Horseshoe, Izors and around. 6/10/18 either i suck at fishing or the local fishing sucks!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by bitesomthing, Jun 10, 2018.

1. bitesomthing

bitesomthing Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    always upgrading
    Fished the area from izors to horseshoe. today and could not by a bite more than a perch. Very slopy water to start with, swells from all directions, 5 mph wind, 64\65 degree water, found decent meter marks but no Takers. used Sardine, cut squid, iron. i could barelt find a bird. was off water by 1130am.. Frustration had set in. even tried for halibut in the harbor did catch a lizard fish. i have had a rough few weeks out there and am ready to pull my hair out. usual spots just arent working and new spots are the same.......

Kep your Rod bent!
    Chris

mhanson59hb, fishsmith and jscott like this.
  2. tmines

tmines Dead Engine :(

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    SkipJack 20 Open
    Be patient and keep at it. Fishing is tough sometimes, it will get better.

3. NewportMatt

NewportMatt Old Spool

Name:
    Captain Matt Schubert
    Boat:
    Frances B - WorldCat 26
    Sorry to hear about the tough time out. Was at Newport Artificial reef today and it was very slow. Headed to the pipe and got into a wide open bite that lasted for hours. Sardine was definitely the ticket but am sure plastics would have worked well too. Trust your fishfinder and chum the marks. If no action in 10 mins or so, move on. In summer you should be getting boils on chummed sardines pretty quickly if there are any fish on the surface nearby.

mkfriedrich likes this.
  4. clevel

clevel Captain in Learning

Name:
    Cabo Jack
    Boat:
    Cobia 261
    I felt the same way the last few months! Found some near shore temp at 66 degrees F and finally got on to some calico and sand bass around 35 ft by San Clemente yesterday! Appears like the bite is on the upswing!

5. bazzturd

bazzturd I fish in the ocean, not the internet

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Gwendolyn
    This south swell will push all that green water out of Izors and the Horseshoe hopefully and it will be a totally different weekend next week.

6. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    If it were easy. Everyone would have a boat.
    Remember, you could have been working.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    One_Leg likes this.
  7. Alienyouth

Alienyouth Fisherwoman for life

Name:
    SMK ALIENYOUTH
    Boat:
    lemmego
    If I fished only to catch fish I would have quit fishing a long time ago. Been having the same results last handful of times I went out. Still the best part of my week! Keep on fishin!

repo805 likes this.
  8. Paulle37

Paulle37 Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    1850 sea swirl
    Did you notice the pelagic red crabs floating around? I saw a bunch of them. I was out fishing the horseshoe kelp Saturday and didn’t have any luck either. I wonder if the fish have something better to eat now. Read an article that said it was a good thing though because you know the waters are getting warmer when you see those crabs.

9. flytie

flytie Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    GC
    Boat:
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    We were out Saturday out of Long Beach. Conditions were total slop. Very few takers and the only ones that did were on the bottom on red artificials tipped with squid. No other takers. We worked the rigs and some spots outside of the harbor. Came inside when it was too sloppy, which was very early.

Talked to the DFG at the docks, the only people who had fish were at the islands. It will get better.. hang in there.

10. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    The more you go the more you’ll know,every trip is a learning experience,even when we have a bad day we just keep thinking what we could have done different to increase our odds.
    And then we apply that to the next trip,after many trips you have a lot of options no matter the conditions,although sometimes they just don’t want to play,so enjoy being on the water,enjoy your snacks and refreshments,and be happy you got home safe,there’s always food in the fridge!

11. PacificPredator

PacificPredator Captain

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    29' Phoenix Sportfisher
    Local (Long Beach) fishing does suck, most of the time.

It's hard to have everything come together...so many variables have to be right when you think about it: good bait, swell / wind / current / tide / water temps / solunar tables / birds / etc.

The problem for us casual fishermen / weekend warriors is...we can't always choose when to fish and pick the perfect conditions to go out. We only get to fish when family / work / etc. allow.

So...this results in frustration when we're forced to fish in crap conditions.

I keep going back because: I learn every trip, get to enjoy the outdoors, spend time with my boys....etc. Fish are just a bonus when we get them.

Keep hitting it!

james9997, tmines, jscott and 2 others like this.
  12. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Izor's has been a downer for several months and the Shoe quit biting a month ago. Hopefully with warmer water things will improve. Never say die!

Joefisherman likes this.
  13. simmo13

simmo13 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Simmo
    Boat:
    2007 17' Baja bayrunner
    What Cory said. Izors has been slow. Horseshoe seems to be a ghost town, for biting fish. But the meter speaks a different story. The volume of bait in the water I think directly affects the fish biting a fishermans line. When the bait starts disappearing the bite should turn on. We hope. Because right now it's all you can eat lots and lots of bait, everywhere.
    But, you've obviously seen the white seabass are chasing bait around and there have been multiple connections so cool. The halibut are showing up in old haunts but no one fishes halibut anymore haha. And with halibut you gotta put your time in. At least 3-4 hours of drifting pounding the spot. Patience. Anyway sorry for the rant keep working at it. You will get better.

tmines, jscott and kookfarmer like this.
  14. beerman1

beerman1 Member

Name:
    eric
    Boat:
    triumph 17 CC
    I launched out of Cabrillo yesterday and met a buddy at the wall. We went outside and he wasn't comfortable in his little whailer, so we went back and fished inside. We had a steady pick of bass all morning...all on plastics. After hearing your report, I'm glad I didn't run to Izors(my original destination) It'll pick up

15. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    This is the guy who will catch fish out of LB if there is any to be caught.... Listen to Cory!

16. Joefisherman

Joefisherman Member

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    none
    Fished all day Saturday (6/9) - started at the pipe trolling 6" sardines. Had several strikes - seemed to be small Barracudas from the look of the demolished bait. Anchored up and chummed for awhile with no bites. Headed to Corona Del Mar to see if we could get some bass - just 1 small sheep head. Gonna give it a couple of weeks and try again. Great day on the water though - better than work any day.

17. ja73

ja73 Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Arima SC16
    Izors was my go to spot, but I've noticed since last year, Izors has turned off. Seems the fish in the local spots are getting a serious case of lock jaw.
    Hope the fish will start wanting to get in our boats soon. But again a crappy day fishing, beats any day at work.

18. BellyBuster

BellyBuster Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    KeyWest 1720
    Sunday was super slow in the morning around Izors and the horseshoe, but turned on like a switch around 11. We found a shit load of birdschools with cudas eating micro-chovies. Looked like discovery channel out there. WFO on tady Black n white.

jscott likes this.
  19. moz2121

moz2121 Member

Name:
    Ivan
    Boat:
    1720 Key West CC
    Yup... wfo on the cuda ...and most stones in about 100 to 120ft had good sand bass on em...it was straight stupid after 11am had the whole school as far as the eye can see all to ourselves

20. michaelwong5

michaelwong5 Newbie

Name:
    Michael Wong
    Boat:
    FBC HB
    Try staying out later. I was on a killer bite near huntington last Wednesday for barracuda