Horseshoe, Izors and around. 6/10/18 either i suck at fishing or the local fishing sucks!

bitesomthing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
Fished the area from izors to horseshoe. today and could not by a bite more than a perch. Very slopy water to start with, swells from all directions, 5 mph wind, 64\65 degree water, found decent meter marks but no Takers. used Sardine, cut squid, iron. i could barelt find a bird. was off water by 1130am.. Frustration had set in. even tried for halibut in the harbor did catch a lizard fish. i have had a rough few weeks out there and am ready to pull my hair out. usual spots just arent working and new spots are the same.......

Kep your Rod bent!
Chris

NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
www.oldspoolfishingcharters.com
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
Sorry to hear about the tough time out. Was at Newport Artificial reef today and it was very slow. Headed to the pipe and got into a wide open bite that lasted for hours. Sardine was definitely the ticket but am sure plastics would have worked well too. Trust your fishfinder and chum the marks. If no action in 10 mins or so, move on. In summer you should be getting boils on chummed sardines pretty quickly if there are any fish on the surface nearby.

Reactions: mkfriedrich

clevel

Skipper
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
I felt the same way the last few months! Found some near shore temp at 66 degrees F and finally got on to some calico and sand bass around 35 ft by San Clemente yesterday! Appears like the bite is on the upswing!

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Gwendolyn
This south swell will push all that green water out of Izors and the Horseshoe hopefully and it will be a totally different weekend next week.

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
If it were easy. Everyone would have a boat.
Remember, you could have been working.

Last edited:
Reactions: One_Leg

Alienyouth

Fisherwoman for life
Apr 12, 2005
Oceanside
Name
SMK ALIENYOUTH
Boat
lemmego
If I fished only to catch fish I would have quit fishing a long time ago. Been having the same results last handful of times I went out. Still the best part of my week! Keep on fishin!

Reactions: repo805

Paulle37

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 11, 2018
San Pedro
Name
Paul
Boat
1850 sea swirl
Did you notice the pelagic red crabs floating around? I saw a bunch of them. I was out fishing the horseshoe kelp Saturday and didn’t have any luck either. I wonder if the fish have something better to eat now. Read an article that said it was a good thing though because you know the waters are getting warmer when you see those crabs.

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
We were out Saturday out of Long Beach. Conditions were total slop. Very few takers and the only ones that did were on the bottom on red artificials tipped with squid. No other takers. We worked the rigs and some spots outside of the harbor. Came inside when it was too sloppy, which was very early.

Talked to the DFG at the docks, the only people who had fish were at the islands. It will get better.. hang in there.

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
The more you go the more you’ll know,every trip is a learning experience,even when we have a bad day we just keep thinking what we could have done different to increase our odds.
And then we apply that to the next trip,after many trips you have a lot of options no matter the conditions,although sometimes they just don’t want to play,so enjoy being on the water,enjoy your snacks and refreshments,and be happy you got home safe,there’s always food in the fridge!

PacificPredator

Captain
Dec 9, 2010
LBC
Name
Brad
Boat
29' Phoenix Sportfisher
Local (Long Beach) fishing does suck, most of the time.

It's hard to have everything come together...so many variables have to be right when you think about it: good bait, swell / wind / current / tide / water temps / solunar tables / birds / etc.

The problem for us casual fishermen / weekend warriors is...we can't always choose when to fish and pick the perfect conditions to go out. We only get to fish when family / work / etc. allow.

So...this results in frustration when we're forced to fish in crap conditions.

I keep going back because: I learn every trip, get to enjoy the outdoors, spend time with my boys....etc. Fish are just a bonus when we get them.

Keep hitting it!

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Izor's has been a downer for several months and the Shoe quit biting a month ago. Hopefully with warmer water things will improve. Never say die!

Reactions: Joefisherman

simmo13

Nov 12, 2010
Pacific ocean
Name
Simmo
Boat
Looking
What Cory said. Izors has been slow. Horseshoe seems to be a ghost town, for biting fish. But the meter speaks a different story. The volume of bait in the water I think directly affects the fish biting a fishermans line. When the bait starts disappearing the bite should turn on. We hope. Because right now it's all you can eat lots and lots of bait, everywhere.
But, you've obviously seen the white seabass are chasing bait around and there have been multiple connections so cool. The halibut are showing up in old haunts but no one fishes halibut anymore haha. And with halibut you gotta put your time in. At least 3-4 hours of drifting pounding the spot. Patience. Anyway sorry for the rant keep working at it. You will get better.

beerman1

Jul 14, 2014
OC
Name
eric
Boat
triumph 17 CC
I launched out of Cabrillo yesterday and met a buddy at the wall. We went outside and he wasn't comfortable in his little whailer, so we went back and fished inside. We had a steady pick of bass all morning...all on plastics. After hearing your report, I'm glad I didn't run to Izors(my original destination) It'll pick up

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
Izor's has been a downer for several months and the Shoe quit biting a month ago. Hopefully with warmer water things will improve. Never say die!
This is the guy who will catch fish out of LB if there is any to be caught.... Listen to Cory!

Joefisherman

Mar 27, 2007
California
Name
Joe
Boat
none
Fished all day Saturday (6/9) - started at the pipe trolling 6" sardines. Had several strikes - seemed to be small Barracudas from the look of the demolished bait. Anchored up and chummed for awhile with no bites. Headed to Corona Del Mar to see if we could get some bass - just 1 small sheep head. Gonna give it a couple of weeks and try again. Great day on the water though - better than work any day.

ja73

Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16
Izors was my go to spot, but I've noticed since last year, Izors has turned off. Seems the fish in the local spots are getting a serious case of lock jaw.
Hope the fish will start wanting to get in our boats soon. But again a crappy day fishing, beats any day at work.

BellyBuster

Oct 7, 2004
CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
KeyWest 1720
Sunday was super slow in the morning around Izors and the horseshoe, but turned on like a switch around 11. We found a shit load of birdschools with cudas eating micro-chovies. Looked like discovery channel out there. WFO on tady Black n white.

Reactions: jscott

moz2121

Captain
Jun 12, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
Ivan
Boat
CC
Yup... wfo on the cuda ...and most stones in about 100 to 120ft had good sand bass on em...it was straight stupid after 11am had the whole school as far as the eye can see all to ourselves

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Stefan
Boat
Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
Guys you have to find conditions. Sometimes it takes hours to find a spot with some conditions
For local fishing I prefer off colored to clear. In some places Saturday the green water was 67 degrees, I likey!!!!!

Mikefromlb

Aug 14, 2014
LB Shoreline Marina
Name
Mike T
Boat
"Cali Dreamin" 33' Tiara Open
Fished Izor’s today 06/12/2018 for a couple shorts. Water temp. 65, small swell with little wind.. Fished with 3 - 4 other boats that covered the entire reef with periodic moves. No birds, bait in the water and only 1 sea lion. Tried sardines from Nacho that were large, squid strips, fresh dead whole squid, plastics and hookup baits for nada. Once the sun came out, it was beautiful on the water.
Will try again in a couple weeks. Nice to get the rust off!

monster1

Typical striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
We fished izors on the 10th. Water was dirty. Very poor conditions. No fish. The 11th we trolled xraps on the shoe/150 for a few barracuda. Water looked much better and was blue. Better than working I guess.