out of that range you are, the more traffic you will face. UCLA also has a hotel on campus on the northeast part of campus (the Med Center is at the southern end); I don't know if you'd be eligable to use it or the cost, but the convenience might make it worth it.

I'd also find out in advance EXACTLY where in the Med Center you need to go and the best way to get there. The complex is huge and it can be very confusing and difficult to find your way through there if you simply walk in a door and start looking.

Best of luck.

Brad

7. O'Bryan

O'Bryan Member

Name:
    Brian M
    Boat:
    Aorta
    Definitely do a dry run thursday so you know where you're going on friday so you're not late. As pointed out, the area is very confusing, and traffic isn't very accommodating to someone who appears lost. My sister goes bi-monthly and I have gone with her twice, I have no idea how she does it, makes me crazy. Even the parking structures are confusing. Best of luck.

8. Goin Fishin

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Sea-Jay
    You may want to look into the Good Nite Inn (used to be called Azul Inn) on Santa Monica Blvd. It's about $130 per night. Basic motel. Looks pretty clean from the outside. Haven't stayed there. I've lived near UCLA for a long time, so I've passed by it many, many times. It's about 1/4 mile east of Westwood Blvd. It's under 2 miles to the UCLA Clinics. I think parking is $12 at UCLA Medical Plaza, but if you don't want to drive, you can catch the Big Blue Bus on the NE corner of Santa Monica & Westwood. It will take you into UCLA. There is traffic on Westwood Blvd in the morning and particularly in the late afternoon/rush hour period. Hope this helps.

9. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    The only hotel on campus now is part of the Luskin Center, which is only a block north of Reagan, but it is very nice, I imagine the pricing follows.

There are a few other hotels on Hilgard around The W that are cheaper, I think like $150-200. Try to stay east of the 405. N/S traffic isn't that bad on side streets, crossing the 405 is what takes time during rush hour.

10. jerryl

jerryl Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    N/A
    Wherever you choose to stay, it's probably more time efficient and more economical to Uber, because of the parking situation.

11. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
  12. Goin Fishin

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Sea-Jay