Horseshoe Kelp same day 7/23/18

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by SpoonerMcGavin, Jul 23, 2018.

1. SpoonerMcGavin

SpoonerMcGavin Newbie

Name:
    Jason Buehler
    Boat:
    one that floats
    Fished east and middle spots on Horseshoe Kelp today, east end went wide open on bass and barracuda (you guessed it) for about 2 hours from around 11-1 (a legal fish per cast with most casts resulting in a battle for your bait top water between multiple fish), water temps were 68-69°, water was pretty green with a steady southwest -> northeast current. Most of the fish we hooked were pretty decent size (almost all bass were legal length), with the standout being a log of a cuda that I thought was a yellow due to the couple blistering runs it went on. No pics since it was a cuda and not a yellow. Bait worked best, a colt sniper was working in the morning but shut off when it went gangbusters, they would't touch an iron. It was a fun way to spend the morning for sure. All fishies released to fight another day. The dogs weren't on the hunt today for some reason, which was a pretty refreshing change of pace from the usual game.

jscott, flytie, kbray001 and 13 others like this.
  2. Eatmorfish

Eatmorfish Livin' on borrowed time

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    2018 234 Mako CC
    Thanks for the report.

3. reelbadlarry

reelbadlarry Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    23ft parker, reel bad
    Thanks for the timely report.......sounds like a tough day on the water...

4. ja73

ja73 Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Arima SC16
    Nice report. I was out there last Friday just before the wind started kicking up. A couple Calicos and cudas chased my sardines but no takers.
    Glad to see some life coming back out there again.

SpoonerMcGavin likes this.