Horseshoe Wed, NPH Thurs, and a big boat!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by deluxe247, Mar 31, 2011.

1. deluxe247

deluxe247 Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Yours
    Got a little lazy, so here is a combined report showing off my lack of skills but as you'll read it could have been worse!

Wednesday: decided to hit up the west end of horseshoe kelp. I never rock fish, so this was new stuff to me. It was a little foggy in the morning, but a pretty smooth ride heading out there. We fished mainly a dropper loop/double dropper loop, or metal jig with a loop above it and strip of squid. Fished in waters ranging from 150 ft to 250ft. I wound up with 2 sand dabs, and 4 of these little guys:
    [​IMG]
    These guys were all released, however all but 1 ended up as bird food, or maybe they all did.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thursday: My buddy Fernando and I invited our friend Calvin to come along with us to Newport Harbor for the first time. The last couple of outings we've had yielded pretty good results, but today was different!
    Fernando schooled us both today, catching 2 spotties, and farming one as he approached to lip it.
    [​IMG]
    I had 3 short bites, and something bit my big hammer and line clean off after 3 seconds of pulling, small barrie perhaps? However I got the skunk!

Bad news: Calvin got skunked as well and was soaked from the waist down due to a hole/tear in his waders, but still fished on. Unfortunately he turned his Kistler Helium II into a two piece:
    [​IMG]
    Let's just say, he wasn't fighting a fish when it happened.

Cruisin through the harbor, we came across a big boat, anyone have any info on it? It looked pretty cool!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bonus underwater shot of a halibut last time:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading!

2. the Goodlife

the Goodlife SMILE!!!!! YOUR NOT DEAD!

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    14 & 20' Bayliner, Thee Goodlife & Captin Morgan
    Looks Like You Guy's Had A Great Time... Even With Your Buddies Wet Lower Half... (that Sucks!!!) :shithappens::rofl::rofl: WTG At Least Ya Got Out!!:2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1:

3. Cheney

Cheney SkateAndDestroy

Name:
    Cheney
    Boat:
    none
    WTF BOAT? Starts as 1 hull at the bow then leads to 2 pontoon style? How can they see in front of them from the cabin :lmao: Looks like an odd shaped boat to me, but hell it must have cost a fortune, so they did something right.

4. bhatch

bhatch Newbie

Name:
    bill Hatch
    Boat:
    egg harbor 33
    There was an article in The Log a few weeks back about it. If I recall correctly its a mothership for a submersable that will take folks on underwater tours (not in Newport). I believe that its just on a can temporarily until they establish an operating location.

5. REELKING

REELKING Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MR.CHIN
    Boat:
    THE MIGHTY VICTORY
    wow..cool pics thanks for the report

6. 247

247 Newbie

Name:
    JONES
    Boat:
    22' Bahia
    Hali pic is cool.

7. JoeGoFish

JoeGoFish Piscor

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Shopping
    I found these links talking about it. It sounds interesting and because of it's size it should make good structure for Spotties and other critters. Enjoy.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2011/02/rich_mans_submarine_may_be_com.php

http://www.dailypilot.com/news/tn-dpt-0211-submarine-20110209,0,7582525.story

8. tekguy

tekguy Newbie

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    none
    enjoying the saltiga. the reel looks bitchin

9. deluxe247

deluxe247 Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Yours
    Thanks for the research, very interesting!

Mike- The real is awesome, the gold saltiga is sweet! hopefully I'll be pulling up some yellowtail on the surface plug soon instead of micro rockfish!

10. Swarthy Dago

Swarthy Dago Coredor de las olas

Name:
    My name is Nobody
    Boat:
    n/a
    Here's an excerpt from the article.

"The Newport Beach-based yacht racer and businessman has intentions of taking the submarine to the world's five deepest waters--including the Pacific Ocean's Mariana Trench, which is believed to be the deepest point in the Earth's crust--and discovering what exactly is going on down there through the use of his manned "flying" submarine. A 3-D IMAX movie could follow. And specimens to experiment on could be captured."

Specimens to experiment on. Nice..... He want's to take it deep, real deep. I see an implosion in this guys life.